Gateshead match | Vital Football

Gateshead match

GeordieImp

Vital Youth Team
Well chaps and chappettes - although we have a match on Friday I fully expect a win. I am confident. Our last really tough match is the Heeeds.

Who is coming up to Geordieland? I will advise on bevvies before the match as Gateshead is a dump & the bars even worse - not really a good idea, particulalry wearing what some local will see as Mackem shirts. Newcastle centre is a better idea & only 5 mins on the metro from the Central station or 15 mins walk up from the Quayside. Would like to meet up before just like the Emirates.

Its bank holiday Monday & its a drink fest religion up here. Go to the right places and you will have an enjoyable pre match drink with banter.

Got my tickets. Will park in the city centre and get the Metro to the stadium. Any idea on the usual 'heed crowd? I'm thinking we'll out number them?

Newporter - 12/4/2017 15:43

Got my tickets. Will park in the city centre and get the Metro to the stadium. Any idea on the usual 'heed crowd? I'm thinking we'll out number them?

Averaging 783 this season.

We need to be aware of being over confident for Torquay. Saw a stat that said in their 17 games against the top 10 so far they have only lost 3 times. Their players are behind their manager and they will put up a battle.

Our fun bus leaves at 8 am for Newcastle. There's one going from the Anchor at 7.30 am. The 617 boys are running one and I think there's at least one more. Should be good!

No complacency please. Just have faith and cheer and sing loud. Football has a funny way of punishing those of whom think a team is a pushover. One game you can score 9. The next you're put on your posterior by David Brent.

Quoffing before the game.

My suggestions for Imps are as follows:

Opposite the Central Station there is a pub the Victoria Comet. Never frequented this myself but OK. However, that are a couple of better joints 30 seconds walk away. Looking at the the latter pub there is a Greggs to the left. Head up the lane immediately to the left. There are two pubs The Forth on the right and the City Wall on the left. Either are fine but I do tend to frequent the former. Both very popular pre & post Mag matches. Its 5 mins by metro from the station to the required stop & then 5 mins walk.

The other option is the Quayside and I would reccommend the Pitcher and Piano - not for the beers but the views down the Tyne (directly opposite the Millenium Bridge). 15 min walk from the Central Station It also has a very large area outdoor and about a 20 min walk across that same bridge turn left & then up to the Stadium.

If you want any other advice then reply on here or PM me. However, I would caution on wearing home kit & pubs as you will be a mackem in disguise, particulalry if you chance it in central Gateshead, which is a 15 minute walk - would not bother getting into bother and you have been warned. If want a drink get the metro to the central station - end of or to the Quayside. There is also a McDonalds within 5 min walk on the main road.

Its bank holiday Monday & the Geordies like to drink even more so enjoy! :glug: :cheers:

Got my tickets last night - about 5.30, both in the 980s - so looks set to be a great turn out.

Onward!!!

I think the metro will be a Sunday service but it will be running from 2 pm so not a problem in getting to Gateshead.

Getting the Newcastle for 11:30am so looking for a decent pub/something to eat to kill time. Was going to wear my home shirt but I will pass on that idea now

Sheff imp - 12/4/2017 23:52

Getting the Newcastle for 11:30am so looking for a decent pub/something to eat to kill time. Was going to wear my home shirt but I will pass on that idea now

Do you really think there's a football fan in this country who doesn't know the Imps play in red and white. Fair chance there will be a fair few Newcastle fans at the game.

Wear away colours for an easier time! And if arriving early just wander around - it's a nice city and not that big.

Correct. If you have enough time & not desperate for a session the whole centre is an walkable in a hour. Head out of central station centre entrance/exit. With the same pub Vic Comet in front cross over to it & turn right. Take 1st left and follow the road all the way up to the Monument just over 5 mins stroll. This is the centre on Newcastle. You then have Northumberland Street around the corner, Grey Street behind (one of the finest Georgina streets in UK (&plenty of pubs/eateries) and left up to St james. I would not bother with the Bigg Market bars, they only come alive real late.

As with home kit, its more to do with its bank holiday Monday & bars will be rammed. This may introduce the odd dick head depending on where you end up, particularly local yocal Gateshead bars. Bu then again don't bother. If we were playing newcastle or sunderland in a cup tie we would bring a chunk more fans and hence, I would have no qualms as to kit as there woudl be plenty of us around.

johnolbe - 12/4/2017 23:11

Do you really think there's a football fan in this country who doesn't know the Imps play in red and white. Fair chance there will be a fair few Newcastle fans at the game.

Yes, there are probably thousands. I know of an incident of a Newcastle supporter getting a bit lairy with somebody wearing a Lincoln shirt and thinking it was Sunderland. It happened in Lincoln too...

I couldn't name you the colours of every team in the country so I suspect the fact that we wear red and white might have by-passed a few Newcastle fans.

I hope that admitting that I don't know the colours of every team I'm not considered any less of a supporter...I'm already reeling from the fact I had to admit I wasn't at Haig Avenue in 1975.

Big Jack McGinley - 13/4/2017 08:00

I hope that admitting that I don't know the colours of every team I'm not considered any less of a supporter...I'm already reeling from the fact I had to admit I wasn't at Haig Avenue in 1975.

The criminality of BJM knows no bounds! :pointy:

What time does the ticket office close on Friday? I mean, if results go our way, there might be a sudden rush after FT...

Take your pick on Mags thinking your a Mackem. The fiercest big club rivaly outside Gkssgoe on these shores are up here. Yes there is banter in the work place but there are morons like anywhere. Some people will not set foot in one city or the other (I know of 2 & 1 has a 1st class degree) - just like not going to Grimessssby - not.

:finger:

NottyImp - 13/4/2017 00:58

Big Jack McGinley - 13/4/2017 08:00

The criminality of BJM knows no bounds! :pointy:

I'd ike several thousand other offences taken into account... :eek:ld11: