"Game Day" wtf! | Page 2 | Vital Football

"Game Day" wtf!

Is it anotber "game day" today? Is there one tomorrow (Wolves v Manure)? How about Tuesday, does Champs League qualifier count? or league foofball? I see from my newspaper that in fact every day this week is a "game day". I assume every day for the next 10 months will be a "game day" ( barring 25/12).

Sorry, I'm bored as my cricket gameday was rained off.

If Talk Sport annoys you so much then why do you keep listening? You seem to be as bad as Wayne reading the Daily Mail from cover to cover daily just so you can be offended at the content :D

If Talk Sport annoys you so much then why do you keep listening? You seem to be as bad as Wayne reading the Daily Mail from cover to cover daily just so you can be offended at the content :D
I haven't listened to any of it today. I was reading the paper (not the DM) and noticed lots of "matchdays".

Whilst I'm at it, what's this "round of eight" b###ocks? It's the quarter final. I'm expecting to hear "round of two" at this rate.

Whilst I'm at it, what's this "round of eight" b###ocks? It's the quarter final. I'm expecting to hear "round of two" at this rate.

Now "round of 16" rather than the normal term of "last 16" is something that really pointlessly riles me up. In what world do Uefa and Fifa etc think that using Americanisms as official terms in World Cups and Euros is acceptable? And what's worse is that a lot of our commentators and pundits think it's acceptable to use those terms rather than the real ones.

Other terms that irritate me are "shut out" in football and more generally "woke" as in someone is "woke". I have no idea what it means or where it came from.

Any chance of a sly fight back involving seeding a few Englishisms over the pond? Suggestions please?

I am already involved in a one man attempt to revive sayings, words and phrases at home:

It's a cinch.

Strewth!

Bitter

Hand over fist

In truth I only do oldspeak

"Cheers" for thanks is coming in. Those who've been over like to show they're au fait.

Ring for call, telephonetically, gets used quite a bit.

Football-wise, not so much although those who play are increasingly insistent on saying they play football -not soccer- within the fraternity and sorority, at least.

Do people still say "wotcha" unself-consciously or has "alright?" nudged it out? I don't recall hearing it on my last stay in Kent.
-