GAA All Ireland Football Final | Vital Football

GAA All Ireland Football Final

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
I just saw bits of this, which finished in a draw between Dublin and Mayo, resulting in a replay on Saturday the 1st October.

This was because it clashed with the PL and La Liga.

A question for Bluedub - how is it viewed when you score goals (Dublin did, but they were own goals), but may not win the game?

Very dimly from my point of view CITK. Really when you score two more goals than your opponent, like Dublin did today, as you've pointed out above, then there's really no excuse not to win.

Today was one of the worst performances I've seen from Dublin in a long time, certainly since the current manager took the reins. We were blessed really, the level of complacency shown should really be punished in an All Ireland final but we get a second bite of the cherry now and we can't play as badly again, surely.

Is it viewed as negative play if your opponent beats you by not scoring goals, when you do?

Is there nothing in the laws of the game where you benefit by doing so?
Thinking here of limited overs cricket, where the score is tied, but one way of winning is by losing fewer wickets.

No, it wouldn't be viewed as negative, generally speaking scoring goals is very difficult ( in comparison to points ) so when the opportunity arises you take your chance.

There's no benefit in the laws of the game from scoring goals, well other than they're worth 3 points.

Bluedub - 18/9/2016 20:54

No, it wouldn't be viewed as negative, generally speaking scoring goals is very difficult ( in comparison to points ) so when the opportunity arises you take your chance.

There's no benefit in the laws of the game from scoring goals, well other than they're worth 3 points.

That ties in with a reply I got on Twitter when I asked the question there.
Old GAA maxim along the lines 'Take your points and the goals will take care of themselves'

Thanks for the replies, and I don't think the replay clashes with City or anything else, so I'll be able to fully watch that one.

That maxim is drilled into you from an early age.

Hopefully we get a dry day for the replay which should make for a much better fare than we were subjected to yesterday.

Mayo's 65-year wait for an All-Ireland Senior Football title goes on after holders Dublin edged a 1-15 to 1-14 win in the final replay at Croke Park.