Geordie's Want McClaren? | Vital Football

Geordie's Want McClaren?

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Reports today are suggesting that Newcastle are trying to coax Derby's Steve McClaren to be their new manager - starting straight away.

Really? After Saturday?

Heard on Talk Sport this evening that Newcastle have said no changes of personnel before the end of the season.

We won the league cup under McClaren and also played in the UEFA cup final (his last match in charge).
Sometimes though the football under him was boring to say the least!!

Our chairman , Steve Gibson backed him to the hilt (with money) , yet he repaid his faith by actively touting himself for the Leeds job behind Gibbo's back (apparently).
Fair to say that their relationship turned a tad sour after that.

Also , i get the impression that Stevie Mac has to do a manager's job on HIS TERMS , which is fair enough i suppose.
He soon walked away from Forest when promises were supposedly broken.
In that sense - if Mike Ashley runs Newcastle the way the supporters seem to think he does , then i can't imagine McClaren going there (or staying very long if he does).

As I was once told by a former Millers Manager 'the only people who will stand by the club come hell or high water are the fans' - players, managers and even chairman are out for what they can get

Which is why i generally have no sympathy when a manager gets sacked , or a player gets moved on - cos it works both ways.
Most of em would be off if a better offer/bigger club came along for em.
Human nature i guess

Also , don't particularly sympathise with em cos their wages/pay offs normally soften the blow , i would suspect.