Gerry Summers | Vital Football

Gerry Summers

Condolences, thoughts and prayers for everyone who knew him.
I met Gerry many times as he was a customer in a shop that I worked in whilst he was our manager.
It was largely his Gillingham team that got me hooked on the Gills .
Thanks for the memories Gerry Summers RIP .

Last edited:
The first manager to get us top of the 3rd Div in my supporting years (possibly ever?).

We won 3-1 away at Plymouth and we went top that Saturday night after 10 games. W5-D3-L2 record. How come I remember that so well? It meant that much to this young bloke.

Great times, great manager and a good innings.

RIP Gerry.

The first manager to get us top of the 3rd Div in my supporting years (possibly ever?).

We won 3-1 away at Plymouth and we went top that Saturday night after 10 games. W5-D3-L2 record. How come I remember that so well? It meant that much to this young bloke.

Great times, great manager and a good innings.

RIP Gerry.
I remember that day clearly. I was sooo excited.

Dad and I saw what I believe was his first game managing Gills. It was at Millwall, 2:2 final score. We were in the posh seats, and as he walked along the touchline, Gills supporters revealed themselves scattered among the people there by standing up and cheering. He looked surprised at first, and then gave us all a big thumbs up. A punch up occurred shortly after between Millwall supporters behind us. I said posh seats, but Millwall posh.

Dad was Customs and Excise and did Gills VAT. Mr. Summers and his people always were happy to chat about football when he visited the club, and Dad showed them a couple of things they were doing wrong in their filing and saved them some money.

RIP Mr. Summers