Forest v Brentford Match Thread Sponsored By The RSPCA Why Are All The Bees Dying Campaign. | Page 13 | Vital Football

Forest v Brentford Match Thread Sponsored By The RSPCA Why Are All The Bees Dying Campaign.

Well, I didn't see much hit and hope football. In fact, we played far more hit and hope under Billy Davies than under MON so far. Not a lot of you complained about that at the time, probably because we made the play offs! He was no different to the Warnocks of the world, the very definition of percentage football.
Ball to McKenna, then hooded towards the corner flag for Crapshot to chase.

I did! I admired the playoff team he put together and it's qualities but it was a hard team to love.

Leeds dominate possession because of the way they press and move.

But in two games against us they must have had 60%-70% possession in each.

Yet they conceded 5 goals and four points to us (and by rights that should have been 6). In what little possession we did have, a Leeds player managed to lose his head and get sent off.

I believe you are exaggerating how bad we were yesterday. I felt football wise it was a significant improvement on the previous two home games, not least because any long balls we did play were far more aimed and far more likely to reach a red short-term Grabban played a big role in that.

Long ball by definition is the kicking of the ball long into POMOs (positions of maximum opportunity). That is the tactic. That is what we were doing against Wigan and Bristol.

But if you are actually reaching your own players, that is a long pass not a long ball and not the long ball tactic. Simarly, criticising long throws is staggering in my view.

I remember back in the late 90's a club (I think it was Chelsea) criticised Leicester for being a long ball team- until Opta showed that Chelsea used significantly more long passes than Leicester. Were that Chelsea team of Vialli a long ball team?

I know you admire Brentford for their style. It isn't going to happen here under this regime, you just have to accept that.

I personally admire nothing about that club other than their transfer hit rate

We weren't reaching our players though with any type of accuracy, our pass accuracy was just above 50%, coupled with the huge number of long balls as a % of the actual passes we made shows it was about areas.

I do admire Brentford on and off the pitch and I miss being proud of how we play football. It isn't just about winning for me :/ don't think it's totally unreasonable to want to watch something that's at least occasionally beautiful.

We weren't reaching our players though with any type of accuracy, our pass accuracy was just above 50%, coupled with the huge number of long balls as a % of the actual passes we made shows it was about areas.

I do admire Brentford on and off the pitch and I miss being proud of how we play football. It isn't just about winning for me :/ don't think it's totally unreasonable to want to watch something that's at least occasionally beautiful.
Decent stats, but they still don't mean long ball. As others have pointed out, the wind had a significant effect. Grabban read it better, but it still accounts for some balls not reaching their target.

And, for the first time ever this season, who is top of the expected goals Charts for a match?
Screenshot_20190210-205040_Twitter.jpg
That's the first time we have even been high enough to appear in this chart.

Worth noting that Brentford weren't in the top 6 for passing accuracy this weekend either...

Basically, I agree that the last few weeks have been ugly and unacceptable. Yesterday I felt was less so and a step in the right direction, both in terms of returning to entertaining football but more importantly creating more clear cut chances.

Presumably you disagree

Take Watson out and who do you make captain ..please don't say Benny..to me there's really none that stands out as a natural leader with the bollocks to urge the team on
Jacob or Colback. You cannot play Watson just because he is a leader, when he is not good enough to be starting games. Milosevic looked more of a leader than Watson yesterday!

Decent stats, but they still don't mean long ball. As others have pointed out, the wind had a significant effect. Grabban read it better, but it still accounts for some balls not reaching their target.

And, for the first time ever this season, who is top of the expected goals Charts for a match?
View attachment 31312
That's the first time we have even been high enough to appear in this chart.

Worth noting that Brentford weren't in the top 6 for passing accuracy this weekend either...

Basically, I agree that the last few weeks have been ugly and unacceptable. Yesterday I felt was less so and a step in the right direction, both in terms of returning to entertaining football but more importantly creating more clear cut chances.

Presumably you disagree

I think the football was exactly the same, only it was more effective. Doing something ugly well instead of badly doesn't make it beautiful.

If this is to be our style I'd rather it worked, so yesterday was definitely a step in the right direction from that perspective, just don't expect me to love it.

The fact our most technical and creative player continues to sit on the bench is very much indicative of our style to me.

I hope MON can find a way to balance his pragmatism with a dash of style on occasion. AK was starting to...

I think the football was exactly the same, only it was more effective. Doing something ugly well instead of badly doesn't make it beautiful.

If this is to be our style I'd rather it worked, so yesterday was definitely a step in the right direction from that perspective, just don't expect me to love it.

The fact our most technical and creative player continues to sit on the bench is very much indicative of our style to me.

I hope MON can find a way to balance his pragmatism with a dash of style on occasion. AK was starting to...
either way we wernt getting enough goals with just grabz n carvs up front