Gary Roberts | Page 3 | Vital Football

Gary Roberts

What a game today eh!!! Me and t'owd man really enjoyed it!

We had to sit in the Mansfield main stand, but sat very close to the Pompey end. You were magnificent with the singing and chanting, loved it!

Nowt wrong with a point away, but I thought you were going to nail it. We'll have to find another ground where you will be playing up north, and see you play again.

Good luck for the rest of the season!!

P.S. Hope you can understand my northern speak, lol!!!

Lol, get the northern speak rybel - would you get the southern though!

Wasn't at the game so cannot comment too much but was under the impression it wasn't that great? Maybe as an impartical fan it helped?

A point away at Mansfield would usually be taken, without a doubt but at this stage of the season (for what we want to achieve) isn't enough in reality...

Oh dear PR. Nowt wrong with the game to me, lol. Last match I saw at Fratton Park was in the 60's.
However, when t'owd man retired, we took daughter [who was born at Bolands RN Maternity Home] back to see where she was born etc. We took the two very young grandsons as well, and went to show them Fratton Park. No match, but they were allowed [in those days] just to have a quick walk on to the pitch.

They absolutely loved it. Never forgotten that day, even though they are now 19 and 23 years old, lol!! If I remember rightly, we even bought them Pompey shirts!

Lol, re the local twang PR, I understand southern accents....just!!! T'owd man comes from Swanage in Dorset. Oooo ar, oo arh!

The February nominations for the Sky Bet League 2 Goal of the Month Award are in.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?578941">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Portsmouth are represented in the latest Football League team of the week that has been selected after this week's action.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?570215">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Will Paul Cook's man interest him at Wigan? Gary Roberts, along with Michael Smith, missed Bournemouth and has been told by Kenny Jackett he's surplus to requirements at Fratton Park.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583436">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

No surprise about Smith, but I thought Gary Roberts would have been retained, however I'm happy to go along with the new managers players, almost all of Cooks signings seem to have played for him in the past, but Kenny Jackett appears to have been around the Southern clubs and knows plenty of players and managers good luck to him. :1:

Roberts could be valuable, anyone who has seen him play can attest to this, but we have to look at our return of investment on him.

Robbo was brought in as Cook's marquee signing, and is probably our biggest earner in terms of wages over the last 2 years. First season he had some injury troubles and last year was stop-start again. It's worth keeping in mind that PC had to drop him at one point as his performances were that poor.

I think he's past it now, and if we can free up some wage money to bring in another player or two Roberts is the obvious choice.

It's harsh, but that's football. If he does leave in this window he should be remembered as one of our key players over the last season and a bit, and to be fair he always showed 100% commitment and effort - even when things weren't going his way, and players who do that earn my respect.

Roberts' form definitely dipped ahead of Christmas, which resulted in him 'being rested' by Pompey. He made his return from the bench against Luton - missing a penalty in that win.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?576271">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Sentiment doesn't have much of a part to play in football these days does it - I still hold a little of this but all in all accept the way footie is these days.

Think Roberts' best involvement, arguably, certainly last season, came from the bench so IF he's affordable to keep as a 'luxury' sub I'd keep him. As a starter I wouldn't think he'll see much action this season.

Like you say though lorna, possibly one I would have kept but like Frippy I have this 'two' could probably be used for his wages. If it meant another regular squad member could be secured if Robbo left and it meant one, maybe even two, younger players could have a better chance of being in the first team picture it's a no-brainer.

As is Smith's exit, to be fair.

Interesting that Roberts came out on Twitter last Friday saying he will not be going anywhere.

What I find more interesting is the response was mainly positive towards him, with many fans thanking him for staying and saying they are happy he's still a blue, which is rare in the cynical world of social media.

Let's face it, 33 isn't exactly over the hill yet, although with a demanding schedule he will have to watch his legs. As most people suggest he would be ideal as an impact sub, opening apart tiring defenses.

That is of course if KJ allows him to rejoin the squad, as rumour has it he is training on his own at the moment, which is a tad disrespectful to a guy who has had a important input to goals and assists in the last 2 seasons.

Tubbs and Roberts out until Christmas (ish)

Perhaps we've got a little more insight as to why Paul Cook moved into the loan market again to bring in Sheffield United striker Marc McNulty on loan recently?

He had been, by all accounts, a 'long-term' target anyway but with Cook telling BBC Solent Matt Tubbs, who I still suspect could leave before the season is out, will be out for 'at least a month' it could have left us a little short?

Gary Roberts is also likely to be out for around another month...

Cook's been philosophical on the injuries though as he knows 'over the course of a season everyone will have problems with injuries and suspensions,' which is true to be fair.

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=558992#ixzz3rNvB1sFZ' target='blank'><b>Read more - click here</b></a>.

I'd still expect, if he hasn't left by the time August deadline comes he WILL January, if not isn't released ahead of the New Year.

If he's affordable as an impact player by all means keep him but if he's not involved in Jackett's plans it'll be best for all if he moves on.

Yes, I hear you when you say disrespectful to be training alone, which would seem odd as Jackett doesn't strike me as a man to 'discount anyone' in such a way but it also seems the case with players when they're told they can leave, especially those not so keen to do so.

Left by mutual consent. Disappointed we made him train alone and have moved him on without giving him a chance to impress. Disrespectful, if you ask me.

But anyway, thanks for everything Gary.

Never understood why he divided opinion so much. A very talented, skillful player who always gave 100% to the Pompey cause. Enjoyed watching him play and his goal & assist record was impressive. Always seemed to deliver in the crucial games as well, when we needed someone to step up and produce something special.

I guess it was his close association to Cook that never did him any favours but I never bought into the whole 'his legs are gone' shenanigans. Roberts never had pace, even in the younger days of his career. It's like Pitman now. He probably has a similar turn of pace to Roberts but I don't see anybody saying 'his legs are gone'. At 33, of course Roberts needed to be managed, but I still felt as if he could do a job for us.

Onward and upwards though. And all the best to Roberts. I'll always be thankful for his role in getting us up.

PUP.

Gary Roberts' Pompey career is over after his exit by mutual consent. The former Ipswich, Accrington and Chesterfield midfielder has seen the final year of his Blues deal cancelled.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?583954">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

I would have happily kept him as a luxury player, which I think is all he would have been as think last season proved he - usually - offered more coming off the bench.

Like others, disappointed he was made to train alone, think he deserved more respect than that and didn't have Jacket pegged for someone who would do that.

Best of luck to him, wish him well and thank him for his efforts.

Roberts, obviously played under Cook at Pompey, will work with his former boss, having done so at Accrington and Chesterfield, at Wigan on a contract until the end of the season.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?584818">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Surprised it took so long for Roberts to complete his move to Wigan?

I'm hearing Cookie isn't perhaps getting the funds he thought he would at the DW Stadium - in fairness the squad he inherited SHOULD be good enough to go up anyway.

Robbo still has something to offer - mainly as an impact player I reckon - but think his signing was more of a 'top up' addition as he couldn't get others he wanted.