Footballing hardmen | Vital Football

Footballing hardmen

Ruskingtony

Vital Squad Member
I was flicking through wikipedia last night checking up on some ex imps from years past.
George Peden , Gordon Hughes etc.. and came across Terry Branston. I remember him as one of the toughest and strongest guys I have seen play for the Imps since I started watching them in 1960. I would put him has number one in the list with Thommo a close second. Just a bit of fun but would be interested to know what others think.

I was thinking about this a few days ago, trying to come up with a Imps XI you wouldn't want to meet on a dark night.

Fash would be in there.

Tommo as mentioned.

Probably Scott Willis?

Other names to add into the mix?

Surely have to be Batch or Richardson in goal, but you would need to have been a little demented to mix it with Terry Carling.

simes69 - 23/3/2018 10:34

I was thinking about this a few days ago, trying to come up with a Imps XI you wouldn't want to meet on a dark night.

Fash would be in there.

Tommo as mentioned.

Probably Scott Willis?

Other names to add into the mix?

More reckless and stupid was Willis rather than hard IMO.

Impartiality - 23/3/2018 10:45

Surely have to be Batch or Richardson in goal, but you would need to have been a little demented to mix it with Terry Carling.

The thought of Barry Richardson still makes my blood boil!!

That incident at Macclesfield when Jon Witney and that Macc player got in a tangle and he deliberately put the boot in on that Macc player laying on the ground was cowardly and disgusting, Absolute bloody disgrace :burn:

In my opinion he wasn't a hard man he was just an out and out thug and bully who never made me felt more ashamed of being a City fan!! Tosspot!

If memory serves me correctly Jon Whitney and the Macc player went for the same ball in the box and ended up in a heap as they rolled over Richardson came around and kicked the Macc player in the midriff. He deservedly got sent off and after that I never had any time or respect for him!

Terry Cooper could get stuck in. Trevor Meath in midfield and of course Percy Freeman up front would just run through defenders.

Of all the players I've ever seen, I can't think of anyone better in putting the fear into the opposition than Michael Bostwick.

Trevor Matthewson took no prisoners.

And the holy one's nickname was 'Robert the Bruise' while at Blundell Park.

Davidimp - 23/3/2018 11:56

Terry Fleming
Michael Bostwick
Matt Rhead
Not so sure that Rhead is a "hardman", although I wouldn't want a winder off him. Depends how you define it I suppose. To me a football hardman is the unhinged midfielder or defender that always turned a 50:50 into a 60:40 by sheer strength and lack of fear for personal (or the other players!) wellbeing.