Freddie Draper | Vital Football

Freddie Draper

mikeosullivan

Vital Squad Member
Tweet from Hortin today:-

"Expecting Freddie Draper to go out on loan next season. After a successful spell at Drogheda a National League or League Two club would be a great move for him and the Imps. More talk on this on the pod from 7 tonight...."

With our record of loans to National League clubs, why would that sort of loan "be a great move for him and the Imps"?

If he goes out on loan, it is only of benefit if he actually plays. And our record of loans to anyone but the Drogs the past few years has been abysmal as regards the players getting actual game time. And getting game time is the only purpose behind loaning young players out.

However I agree that a loan to a League 2 club, as long as he is involved, could be a decent move. I would want a January recall condition though in case it wasn't working.

Freddy turns 19 this month. He needs game time and whilst that would be great if it was with us, realistically it will only be here and there in Pizza Cup and occasional 10 minutes off the bench. If we had a reserve team he could stay and be playing regular games. We don't and he's too old for the youth squad. So it leaves us with the better option of trying to get him some game time at a L2 or (more probably) NL. Yes he needs to be playing for that loan to be of value. For that to happen he needs to step up to the plate and if that happens it's a great move for him and for us in the long term. It's the best plan as it stands

Just listened to the Radio Lincs podcast,

Sounds like Freddie will be out on loan soon possibly after he signs a new contract which his performances in Ireland has led us to offer him.

Theo Archibald sale came after a successful loan at Leyton Orient
Hayden Cann sign a new contract after 40+ games in a successful loan at Gainsborough?
Sam Long got 23 games in NLN at his Loan at Boston
Jovon Makama has played 28 games on loan.
Charley Kendall 37 games on loan (13 goals)

Hayden Cann sign a new contract after 40+ games in a successful loan at Gainsborough?
Cmon Chimp. Archibald was released because he had no future with us. He didn’t play a game for us after going out on loan. He was not “sold”. In any case he was not a young player but more like Akulakun. An experienced player who couldn’t cut it for us.

The jury is still out on Long after poor loan spells where he was replaced as first choice.

Other than his very first loan at Gainsborough, Makama’s loan appearances were from the subs bench. Not starts.

Kendall’s appearances and goals were after we loaned him back to the club we signed him from. His two loans since he was fully our player have been disastrous.

Cann I can’t comment on as I have never really seen him play, but he would seem to be a good candidate to have a spell at the Drogs.

However I just cannot see how you can justify the other four as “successful” loans? Please explain.

Last edited:
Long was bombed out by Boston
Makama could not get in the eleven at Brackley and returned in January
kendall had a write off of a season last year

Closing the gulf in class between U18 football and the professional game will always be a huge challenge, and that is why the loan system exists. History shows that only a few will have a decent career in the game at senior level because only the best can survive. If our young players cannot get a game in the National League, the conclusion must be that they are light years from our first team.

This one has to be thought about and handled very carefully.

The League of Ireland is a completely different proposition than League 2 football.

My personal opinion, having watched Freddy at Drogs is that he settled into the team well after an initial transition period and was developing and getting better with each game.

The LOI is an excellent League to play in as your first loan for all sorts of reasons and that's why I think Draper would of benifitted from playing the whole season out there and coming back in November.

I understand why he was brought back, mainly to get him into a more competitive environment but he is still only 18, just about to turn 19 so still has the time he needs to develop his game before the staff have to make the decision on whether he is ready or not.

I think that he would be much better off at this stage to now be looking at a middish table National League team. I don't think he is ready for League 2 and if he is going out on loan the whole essence of that is to be playing competitive football, you don't go out on loan for the experience of training or environment or anything else, you go out on loan to get game and matchday experience, the training and everything else that goes with it adds to the experience but playing matches is the most important thing.

This will be interesting and a very important decision in Drapers development and future.

I really hope they get it right because these loans at this age can make or break players as we have seen recently.

Cmon Chimp. Archibald was released because he had no future with us. He didn’t play a game for us after going out on loan. He was not “sold”. In any case he was not a young player but more like Akulakun. An experienced player who couldn’t cut it for us.

The jury is still out on Long after poor loan spells where he was replaced as first choice.

Other than his very first loan at Gainsborough, Makama’s loan appearances were from the subs bench. Not starts.

Kendall’s appearances and goals were after we loaned him back to the club we signed him from. His two loans since he was fully our player have been disastrous.

Cann I can’t comment on as I have never really seen him play, but he would seem to be a good candidate to have a spell at the Drogs.

However I just cannot see how you can justify the other four as “successful” loans? Please explain.

To paraphrase....

Our record of loans other than to the Drogs over past few seasons has been abysmal as regards players getting actual game time...

Not factually correct.

I never said successful...

..but getting Archibald off our hands must be a success, that's what we were trying to do....and we retained an "interest in him"...which with Orient being promoted would I imagine had been a financial benefit to us.

The only reason for loans is to get young players game time ....

to paraphrase again.

So the fact the players I quote have had game time must mean they were successful by your own definition.

As for Draper...if he can get some more games under his belt on loan it will be a benefit ... but I reckon in 2 or 3 years time he will be a really exciting prospect beginning to make an impact, pretty much irrespective of the precise outcome of his next loan.

With spin like this, you should join the England cricket squad.