General Football thread | Page 33 | Vital Football

General Football thread

Yes, in competition against the plucky low spenders of OSG, Real Madrid and Chelsea.
I presume you mean PSG.

Everyone has more money now, true - my point was that Forest won the league, two league cups and two European cups with a squad impossibly small by today's standards.

That was the secret of their success, too: a settled side.

I presume you mean PSG.

Everyone has more money now, true - my point was that Forest won the league, two league cups and two European cups with a squad impossibly small by today's standards.

That was the secret of their success, too: a settled side.
Yes, and you could do it because everyone else did it that way too

Yes, and you could do it because everyone else did it that way too
Yes, more of a level playing field.

But it's amazing to look at the Forest teams in the title-winning season, with the FA Cup and the League Cup (Shilton and I think Gemmill cup-tied). Virtually the same side every week - just as well we got no crucial injuries (Clough didn't over-train!)

Then you count up the games, that season and next, and realise that some players played 60+ games a season, and appreciate their achievements even more.

I wrote it down once, but it's mind-boggling - Forest WDL over the two years they dominated English football, and the number of games played by most of the crew. The goals are good too, in the cup competitions.

Maybe someday a real Billionaire (not Fawaz) will waste a good portion of their fortune putting us back in the mix. There aren't any "fair" rules prohibiting anyone from doing similar to Man City or Chelsea right?

Indefinitely closed shop fellas and I'm not just talking about the "Champions" League. Football in general is becoming as boring and soulless as our performances under Hughton.

At least Madrid lost though. I always appreciate that.

How do people want to final to pan out? Another English club to get a European cup in man city or Chelsea to equal our x2 time winners medal?

How do people want to final to pan out? Another English club to get a European cup in man city or Chelsea to equal our x2 time winners medal?
Man City for me. Chelsea were good tonight, but I do enjoy watching City play. When they click, they are another level to any other team.

Man City for me. Chelsea were good tonight, but I do enjoy watching City play. When they click, they are another level to any other team.

Think I’d prefer chels just because of the few English clubs that have won it. Also, whilst I know Chelsea are completely money created, they do have an ounce of pedigree. Whilst city play great football, I just find it hard to admire a side that were literally manufactured 12 years ago.

Forest were big spenders sometimes, not sure why people think we wern't, Francis was the first million pound player, that was big news back then

Forest were big spenders sometimes, not sure why people think we wern't, Francis was the first million pound player, that was big news back then

Yes, but we got to the top and earnt the money BEFORE we started spending. When you look back, if it wasn't for his genius, it would be easy to think BC was lucky. Several of our best players were already here, or in the academy (or playing in his back garden!) . Bowyer, Robertson, O'Neill, Anderson, Woodcock, Hodge, Chris Woods, Nigel. Not to mention bargain buys like Birtles, Davenport, Frank Clark, John McGovern etc

Wonder how many England internationals we discovered ourselves in the space of a few years ?

Think I’d prefer chels just because of the few English clubs that have won it. Also, whilst I know Chelsea are completely money created, they do have an ounce of pedigree. Whilst city play great football, I just find it hard to admire a side that were literally manufactured 12 years ago.

Whereas Chelsea were also manufactured in 2003. What's the difference between the two other than a few years?