Friendlies | Page 9 | Vital Football

Friendlies

I've put my (reading) glasses on and sat about a foot from the TV so I can actually try and focus on any kind of detail like, y'know, who the Villa players are vs who the Utd players are - here's my HT report:

Steer - two great saves

Defence - nothing to say, not seen much of Cash

SJM - Some good work from him, looks sharp and lively

Jack - not much to say but spent plenty of time in defence as we've hardly had the ball, should have put a better quality ball in for Watkins' second goal

Hourihane - the usual strolling around non-contribution

Trez - the usual headless chicken no-composure stuff from him but a nice assist for Watkins' goal

Watkins - touched the ball three times I think - this was always likely to be the problem IMO but promising how he found so much space for his goal as he did for many last season for Brentford and he should have had a second but for a bit of a bobbly pass from Jack

Based on what I've seen so far, it's the same as last season with us having little possession and still capable of being hit fast on the break - we may have won this 1-0 today but I think if you play this 10 times then we'll lose at least 7 of them based on balance of play and chances created, 1-2 would have been a better reflection of actual play at HT IMO.

Last edited:
Just hope this game isn't part of some deal for jack

You'd have to be seriously paranoid or incredibly negative minded to even contemplate thinking that.

I can just see Purslow explaining to Edens and Sawaris how he's sold the crown jewel of the club but don't worry because we've got a behind closed doors friendly vs the team we're selling him too. And we're even getting to play him in the game.

Thought we looked as aimless as we normally look as for Matty Cash i think he will get better he sure as hell can't get any worse.

Thought we looked as aimless as we normally look as for Matty Cash i think he will get better he sure as hell can't get any worse.

Doesn’t bode well for Man U then if they lose a game with a more than decent starting XI and can’t even score against an aimless team with a particularly useless right back....Ole out!

You'd have to be seriously paranoid or incredibly negative minded to even contemplate thinking that.

I can just see Purslow explaining to Edens and Sawaris how he's sold the crown jewel of the club but don't worry because we've got a behind closed doors friendly vs the team we're selling him too. And we're even getting to play him in the game.
I'm both. You're welcome

I've put my (reading) glasses on and sat about a foot from the TV so I can actually try and focus on any kind of detail like, y'know, who the Villa players are vs who the Utd players are - here's my HT report:

Steer - two great saves

Defence - nothing to say, not seen much of Cash

SJM - Some good work from him, looks sharp and lively

Jack - not much to say but spent plenty of time in defence as we've hardly had the ball, should have put a better quality ball in for Watkins' second goal

Hourihane - the usual strolling around non-contribution

Trez - the usual headless chicken no-composure stuff from him but a nice assist for Watkins' goal

Watkins - touched the ball three times I think - this was always likely to be the problem IMO but promising how he found so much space for his goal as he did for many last season for Brentford and he should have had a second but for a bit of a bobbly pass from Jack

Based on what I've seen so far, it's the same as last season with us having little possession and still capable of being hit fast on the break - we may have won this 1-0 today but I think if you play this 10 times then we'll lose at least 7 of them based on balance of play and chances created, 1-2 would have been a better reflection of actual play at HT IMO.

I think its much too hard to draw a conclusion, the second half was a non-contest our match fitness really showed. I got bored and just started skipping it TBH.

I thought we still looked vulnerable in defence at times but certainly not as weak as last season.

1. Steer - perfect dependable keeper when you're in a pinch. Nyland should never be ahead of him.

2. Cash - Very pleased to see he wasnt lightweight, has a bit of McGinn about him in his energy and his odd ball control and shielding.

3. Konsa, Mings & Targett - they all look much improved but I still think we need more experience there and Konsa should make way for a quality experienced CB.

4. Grealish, Luiz & McGinn - picked up where they left off, we've two solid dependable CMs there and ideally this would be our midfield trio.

5. Hourihane - I agree bonker and I'd go further and say he was atrocious. The #1 position that needs sorting by either (a) a straight replacement in CM or (b) a wide player that allows us to push Grealish back into the middle.

6. Trez - I thought he was much improved and certainly not the liability Hourihane is. With that said we do need an upgrade.

7. Watkins - I personally thought he looked every bit of what we missed last season. Gets in the right positions, hassles the back line, is not just a threat in behind but also can hold it up, win high balls and just be a nuisance. This lad will get 10 goals even with a so-so supply IMO.

The first half was fairly competitive and United should have had 1 or 2 goals. We still do look like we're playing with 10 with Hourihane on the pitch. Virtually non-existent. Second half was a waste I felt we generally bossed it for large spells and it really showed our sharpness vs. Uniteds lack of fitness and game time.

Hacing watched West Ham vs. Newcastle and Leeds vs. Liverpool today we are in desperate need of a centre mid and wide player. There is too much pressure on both McGinn and Luiz to do everything in Midfield and Grealish and Watkins in Attack. Trez does look far better than last year IMO but he set the bar low and to compete with Palace and Newcastle we do need more solidity and danger on the pitch.

Also finding it funny everyone thought Cash wasnt good - speaks volumes to Dalot who I thought was as poor as Hourihane. Bear in mind the papers alledged Dalot was part of a deal for Grealish.

FT update:

Watkins off after 65 minutes - I think he managed another three touches in the second half, nice to see him tackle back to win possession though - replaced by Samatta who I don't think touched the ball for the remaining 25 minutes. Still, if Watkins can score every half a dozen touches or so then that'll do us

Luis: Involved and tenacious, managed to get his shirt ripped open by McGuire lol

Jack: Loads more possession in really good positions where we were much more dominant in the second half - mixed some good work with a few sloppy passes though IMO but actually looked like a number 10

Jota: Came on for 20 minutes, the usual energetic effort from him but nothing to show for it really as per

Hourihane: Dreadful.

A game of two halves then with Villa much more dominant in the second half and Utd reduced to maybe one chance whereas we had the ball in/around their box regularly but still failed to really test their keeper.

Did I learn anything?

Nope, my prior thoughts have just been reinforced - we absolutely must get another CM to replace Hourihane. If we haven't got two players clearly ahead of him in the pecking order then we've got big problems.

I've said in the transfer thread that we need at least one wide/inside forward type player as Ghazi is a chocolate teapot and Trez, though I really like his effort, so lacks composure that he simply can't keep the ball well enough at this level.

If we're not picking up at least one of Buendia/King/Rashica et al I'll be very disappointed and still concerned about our PL position next season.

Cheers: SJM - playing like a man possessed again. Energy, commitment, tackling, passing, it's all back.

Jeers: Hourihane - he shouldn't be in the squad, never mind the first team, of any PL club.

Last edited:
I was really optimistic yesterday with the result but having just watched the extended highlights on youtube , I'm preparing for another long hard season.
I know they were biased towards Man utd and if that was a true reflection on the game nothing seems to have been learnt.

Jack stuck out wide and i honestly thought Freddie was right back with the amount of ball being allowed to come in from the left unchallenged.

Seeing Hourihane and Trez starting deflated me as neither should be anywhere near the first 11

We need a couple of quality players in there because another season of Jack playing left-back and even I think he'll be gone.

Yes I do get it was only a friendly but yesterday I was using the result to feel positive and now having actually seen some of it it's floored me again

At the end of the day as things stand we've only signed Cash and Watkins. That's no where near enough to push a team who survived with one of the lowest ever points totals that much further. Clearly there's still a lot to do but rest assured the board knows that, I fully expect 3-4 more players (including Martinez) to come in before the window shuts.

Looking on the bright side, it gives greater urgency if any was required to get another 3 in at least. Watkins looks as if he can get into goal scoring positions which is what Tammy could do, a real positive.