foreign aid - india - n/g | Page 2 | Vital Football

foreign aid - india - n/g

Sorry, but if you believe that foreign aid is about helping the poor in another Country, you are a real donut. It's all about gaining political influence.
It's about paying hotel bills for men that have travelled here from Afghanistan, Albania, Iran etc (£6 million a day as Shotshy says). We haven't been helping actual poor in 3rd world countries for years, that money has been redirected. Don't know where the "political influence" is there?

Funnily enough you won’t find many farmers now who still think Brexit is/was a good idea.
Did they ever? I thought Farmers were the main beneficiaries of EU cheap labour? The farm I drive past to pick my kids up has 10 static mobile homes on site that I can see from the road.

Fortunately, the U.K. is taking the £6million a day that is spent on housing illegal immigrants out of the Foreign Aid budget.
So in the future, there is less available for foreign countries.
Personally, I always thought that the £13 billion that we annually contributed to the EU for membership should have also come from the foreign aid budget, because that’s pretty much what it was.
Btw, it’s estimated that last year’s contribution would have been £18 billion, had we not had the sense to vote to leave.
Add to that, our portion of the Covid Recovery Debt that the EU implement.
Mind boggling.
Sorry but this is such economic rubbish at so many levels. There’s yet to be a clear analysis of the additional costs that we’ve incurred since leaving. We once contributed through the budget to things like the European Medicines Agency. Now we have had to replicate its cost rather than pay a contribution towards the total. Add to that all the other agencies we are having to replicate. It’s the reverse of why things are done on a cooperative basis to save costs. We’ve deliberately incurred additional costs. And of course the biggie is that by erecting trade barriers, the contributions are completely dwarfed by the costs in lost growth. We are still at the bottom of the post Covid recovery economic growth league. Brexiteers love to point at Germany and say “look our growth is bigger”. Indeed it is but as our GDP fell far further than theirs then that’s what you’d expect but still we haven’t got close to Germany’s recovery levels. If you’re trying to deny that the UK is suffering then take a look at our public services compared to our EU counterparts. Take a walk down a typical British high street then visit one in Germany or France or Belgium or the Netherlands. Take a look at the way the arts are suffering here. Take a look at the state of the NHS compared with continental health services. Take a look at the cost and availability of public transport here and on the continent. If there is all this cash that we had the sense not to send to the EU surely everything would be fine. Otherwise, why does it seem like we haven’t got two brass farthings fir anything. Something seriously doesn’t add up in your logic and the polls suggest that people are coming to realise what that is. Brexit,

How do you work that out ?

In the last years we paid around £15-£17 billion net to the EU (after rebate).

The EU spent around £8-£10 billion in the UK....on projects approved by the EU.

That seems like a net outflow to me.:oops:
And we’ve replaced a fraction of that because of the state of the economy. We are still at the bottom of the post Covid recovery league table.

I find it abhorrent that India can spend money sending rockets to the moon when there are literally tens of millions of impoverished people living in shanty towns. My daughter has visited India twice for work and she has come back distressed at the extreme poverty displayed in the big cities, where the poor are contrasted by a wealthy but relatively small middle class who spend their money without regard for anybody else. I agree that giving foreign aid to countries like this is nothing short of irresponsible at best, criminal at worst.
I think it’s not as simple as that. I think everyone would agree that we would like not to be spending Foreign Aid in India but it remains a fact that some of the worst poverty levels are to be found on the sub continent. Yet there is probably agreement that economic growth is the way to get development and reduce those poverty levels. India is using technology as the way to kick start growth. While it does so, and I presume people would want them to succeed in that, would it be right to ignore the immediate needs of those in dire poverty that India is currently unable to deal with. Or should we say to India, drop your plans to get economic growth going and simply use that money to alleviate some of the poverty now. That seems to me to be very shortsighted.

In 2015, 44% of U.K. goods and services were exported to the EU
In 2022, 42% of U.K. goods and services were exported to the EU.

In 2015, 44% of U.K. goods and services were exported to the EU
In 2022, 42% of U.K. goods and services were exported to the EU.
In 2022 the Ukraine war greatly exaggerated the UK export figures by including gas that was traded on the London exchange. This was merely a ‘pass through’ for which the UK gained no monetary benefit.

In 2022 the Ukraine war greatly exaggerated the UK export figures by including gas that was traded on the London exchange. This was merely a ‘pass through’ for which the UK gained no monetary benefit.
Oh!
I didn’t know that.
So, a bit like Rotterdam imports and exports and Ireland’s false GDP.
Interesting.

So no broker, Exchange fees or traders' margin then ? :oops:

And we’ve replaced a fraction of that because of the state of the economy. We are still at the bottom of the post Covid recovery league table.
Please link to this "Covid recovery league table".

Thanks

EDIT
Plenty of people don't like GDP - because it is a Volume figure.
It says nothing about profit or retained earnings.
Money spent on flood repair, a pandemic or over-spending on HS2 (or whatever) is hardly desirable.

But comparing 2019 with 2022 (World Bank data)
Germany, France and the UK appear to have just about returned to pre-Covid GDP (subject to roundings)
Japan has yet to recover.

So what are you measuring ?

Last edited:
Insignificant compared to any financial reparations for indian losses during the raj.
When the east india company went to india 40% of world trade was owned by india. We them moved to owning that 40%.

Maybe the un can estimate the slavery reparations owed to the uk by the romans and by the normans. What about that owed to the irish from Norway, Sweden and Denmark for the industrial scale of people enslaved and sold worldwide.
Maybe do the same for the slavery across africa by both muslim and african tribal nations as they assisted and orchestrated the sale of 25m africans slaves both internally and externally.
It goes on and on, just how far back do you want to go with 'righting selected wrongs'?

Laughed when they mention the usa as they along with russia and israel and others do not belong to the icj and we could also just drop out.

Lets fight old battles instead of working to improve the world!

Insignificant compared to any financial reparations for indian losses during the raj.
When the east india company went to india 40% of world trade was owned by india. We them moved to owning that 40%.

Maybe the un can estimate the slavery reparations owed to the uk by the romans and by the normans. What about that owed to the irish from Norway, Sweden and Denmark for the industrial scale of people enslaved and sold worldwide.
Maybe do the same for the slavery across africa by both muslim and african tribal nations as they assisted and orchestrated the sale of 25m africans slaves both internally and externally.
It goes on and on, just how far back do you want to go with 'righting selected wrongs'?

Laughed when they mention the usa as they along with russia and israel and others do not belong to the icj and we could also just drop out.

Lets fight old battles instead of working to improve the world!
the sheep of the world governed by the wolves, always were & still are .....

We talk about a lot of different things -wealth, status, security, happiness, absolute gains and relative gains eg- when we talk about this stuff. I think it very important not to lump all sorts of things together, and then identify a single explanation for them all. UN figures suggest that a massive chunk of humanity has been lifted out of absolute poverty over the last few decades. The material baseline is getting higher.

I was a Brexiteer -still am. But actually existing Brexit was a fuck up, the costs of which are easy to see, the gains of which not so much. We should have edged out, but the manner of our departure hugely strengthened the hand of those committed to the European project, and weakened those who shared our/my skepticism. On the EU, let’s see how things look in10 years, but for now, the future of the EU is far down the list of Europe’s, including Britain’s, problems. If the US pulls back from Europe, then European states will have some very difficult guns or butter choices to make. If they choose butter, they will have to appease Putin. And if they appease Putin, this will have a profound effect upon their own internal politics. Ugh!