Gateshead | Page 4 | Vital Football

Gateshead

Always find it bizarre when Club's in financial trouble get fines as well...
It makes no sense at all. So what would happen if Gateshead simply refused to pay it (or were unable to, which is highly likely)? They can hardly kick them out of the league, they have already done that.

Having said that, it does highlight the futility of trying to run a professional football club on gates of 800.

It makes no sense at all. So what would happen if Gateshead simply refused to pay it (or were unable to, which is highly likely)? They can hardly kick them out of the league, they have already done that.

Having said that, it does highlight the futility of trying to run a professional football club on gates of 800.

At some point in the future, they may be refused re-entry to the National League set up if the fine hadn't been paid by then, I suspect.

So the decline in North-East football continues. Five years ago Gateshead were ninety minutes away from a return to The Football League.
I was six when The 'Heed were very undeservedly not reelected reducing the North-East to five league clubs. So it stayed until a few years ago when Darlington collapsed into the ninth tier, with the aid of Mr Reynolds. Then two years ago Hartlepool ran out of the good fortune that had seen them reelected on numerous occasions via the old pals act and were demoted automatically.
So it's three league clubs, one in the fifth tier and the rest down among the dead men. Had Gateshead won that play-off match in 2014 I'm confident supporters would have got behind the club, particularly if the new ground had been built. I see nothing but a bleak future for Gateshead now. Hartlepool is the only club I think might return with a little bit of luck, if all these little clubs with rich sugar-daddies stop springing up.

So the decline in North-East football continues. Five years ago Gateshead were ninety minutes away from a return to The Football League.
I was six when The 'Heed were very undeservedly not reelected reducing the North-East to five league clubs. So it stayed until a few years ago when Darlington collapsed into the ninth tier, with the aid of Mr Reynolds. Then two years ago Hartlepool ran out of the good fortune that had seen them reelected on numerous occasions via the old pals act and were demoted automatically.
So it's three league clubs, one in the fifth tier and the rest down among the dead men. Had Gateshead won that play-off match in 2014 I'm confident supporters would have got behind the club, particularly if the new ground had been built. I see nothing but a bleak future for Gateshead now. Hartlepool is the only club I think might return with a little bit of luck, if all these little clubs with rich sugar-daddies stop springing up.

There is no connection between the Gateshead that was not re-elected and the current side, or is there? Isn't there is quite a big gap between the side not re-elected and the formation of the new side?

At some point in the future, they may be refused re-entry to the National League set up if the fine hadn't been paid by then, I suspect.

Yes exactly that.
They will now need to be accepted into the Northern Premier League in time for new season. Non-payment of the fine may well have implications for that too depending on league & FA rules.

There is no connection between the Gateshead that was not re-elected and the current side, or is there? Isn't there is quite a big gap between the side not re-elected and the formation of the new side?

There have been breaks in the history of Gateshead but I wouldn't say there's no connection. Many clubs have gone out of business but been reinvented (for want of a better word), Accrington Stanley for example.
The link by Bazzzer shows that few clubs have had a more tangled history than Gateshead/South Shields. South Shields FC are now, once again, in a better position than Gatehead, averaging over 1,000 at the seventh level of the pyramid. I trust history won't ever repeat itself and South Shields move to Gateshead again.
Gateshead has a population as big as Lincoln but its misfortune is to be just the width of The Tyne from Newcastle; and to have 95% of its football supporting population following Newcastle United and only one or two percent following The 'Heed.
One final point to reinforce the dwindling importance of the so called "Hotbed of soccer"; in the 1920's eight of the eighty-eight football league clubs were from the North-East. As well as the big three Darlington, South Shields, Ashington, Durham City and Hartlepools United were there.
Anyway, we'll know later today whether Lincoln City will be visiting the North-East in the coming season.

Last edited:
Can't say I'm too disappointed about that as at least Aldershot have the potential to be a self sustaining club at NL level - possibly even get back into the league at some point. Gateshead do have a history but have consistently demonstrated that there is no appetite for sustainable football there after The Toon have hoovered up their catchment area.

Pleased it has survived, but calling it a great club is pushing credibility.

No one outside of the immediate vicinity knows what has gone on there - and the same can be said of Bolton, Bury and the rest - but the EFL/FA must examine the whole area of football club ownership and fit and proper tests with some urgency.

Apparently staying FT on a £375k budget next season.

a) that's still a large budget for their crowds but b) how can you stay FT on that budget?!

Apparently staying FT on a £375k budget next season.

a) that's still a large budget for their crowds but b) how can you stay FT on that budget?!

£250,000 divided amongst the Directors and players on minimum wage is the normal route isn't it?