Furloughed | Vital Football

Furloughed

Red Wimp

Vital Football Legend
Most non playing staff at LCFC furloughed ( or furlonged as someone said to me).
I know one poster who will be delighted

Happened to my lads with their lifeguarding. Has to be done so that employers can apply for the government 80% payments schemes. Hopefully all will be retained on the staff roster and be able to resume full time when the world starts to turn again

This isn't a bad thing surely? It gives the best possible chance to retain the workforce whilst keeping costs to a minimum.
It's certainly better than seeing a club like Spurs cutting the wages of non-playing staff

I guess there are reasons why we're not furloughing the players too?

I think players will be maintaining strict training programmes and diets etc...which technically means they are working from home and therefore not eligible to be furloughed.

I think players will be maintaining strict training programmes and diets etc...which technically means they are working from home and therefore not eligible to be furloughed.

Possibly, but I think that's arguable...especially if you can demonstrate out of work footballers/people are doing the same thing.

Didn't know what the word meant (and I'm 54!!) till I looked it up. It means they can't do any work during the period of furlough, but are kept on the payroll. The government scheme requires this in order to be able to apply for 80% of their wage, up to £2500 per month. Guess players may be on more than that per month so won't be eligible. About 12 or more of my fellow field service engineers have had the same thing done to them, thankfully i haven't yet.
The situation with us will be reviewed every 3 weeks. Our staff have been told this is stage one. The longer it goes on the less likelihood is of them keeping their jobs. The scheme is done to try and protect against redundancies but it is not an infinite thing. Which just shows the importance of STAYING AT HOME!!!!!!

Didn't know what the word meant (and I'm 54!!) till I looked it up. It means they can't do any work during the period of furlough, but are kept on the payroll. The government scheme requires this in order to be able to apply for 80% of their wage, up to £2500 per month. Guess players may be on more than that per month so won't be eligible. About 12 or more of my fellow field service engineers have had the same thing done to them, thankfully i haven't yet.
The situation with us will be reviewed every 3 weeks. Our staff have been told this is stage one. The longer it goes on the less likelihood is of them keeping their jobs. The scheme is done to try and protect against redundancies but it is not an infinite thing. Which just shows the importance of STAYING AT HOME!!!!!!
The £2500 is a figure the government pay up to as opposed to only being eligible if you fall below that threshold.

I'm sure there was a maximum earning setting which is only right and proper but can't remember what it was. The theory being that big wigs on seven plus figures a year shouldn't need the support and that would include footballers the highest level and possibly even some at clubs in our league. The furlough idea is to keep jobs open and people paid and although it won't cover everyones monthly wage gives industries and football clubs a chance of survival without the need to make everyone redundant.
Unfortunately not every industry will survive and some clubs could very easily go under as well

It's a wonder they didnt all bugger off to Dubai like they normally do when they have a break!

For many of those PL clubs, a mere 10% cut in players' wages (earnings would be an inaccurate description in my opinion) would more than service the earnings of the majority of the non-playing staff....

And it would be barely noticeable to the players either...