Freedom Of Choice For Fans: BST Gazette column | Vital Football

Freedom Of Choice For Fans: BST Gazette column

BFCSupportersTrust

Vital Youth Team
Here we are at the sharp end of another league campaign and most long-time Seasiders fans will be feeling a mixture of contrasting emotions over the coming weeks.

For the first time in four years and after two successive drops, Blackpool FC is not embroiled in a relegation battle. That’s a small relief in itself, for demotion out of the Football League would surely have been a disaster - even though there are those who believe it might have hastened the departure of the current owners. Getting out of the National League and back into the EFL is a mighty challenge. Just ask Gary Brabin, Micky Mellon or Andy Morrell, all ex-’Pool players who have tried their hand at managing Conference sides. The unthinkable has been avoided – for this season at least.

For the first time in six years there is even a chance that Blackpool might make the play-offs. The club’s form isn’t obviously that of promotion chasers, as consecutive defeats against Luton and Grimsby have shown, but there is still a possibility that the Seasiders could be in the mix by the 6th May. While some fans might relish the prospect, many appear to be completely indifferent given the current regime and then there are those who actively don’t want the club to achieve the play-offs or to gain promotion. Such an attitude by lifelong supporters towards the team might seem bizarre and heretical but that is the predicament that many find themselves in while the Oystons are in charge.

The stark fact is that when the club has been successful in the last decade it has been the owners who have benefitted, not Blackpool FC. There is no guarantee that if the club is successful again the owners won’t simply divert monies earned by the team on the pitch into other non-football-related interests, just as they have done before.

Blackpool Supporters’ Trust sees nothing wrong in owners making a reasonable profit from their investment in a football club as long as they use the majority of revenue to improve the standing and prospects of the team. That simply has not been the case with the current owners and that fact lies at the root of why thousands of passionate Blackpool fans won’t come back to Bloomfield Road unless there is a change of ownership. Any success on the field is almost an irrelevance at present.

In the circumstances, and given all of the above, it is probably worth restating quite clearly the Trust’s position regarding attending games or not. The members of BST have endorsed the ethical boycott and the Trust would like fans to comply with it as far as they are able, to demonstrate to the owners that we do not want them at our football club. The near-empty stadium is the most significant protest of the season. However, there is a world of difference between suggestion and coercion. Fans (including members of BST) who choose to attend games to support the team are exercising their loyalty to the club and the team, and it is their right to do so. Admittedly it makes apparent opposition to the owners less unified, but everyone has freedom of choice in the matter. If they cannot be persuaded by rational appeals to join the boycott then that should be an end to the matter. They should certainly not be abused or intimidated if they have made the decision to still go into Bloomfield Road. (However, it might help defuse the situation if they could somehow indicate that they are there to support the team and not the Oystons!) By the same token, those people who choose to engage in the ethical boycott of Bloomfield Road should not be accused of letting the team and the club down. They are acting on principle for the long-term good of Blackpool FC.

That long-term good can only come from a change of ownership. It appears to be the only positive and constructive solution to the problems at the club. There are parties interested in buying Blackpool FC – but it would have to be outright and not as a franchise. Quite understandably, those parties are waiting on the outcome of the pending Belokon court case in the summer.

The fact that regime change hasn’t been accomplished yet doesn’t mean that it will never happen, as some doubters appear to think. What is required right now is a bit of patience, a lot of discipline not to turn fan against fan, and a massive commitment to a show of solidarity on May 6th, Judgement Day 3, the Fans United Day Of Action. 2,000 supporters turned out for the original Judgement Day in 2015. 4,000 mobilised in protest against the owners on Judgement Day 2 last April. The call for JD3 on May 6th is for all football fans and everybody who cares about the future of Blackpool FC as a community enterprise and an asset to the town to come together and get involved in the day of action, to join the demonstration march and rally. It promises to be the biggest protest yet against the owners of our football club. Change must come.
#FansUnited #WeAreBlackpoolFC

Excellent piece as ever, a masterfully worded piece which has the sole intention of unifying all sections of fans whichever side of the fence (or on top of it) they stand.

Great spot that for us #NAPM, #NAGM fans who want Oystain Football Company to lose is seen as heresy. Never in my life did I think I'd be praying they'd lose every game, but the very fact that OFC are slinging a bit of that siphoned away cash at the club now suggests that they are trying to prop up the club value come their inevitable departure.

And another good spot that Oystain Football Company will never be a normal club, they will always struggle to compete whilst the vile owners take out more than most reasonable owners from their cash cow, like having your hands tied behind your back trying to compete with less greedy owners.

The one consolation is that it is the spineless, selfish mushrooms that are funding the Oystains for now. And will the divide ever be mended when they've fecked off? Not for me, never! :fu:

I did not realise my freedom of choice had anything to do with B.S.T .....
The season is coming to a close I would have thought all fans would want promotion regardless of who owns the club ...Three home games and home support I.e.the twelfth man could make all the difference we should not let our dislike of the owners spoil our chances of promotion.Protest against the owners "Yes "but support the team.......

it's breaking my heart not planning trips to home games but I just can't do it #NAPM. I think the end is near for the O's I really do hope and pray so.

premier 1 - 14/4/2017 10:15

The season is coming to a close I would have thought all fans would want promotion regardless of who owns the club ...Three home games and home support I.e.the twelfth man could make all the difference we should not let our dislike of the owners spoil our chances of promotion.Protest against the owners "Yes "but support the team.......

You stupid old doffer read the whole bloody article you thick plank! It is more evident that BST are in fact lending their support to you spineless mushrooms.

As for your pathetic 12th man remark, have Oystain Football Company had more mushrooms or moreover had the upper hand when it comes to passionate (REAL) supporters than an away team all season? There are only spineless idiots left supporting the vile lot and you are one of a dwindling few.

And you still don't get it (you never will because you are stupid and selfish) why some fans don't want Oystain Football Company to win and gain success.

BECAUSE YOUR VILE HEROES WILL STICK AROUND LONGER WHILST YOU FEED THEM MONEY.

Doff on ****head. :tophat:

You don't protest against the owners you spineless man. You support them. You only protest against ill founded bollocks such as Cadbury's chocolate.

You mock those who protest and don't have an ounce of sympathy for those who are pursued by the club and it's disgusting owners. You have never once uttered any support.

Stick to wishing Preston players a happy birthday. Stick to deceiving the electorate. Stick to proposing parking fees and then changing your mind on that too. You stick to contributing the funding of the dying of hard working, dedicated good people Prem, you Vichyist.

I do not support the Owners lack of ambition,and investment and I have respect for those who do not go on principle......I do not support pitch invasions or vile web comments whoever makes them ....I just believe now that as the season comes to an end we need to get behind the team I for one prefare to support in Div 1 rather than Div 2....
Plus if as some believe Karl wants us to drop a division it would be one in the eye if we went up...

liverpoolseasider - 14/4/2017 12:42

You don't protest against the owners you spineless man. You support them. You only protest against ill founded bollocks such as Cadbury's chocolate.

You mock those who protest and don't have an ounce of sympathy for those who are pursued by the club and it's disgusting owners. You have never once uttered any support.

Stick to wishing Preston players a happy birthday. Stick to deceiving the electorate. Stick to proposing parking fees and then changing your mind on that too. You stick to contributing the funding of the dying of hard working, dedicated good people Prem, you Vichyist.

Excellent points and post Liverpool. As expected the spineless old doffer chooses to ignore them all because he is just a nasty, selfish old turd.

Change the record Premier 1. I am looking forward to meeting you on Judgement Day 3.

Provocative as ever Prem, implying that the ethical boycott is letting down the team. Shame on you. You aren't worth the feathers or the tar that Whitey has so kindly arranged for you. :anger:

Bear1951 - 15/4/2017 08:50

Provocative as ever Prem, implying that the ethical boycott is letting down the team. Shame on you. You aren't worth the feathers or the tar that Whitey has so kindly arranged for you. :anger:
Well it certainly isn't doing them any favours at this crucial part of the season..........The team and manager deserve all the support they can get, even if the Owners do Not... :argh:

whitey1942 - 14/4/2017 22:54

Change the record Premier 1. I am looking forward to meeting you on Judgement Day 3.
You are attending the match then good man... :clap:

premier 1 - 15/4/2017 16:24

I will be outside the ground so I will look out for you. I will easily recognise you.
By the way...Why are you so afraid of answering questions that various posters put to you.

whitey1942 - 15/4/2017 17:28

premier 1 - 15/4/2017 16:24

I will be outside the ground so I will look out for you. I will easily recognise you.
By the way...Why are you so afraid of answering questions that various posters put to you.

Because he's a nasty old wind up merchant.

Can't wait to see you gob the old doffer Whitey! :120:

I never condone violence, but.....

"Gob the old doffer"

I nearly spat my coffee out laughing! ::D: ::D: ::D: ::D: ::D: ::D: ::D: ::D: ::D: ::D: