Forest v Fulham | Page 8 | Vital Football

Forest v Fulham

I'm not going to be too down over the result, we were not at our best and they converted everything they got given. Grabban keeps his head down and it's 1-1 he was almost horizontal when he connected, they score straight away after a dubious bit of reffing and the heads went .

Cooper needs to use this to drive them on, the turn around has been astounding we were going to lose one at some point so let's not get too down we could still be bottom 3 just need to get back to what they were doing.

Last edited:
Fully agree with this apart from the bastards (and there were plenty) who left with half an hour to go. The same, doubtless who were praising the team for sticking it out to the end agai st Bristol.
I agree in part but it was a 27k crowd, of which at least 24k was forest. They can't all be die hards; there were lots of casuals and tourist fans there today, people who go occasionally, maybe with family etc. We can't expect undying loyalty from everyone.

Not one of the season ticket holders where I sit left early, all the fans I didn't recognise did

Just got home.

Seems ridiculous to say this but we didn't deserve to lose that.

I stayed to the bitter end because I wanted to cheer the team off because they deserved it.

We were the better team for about 75% of that game.

Looking at the teamsheet I couldn't understand how this Fulham side can't stay in the Prem. Now I know. They are a bunch of outstanding individuals, but a poor team. Those outstanding individuals are just average in the top flight. We have no superstars like Mitrovic on over £80k a week but we were a better team.

Unfortunately, we were killed by their outstanding individuals, our own mistakes and a referee that was over generous to Fulham.

First goal was silly; I need to see it again, but I couldn't work out how Samba let it get under him at the time. Daft.

Second goal was the opposite end to me. It looked like a defensive cock up that left a gift for Mr Big Bucks.

Their third was their only good goal. Fair play, great counter attack.

Couldn't see the penalty; judging by the vociferous reaction of our players, I would guess that it wasn't clear cut, but I can't say. Samba nearly saved that too.

We blew two big chances, of which Grabban skied the key one. You could say that was a turning point just as you could say the second goal was. Don't get on Grabban's back though; it was a bad miss, but he played a great centre forward game as part of the front three and wasn't the only one to fluff his lines.

Fulham were deeply average throughout and their fans will file this in the "we didn't play well but we still won 4-0 so we must be champion material" box of optimistic denial. They didn't look a promotion team to me and far from a PL one.

Forest played well for almost all of it, apart from a ten minute spell where they lost their heads a bit. The crowd stayed right behind them and warmly applauded them off, and they deserved that.

It seems daft to say, but we could have won that. We gifted then three goals and blew our own best chances. Can't remember ever losing 4-0 and feeling hard done to
Watched on Forest TV, and I have to disagree.

Fulham played like a team, slick passing throughout, hardly ever gave it away.

We struggled to keep possession, except when we played it around at the back in our own half.

First and second goals were Keystone Cops stuff - Spence plonks a corner into his own net; Figs and McKenna collide and gift the ball to a deadly striker.

Third goal was class on the break, much like some we've scored lately.

Number four was from their free kick (can't remember whether this one was justified or not - so many weren't). Half-cleared but fell to (?) Wilson, Yates grabbed him from behind, clear penalty.

But in between: BJ fails to convert Spence's low cross; Grabban fails to convert Zinc's cut-back; both at 0-1. I see what you mean - we should have had other chances, though we mostly fluffed the final ball or their defence cut it out.

2-2 might have been fairer, but old failings came back to haunt us, poor at both ends of the pitch.

Out of possession, Fulham definitely did play like a team. Their press was considered and co-ordinated, and they kept us at arm’s length for long periods. In possession, they were a bit ponderous, but it was clear that they had gears to move through if it all came together.

I actually think that we did quite well to stop them from playing, but were undone by our cumbersome central defenders who were back to Hughton levels of performance. We had quite a few nearly moments ourselves in the final third, but we were dying to concede possession in our own half.

Our level of performance today illustrated the gulf that can exist in the Championship when wealthy, recently top-flight sides sign good players and have competent managers. Three such sides top the Championship and it wouldn’t surprise me if they pull away as the season goes on.

Watched on Forest TV, and I have to disagree.

Fulham played like a team, slick passing throughout, hardly ever gave it away.

We struggled to keep possession, except when we played it around at the back in our own half.

First and second goals were Keystone Cops stuff - Spence plonks a corner into his own net; Figs and McKenna collide and gift the ball to a deadly striker.

Third goal was class on the break, much like some we've scored lately.

Number four was from their free kick (can't remember whether this one was justified or not - so many weren't). Half-cleared but fell to (?) Wilson, Yates grabbed him from behind, clear penalty.

But in between: BJ fails to convert Spence's low cross; Grabban fails to convert Zinc's cut-back; both at 0-1. I see what you mean - we should have had other chances, though we mostly fluffed the final ball or their defence cut it out.

2-2 might have been fairer, but old failings came back to haunt us, poor at both ends of the pitch.
Their wage bill will be somewhere between 3-5 times ours.

I'm not sure there is a single Forest player that would have got into that Fulham side.

Yet they did not dominate the game, despite us showing far too much respect at first. For much of the first half they were highly organised with 10 men in their own half, simply looking to hit us on the break. That's fine, that's how they play.

But we were capable of hurting them, and I thought their breaks were pretty poor and ineffective. For such good passers of the ball, I thought their attacking passing was... Meh. They hit us with one good one and scored from it.

Fully agree with this apart from the bastards (and there were plenty) who left with half an hour to go. The same, doubtless who were praising the team for sticking it out to the end agai st Bristol.
Well I am officially a bastard then. There was no way I was sticking that til the end when the other option was to get a decent pint

We’re in a real relegation dog fight now FFS

Dont think anyone thinks that but we were looking to kick on today and justify ourselves in the top half. Disappointed to learn that we cant. However we are still a work in progress and we know the current spirit in the squad so lets see the response next game.

The next game is probably going to be a better reflection on where we are at, Fulham are clearly a better team which you'd expect given they have been recently in the Prem, they have some class in that side. In hindsight I'm not sure we learnt anything new today, however if we do fancy a sneaky push for top 6 then we need to be beating teams like queue pee argh at home.

I said before the game that this was a real opportunity to see where our midfield were and I think we found out.

I’m simply not convinced by Yates, Colback or Garner. I think they’re ponderous and aren’t strong enough to win the battles for a side looking to push on. I’d prioritise that position along with a striker in January/summer.

Overall, it was never a 0-4 game but I thought we were off colour and deserved to lose. I’m not concerned but eager to see how the team responds.

In terms of the defence, many have talked about deficiencies and communication - I wonder whether it’s the 3 at the back. When you play 2 centre halves, it’s a really clear game plan - ‘you sweep, I’ll go with the man’. I suspect having a third player throws doubt into ‘who goes where?’ and ‘who claims responsibility?’ in certain areas. That’s certainly how I saw it today anyway. I suspect that’s one that will improve with time.

Anyway, not good but not too concerning. Let’s see what these players can do now they’ve suffered a set back.

I said before the game that this was a real opportunity to see where our midfield were and I think we found out.

I’m simply not convinced by Yates, Colback or Garner. I think they’re ponderous and aren’t strong enough to win the battles for a side looking to push on. I’d prioritise that position along with a striker in January/summer.

Overall, it was never a 0-4 game but I thought we were off colour and deserved to lose. I’m not concerned but eager to see how the team responds.

In terms of the defence, many have talked about deficiencies and communication - I wonder whether it’s the 3 at the back. When you play 2 centre halves, it’s a really clear game plan - ‘you sweep, I’ll go with the man’. I suspect having a third player throws doubt into ‘who goes where?’ and ‘who claims responsibility?’ in certain areas. That’s certainly how I saw it today anyway. I suspect that’s one that will improve with time.

Anyway, not good but not too concerning. Let’s see what these players can do now they’ve suffered a set back.
The 3 at the back is relatively new to them there will be some cock ups while they learn how things work, hopefully Soh is back soon and he can fit in for fig add a bit more composure and passing ability.

Just got home.

Seems ridiculous to say this but we didn't deserve to lose that.

I stayed to the bitter end because I wanted to cheer the team off because they deserved it.

We were the better team for about 75% of that game.

Looking at the teamsheet I couldn't understand how this Fulham side can't stay in the Prem. Now I know. They are a bunch of outstanding individuals, but a poor team. Those outstanding individuals are just average in the top flight. We have no superstars like Mitrovic on over £80k a week but we were a better team.

Unfortunately, we were killed by their outstanding individuals, our own mistakes and a referee that was over generous to Fulham.

First goal was silly; I need to see it again, but I couldn't work out how Samba let it get under him at the time. Daft.

Second goal was the opposite end to me. It looked like a defensive cock up that left a gift for Mr Big Bucks.

Their third was their only good goal. Fair play, great counter attack.

Couldn't see the penalty; judging by the vociferous reaction of our players, I would guess that it wasn't clear cut, but I can't say. Samba nearly saved that too.

We blew two big chances, of which Grabban skied the key one. You could say that was a turning point just as you could say the second goal was. Don't get on Grabban's back though; it was a bad miss, but he played a great centre forward game as part of the front three and wasn't the only one to fluff his lines.

Fulham were deeply average throughout and their fans will file this in the "we didn't play well but we still won 4-0 so we must be champion material" box of optimistic denial. They didn't look a promotion team to me and far from a PL one.

Forest played well for almost all of it, apart from a ten minute spell where they lost their heads a bit. The crowd stayed right behind them and warmly applauded them off, and they deserved that.

It seems daft to say, but we could have won that. We gifted then three goals and blew our own best chances. Can't remember ever losing 4-0 and feeling hard done to
Just read through report Pope - at least you and me were at the same game - bad 10 mins and lost midfield when Colback was taken off. No choice on that - ref told him - one more and you’re off.

Not too disheartening. The scoreline flattered Fulham. Comical defending for the opener We had enough chances to level it up before their second. Ref was a joke at times. Awarding poor free kicks and then even weirder ones moments later to level things up.

Johnson Jr is lively and will hopefully learn quickly to play a man through and/or some subtly to his touches.

Bring on the R's. We'll ave em.