General Football thread | Page 37 | Vital Football

General Football thread

Think we agree on a lot but see the manager situation differently, which is fine.

I hope he’s a success and i was a huge advocate of Hughton - underrated at Brighton and an excellent flexible manager. I just expected a lot more than we got and don’t believe a single player has got better under him. Big year ahead
We do largely agree but I think you have a higher view of the team than I have which colours our view of the job Hughton has done.

Christie improved massively although it was hard not to and I would argue that Worrall has kept improving too. Mighten has shown a steady improvement and Garner has just looked better and better to the point that Man Utd are rumoured to be more than happy to loan him back to us.

The players that haven’t improved, to me, were the players who weren’t going to anyway for one reason or another.

Like you though I am hoping that Hughton is given control of the transfers and shows what he can really do. I can’t see us ever being a free-wheeling attacking side under him but some goals and some entertainment would be nice.

I would argue that having Garner, a year older, for a full season puts as much as an extra 10 points on the board.

Obviously knowing us either he will get injured or Man U will have an injury crisis preventing him from leaving.

Agree with that. It’s water under the bridge. Onwards and upwards etc. I just refuse to suggest for one minute that we should credit hughton for keeping us in the division. He and the players underperformed as you say.

The rider to all this is that other teams were in the same position. Others kept their heads and professionalism while we didnt. First time around, as i said, benefit of the doubt. However, it wont wash for another season.

I would argue that having Garner, a year older, for a full season puts as much as an extra 10 points on the board.

Obviously knowing us either he will get injured or Man U will have an injury crisis preventing him from leaving.

Link him to a quality no.10 and a striker we could double that again.

How much would it cost to buy the young player of the season from a club one step below us who were challenging for promotion all that season?

If Johnson’s old man stops opening his mouth and talking a load of DF then Johnson could be a very important player for us next season.

It sounds ironic but he needed the loan to league one to prove that he was too good for it. He will have also learned a lot hopefully which he can bring back with him.

Be interesting to see how it pans out.

If Johnson’s old man stops opening his mouth and talking a load of DF then Johnson could be a very important player for us next season.

It sounds ironic but he needed the loan to league one to prove that he was too good for it. He will have also learned a lot hopefully which he can bring back with him.

I would expect DJ to want the best for him. If that in his opinion is a big transfer then that is what will probably happen. With an ex pro guiding things who knows?

I would expect DJ to want the best for him. If that in his opinion is a big transfer then that is what will probably happen. With an ex pro guiding things who knows?
He may well do but the best clubs are less likely to touch him until they have seen him in the Championship and even then he is likely to be sent straight back there.

It’s taken Bamford nearly ten years to get to the Prem properly after moving too early.

Johnson may make it straight away but it’s doubtful.

There’s also the question of whether potential suitors see what his dad has been saying and decide to look elsewhere on that basis.

It’s crazy when you think that fans are pushing to see Johnson and he has earned a shot at our first team. He is young and has plenty of time so I don’t understand why Johnson Sr would be pushing...

3rd weekend in May?
Must be cup final afternoon. (Why isn't it sunny?) I bet the grass will look nice - always does.

Who is going to win? I think Leicester might do it.

He may well do but the best clubs are less likely to touch him until they have seen him in the Championship and even then he is likely to be sent straight back there.

It’s taken Bamford nearly ten years to get to the Prem properly after moving too early.

Johnson may make it straight away but it’s doubtful.

There’s also the question of whether potential suitors see what his dad has been saying and decide to look elsewhere on that basis.

It’s crazy when you think that fans are pushing to see Johnson and he has earned a shot at our first team. He is young and has plenty of time so I don’t understand why Johnson Sr would be pushing...

You do not understand why Johnson senior is pushing; lets put it this way, it has nothing to do with Brennan's development.

One big move for Brennan will go a long way towards compensating a former player who did not quite hit that one big pay day.

You do not understand why Johnson senior is pushing; lets put it this way, it has nothing to do with Brennan's development.

One big move for Brennan will go a long way towards compensating a former player who did not quite hit that one big pay day.
So, much like Bamford Senior, Johnson Senior is pushing for his own ends?

It may work for him but there’s nothing like a good season in the Championship to really rake the cash in...