Gerald Sinstadt | Vital Football

Gerald Sinstadt

stokeimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
Has died, age 91. Many of us “older” ones will remember him as a football commentator on ITV. Hadn’t realised that he’d settled in this area after retirement

Decent commentator, but to me Kenneth Wolstenholme was by far the best ever. He did the first ever MOD in 1964 , Liverpool v Arsenal . Commentaries were about the game itself , not including pointless waffle one here from today's so called commentators.

Richie Benaud used to say that the art of the commentator was knowing when not to commentate.

Commentators from Sinstadt's era understood that implicitly, which is curious when you consider many of them came from radio. They were intelligent people too, and many were journalists who transferred their skills from paper to screen with ease. They were great communicators, the precise medium was immaterial.

Today's football commentators in particular seem to fear silence, believing that every second on air has to be filled with something. That is why so much of what they say is cliche-ridden nonsense, recycled and regurgitated without a moment's thought. Instead of having one commentator who is reasonably well-informed and intelligent, we now have three or four 'experts' all competing for air space and adding precisely nothing. Part of the problem is that they are on air for far too long, starting an hour or more before kick-off and having nothing left to say by the time the game starts.

I sometimes watch the re-runs of The Big Match, which are shown by ITV4 on Saturday mornings. Glorious stuff on and off the pitch, and that is the legacy left to us by Gerald Sinstadt and his generation. There aren't many left now, but I remember them all with affection and great respect.

They also have the pre, half time and full time summerisers. Ex pros who many haven't heard of (cheap). Dinosaur ex managers who can no longer get a gig or ec premiershit players who talk the talk.

A proper old-school commentator. Just told you who had the ball. That's all I needed to know back in olden times.
These days most games are ruined by commentators who are determined to get their 57 useless statistics into every match - yes you, Guy Mowbray.

RIP Gerald Sinstadt .... ranks alongside Hugh Johns & Barry Davies for me as one of the best ever commentators.

Here he is at his absolute peak with those immortal lines 'Denis has done it' as the Lawman relegated United. :wahey:

They also have the pre, half time and full time summerisers. Ex pros who many haven't heard of (cheap). Dinosaur ex managers who can no longer get a gig or ec premiershit players who talk the talk.
Oh go on admit it. You have a sneaky peek to see if Roy Keane is on when Manure have shipped three or four in the first half.

Last edited:
RIP Gerald Sinstadt .... ranks alongside Hugh Johns & Barry Davies for me as one of the best ever commentators.

Here he is at his absolute peak with those immortal lines 'Denis has done it' as the Lawman relegated United. :wahey:
That’s the voice so well remembered