Gills dream team poll nominations. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Gills dream team poll nominations.

Honourable mentions for our best cameo keepers, loved Seamus McDonagh’s dozen or so games on loan in the mid eighties, first keeper I saw bowl the ball out beyond the halfway line. Similar era David Fry especially that cup performance (away at Bradford?), and of course Joey Dunne.

And then drop them.
I don't rate Bonham as highly as some of our top keepers. But on the games I have seen I would definitely see him being in the top half of our keeper history. And above a one or two keepers named as seriously as nominations. He was one of Evans best summer signings in my view.

Honourable mentions for our best cameo keepers, loved Seamus McDonagh’s dozen or so games on loan in the mid eighties, first keeper I saw bowl the ball out beyond the halfway line. Similar era David Fry especially that cup performance (away at Bradford?), and of course Joey Dunne.
I remember Seamus McDonagh.A decent keeper I agree with you possibly one of our best ever loan keepers .If not the best .Thanks for the reminder.Believe he is currently Goalkeeper coach at Forest.Read on a Bolton Wanderers fan site he scored for them against Burnley having hit the bar with a shot ten minutes earlier. Not sure how many keepers have managed that in one game.

Last edited:
Nominations now open for best ever right back I will set it up when the Goalkeepers vote is over around 15th April.

From my time watching: Mel Sage, George Burley (only here a season and in the twighlight of his career but still had some quality). Richard Green, Joe Dunne and lastly Barry Fuller.

I liked Tim O'Shea as a kid growing up playing right back but not actually sure he was that good.

And how do you prove that?

Sorry he only ever played div 3 div 4 football. You can't tell me a manager at Palace or QPR would have left him at Gillingham if he thought he could play higher levels.

I spoke to Johnny Simpson in 1967 or 8 at a end of season do, when I asked if any first or second division clubs had come in for him? He said yes, but the maximum wage did not make it worth his while moving as he was settled in Gillingham, and after it was abolished he was getting to old to interest them. Obviously not a direct quote, but my recollection of it. Also when he signed his autograph it was in copperplate handwriting not the illegible scrawl of today.