Friendly v Villa | Vital Football

Friendly v Villa

PieMag

Vital Football Hero
Interesting first half, thought we did okay considering the back four we started with.

Villa creating havoc, sucking us in, then opening us up on either wing.

Anderson looked a bit lightweight in the early stages but grew into the game.
A very well taken first goal and pivotal in our second.

Villa scoring again, with the exact same tactics that opened us up many times in the first half.

Could probably do with a player that no other player in the squad is like. I’d love to see us sign St Maximin. We have nobody who can unlock a defence and someone like him would complement this squad massively.

Imagine Barnes and ASM in the same squad. That would really make the opposition think. I hope we sign him.

Could probably do with a player that no other player in the squad is like. I’d love to see us sign St Maximin. We have nobody who can unlock a defence and someone like him would complement this squad massively.

Imagine Barnes and ASM in the same squad. That would really make the opposition think. I hope we sign him.
:grinning:

Good to see Gordon drifting into that number 10 role.
Not sure about where Howe sees Tonali & Bruno playing positionally.
Aye Eddie has a puzzle to sort in the middle.

Will be interesting to see if he works out a way to stop Villa killing us on the flanks as well.

Good to see Gordon drifting into that number 10 role.
Not sure about where Howe sees Tonali & Bruno playing positionally.
Good point. Tonali should be in front of Bruno. I think there was a communication problems between Tonali and Schar for that first goal. Schar should have moved to his left to pick up the Villa man. Tonali shows promise. Good passer of a football.

He certainly looks stronger than Anderson on the ball, he's a big strong lad like.

Strong physically but looks like a boy (he is) - will/would be interesting to see him against Casemiro for arguments sake. See whether he has the balls. Hopefully he’ll take on the Gazza mantra and just take it in his stride (without the drink).

I would’ve said Fabinho, but he seems to have signed for a Saudi club for 40 million more than he’s worth. Any questions on that?

I thought we experimented and probably learned a lot from the 2 formations we used in what I thought was a bit of mind games from Eddie Howe ahead of our league game against them in 3 weeks.

The commentary seemed to rave over Villa a bit in the first half but I thought they were too predictable and played with a bit of a shit style considering they were pretty much full strength from the start and we were playing around half of our expected first XI.

That said I reckon we have a bit of strength in depth and should worry a few clubs ahead of the season as we always looked the most likely winner in that.

We were poor defensively and a bit over run in midfield. Not a great squad when you have the likes of Dummett, Ritchie and Lascelles still featuring. Should not be anywhere near the the first team squad.Some promising youngsters and its only the first real friendly so plenty of time. Just think its gong to be a difficult season and we will no longer be a surprise package, more incomings and out goings needed.

We were poor defensively and a bit over run in midfield. Not a great squad when you have the likes of Dummett, Ritchie and Lascelles still featuring. Should not be anywhere near the the first team squad.Some promising youngsters and its only the first real friendly so plenty of time. Just think its gong to be a difficult season and we will no longer be a surprise package, more incomings and out goings needed.
Totally agree. We might need to change our formation with Tonali in the team.
Mind you Joelinton played well. Didn't take a step back as per normal.

Strong physically but looks like a boy (he is) - will/would be interesting to see him against Casemiro for arguments sake. See whether he has the balls. Hopefully he’ll take on the Gazza mantra and just take it in his stride (without the drink).

I would’ve said Fabinho, but he seems to have signed for a Saudi club for 40 million more than he’s worth. Any questions on that?
It's an absolute scandal, especially when you consider the alleged Maxi fee.

Our owners aren't daft though as our detractors will eventually see.

They are far more business savvy than these arrogant arseholes are willing to accept.

I thought we experimented and probably learned a lot from the 2 formations we used in what I thought was a bit of mind games from Eddie Howe ahead of our league game against them in 3 weeks.

The commentary seemed to rave over Villa a bit in the first half but I thought they were too predictable and played with a bit of a shit style considering they were pretty much full strength from the start and we were playing around half of our expected first XI.

That said I reckon we have a bit of strength in depth and should worry a few clubs ahead of the season as we always looked the most likely winner in that.
As soon as Joe came on we looked a different team.