Get it done... | Vital Football

Get it done...

LancsGordoRoad

Vital Champions League
.. Paul Scally. Sign up Jack Tucker to a new and improved contract asap - as well as being an ever growing important piece in the Gills defensive line-up this lad is a solid investment for GFC.

Tucker`s current deal expires at the end of the season - for goodness sake, get it done - or are we happy to lose him to another club sooner, and cheaper, than later ??????

Edited to apologise for the lack of political or religious content......

Indeed, sign him up with a great deal. I don't know the background to Eaves' case but I we need to avoid a repeat.

Agreed. Get him on a proper first team contract, for 5 years, with a fairly basic first teamers starting wage initially (but still fair for someone just entering the first team), but with a decent increase to 'good' first team wage level if he plays X games or more this year and next. I.e. in case he becomes a solid first team starter.

It will surely be a big increase on his current first pro contract deal.

All assuming Jacks advisors advise him to sign.

I believe we tried multiple times to get Tom and Tomas to sign. They just didn’t want to.

But it is good that we are on record now as trying to re-sign him.

He’s not the only one who’s contract expires, I hope the club are trying to extend Hanlan’s contract also, not sure on this but I think both Ehmer and Byrne are similarly out of contract at the end of the season aswell.

The problem Re Jack will be if a "big club" is interested in him. Like Chelsea who gobble up young players, few of whom ever make the first team.

few of whom ever make the first team.

This is true, but to be fair to Chelsea (not something I particularly want to do) a fair few of their players do go out on loan. Knowing you'll still get experience in a decent league somewhere round europe and earn a decent bit of money at the same time is probably quite appealing for younger players.

Get it done before Jack puts in an impressive performance on live TV and starts the great whites circling

Agree on Tucker. Let's not repeat mistakes that we've done previously, most recently with Eaves.

I'd love to see Hanlan signed up on a long one too. He's a big talent and huge worker - his finishing has been terrible, but I think if that clicks, and there are signs it's starting too, he's one who could be a great player for us and earn us a lot of money.

Agree on Tucker. Let's not repeat mistakes that we've done previously, most recently with Eaves.

I'd love to see Hanlan signed up on a long one too. He's a big talent and huge worker - his finishing has been terrible, but I think if that clicks, and there are signs it's starting too, he's one who could be a great player for us and earn us a lot of money.

Not sure we made any mistakes with Tom and Tom did we Steve?

The club tried on numerous occasions after his first season to get him tied to a longer contract but he simply refused. Players prerogative.

That’s not a mistake, unless you think we should sign all new players on very lengthy deals and take our chances (of being stuck with a few duffers). Is that maybe what Peterboro do?

Not sure we made any mistakes with Tom and Tom did we Steve?

The club tried on numerous occasions after his first season to get him tied to a longer contract but he simply refused. Players prerogative.

That’s not a mistake, unless you think we should sign all new players on very lengthy deals and take our chances (of being stuck with a few duffers). Is that maybe what Peterboro do?
That sounds about right and I guess we were not in a position to make offers that could not be refused.

May have already left it too late on Tucker.Scally operates on keeping wages low and only offers a increase when it is forced on him.Swings and roundabouts in financial terms.On Tucker it will be a real shame to lose him.But there is a massive shortage of good quality centre backs.

May have already left it too late on Tucker.Scally operates on keeping wages low and only offers a increase when it is forced on him.Swings and roundabouts in financial terms.On Tucker it will be a real shame to lose him.But there is a massive shortage of good quality centre backs.
Let it too late? Would you really have offered him a new long term deal earlier? When exactly would you have offered him a deal? Are there any orher players youd offer a new deal now then? Just want to know so i can remind you that we would still be lumbered with their wages when we get rid because they tuen out to be no good. I find there's a lot of hindsight with football fans, and alot of fans who dont realise you cant just hand out new contra ts willy nilly and still operate at the same budget.

Let it too late? Would you really have offered him a new long term deal earlier? When exactly would you have offered him a deal? Are there any orher players youd offer a new deal now then? Just want to know so i can remind you that we would still be lumbered with their wages when we get rid because they tuen out to be no good. I find there's a lot of hindsight with football fans, and alot of fans who dont realise you cant just hand out new contra ts willy nilly and still operate at the same budget.

All very true AK.

Those GiTB guys made a decent point on their latest blog. It would be probable that some of the windfall from the Cup run would have to go towards offerIng longer improved deals to the likes of Tucker and Hanlon. And another portion of it towards retaining players like O’Connor and Olly Lee who’s loan deals expire in Jan. I’d imagine we would want to keep both of them.