(FOOTBALL TALK!!) Pompey v Peterborough - League Cup | Vital Football

(FOOTBALL TALK!!) Pompey v Peterborough - League Cup

pompeyrug

Alert Team
The league cup gets underway for Pompey on Tuesday when Posh come to Fratton.

Will, as it has most seasons in recent years, be our one and only league cup game tho?

I would like a cup run, yep it 'can get in the way' but can also be a positive distraction and a win or two wouldnt hurt would it...

Thought?

Do share them in this thread pre, during and post game!

I think a competitive game at home before the first home league game is an excellent way for the new players to experience Fratton Park. It would be nice to have a good cup run for financial and morale purposes, but as a taster of what to expect and what is expected from the players is invaluable, win or lose.

I think its a good thing this season, as Pompey have got so many players at the present time, I think that pprobably several of those who didnt play V Exeter will play on Tuesday. Probably our new on loan central defender will play cos he is going to need to get into the swing of things as soon as possible.

Think you could be spot on Lemmi?

I know they had the friendlies at Fratton but they are not the same are they...

Posh are a very good side, they have lost some firepower but still a cracking side that should give us a good game - lets hope we give them a good game in return.

A competitive game at the Park before the weekend, when expectations will be SKY HIGH might not be a bad thing at all.

Not a game I am going to but looking forward to this one and will listen tomorrow night.

I'm going to this one and very much looking forward to seeing this new Pompey side. There's no doubting Peterborough are good but I'm hopeful we can get something out of this. Am I right in saying this has to be decided on the night? So extra time and pens if necessary?

Indeed you are right Jake!

ET if needed and then penalties, no replies any longer in this comp but I am sure that unlike the Paint Pot this still does have ET if needed...

Was really impressed by how good we were defensively. My only gripe was that we seemed to be a little keen to smash the ball clear at every opportunity. A really good team performance and the 3 at the back with wingbacks formation seemed to work! Second round draw is this evening. Premier league teams are in. United away anyone?

All the stats from Pompey (1) vs (0) Peterborough, Fratton, 12/08/14, 7.45pm Att: 7726

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?545274">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

I think I will save Manyoo for the final Jake :14:

Glad to hear it worked well and even glader to hear that the flying wingbacks could be in operation again - have been thinking that 3 at the back could be our way forward?

Cracking win and 'good scalp' too as Posh are no mugs!

This now gives Awfs three formations to play with.

His favoured 4-2-3-1 and now 3-5-2 plus of course the old 4-4-2.
that will keep the opposition guessing eh?

eastneydave - 13/8/2014 13:15

This now gives Awfs three formations to play with.

His favoured 4-2-3-1 and now 3-5-2 plus of course the old 4-4-2.
that will keep the opposition guessing eh?

Probably keep our team guessing as well. :17:

Ok we did hoof the ball away for periods of the second half but in the first I thought we kept the ball with some composure and what we saw was often pleasing to the eye. A few periods of quick, incisive inter passing was a joy to watch and is indicative of the growing confidence and understanding within the squad. Hang on to your hats guys, it could be one hell of a season! PUP PPU!

From the talk I have had with people, the limited I was able to follow, it sounded impressive enough.

Best of all we RARELY looked like we would concede, almost unheard of for us!

Pompey claimed their first victory of the 14/15 season with a brilliant Capital One Cup win over League One Peterborough. Darren Ferguson's side succumbed to an excellent Blues display, in front of t

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?545291">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Not a feeling that we have felt often in the league cup in recent years but Tuesday night brought a rare cup win for Pompey are we caused 'an upset' to beat Posh.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?545289">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

It is not a feeling that we have felt that often in the league cup in recent years but Tuesday night brought a rare cup win for Pompey are we caused 'an upset', or 'cupset' as Pompey put it, to beat Peterborough.

You know what, I had a good feeling about this game – I sensed we would beat our league one opponents and beat them we did by winning 1-0 thanks to <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Miles Storey</font></b> scoring on his full, and of course home, debut after just 12-minutes.

Midweek games are not often games I travel from Devon for these days, so I missed this one.

A combination of work, family and technical issues meant that I got to virtually follow NONE of the game so really cannot offer up too much comment, although this section is more about 'what the boss said' with <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Andy Awford's</font></b> views...

AA said he, and the boys, were 'up for the cup', and so it seemed!

He could not contain his delight, and pride, when talking to the Pompey Site after the game, knowing we had beaten a decent league one side that will do well: 'we're delighted to get through because Peterborough are a quality side who came here in good spirits after beating Rochdale at the weekend.

'They played some good stuff and I expect them to do well this season but I thought our lads were magnificent – the desire and effort they showed was absolutely fantastic.'

After the weekend game I said that I thought Storey would be a good player for us.

Without seeing, hearing or following too much, I cannot say too much about last night but his frightening pace is something that I felt we would really benefit from during his loan spell and this was a problem for Posh it seems.

On Storey AA said: 'Miles is a real threat with his pace and took the goal ever so well. It was a fantastic finish that nestled in the bottom corner.'

A performance that 'delighted' AA saw a tactical switch made when we 'went with a back three and flooded the midfield to shut them out' after 'opening them up' in the 1st half, with his only disappointment being that we 'were only one goal up at the break'.

With everyone playing 'their heart out' he could not have asked for much more!

Now, for the first time since 2010 we can look forward to the 2nd round of the league cup draw knowing that we are in it! Although who will we face?

AA, if we are at home would like 'someone from our league because we'd have more of a chance of progressing' but should we get an away game then he would like 'one of the Premier League big-boys – that would be a bit of a money spinner.'

I am just happy to be looking forward to at least one more game in the league cup!

This will also do us the world of good ahead of our first league game at home when Cambridge come to Fratton this weekend, bring it on...

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://twitter.com/vitalportsmouth " target="blank"><b>Follow @VitalPortsmouth</b></a>.

PLAY UP POMPEY!

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18547" target="blank"><b>Click here to make your prediction: Pompey v Cambridge</b></a>.

<b><I>Vital Pompey always wants blogs, so if can offer us something we would love to share it with the masses!

To email your own unique article/blog for publishing</b> <a href="mailto:portsmouth@vitalfootball.co.uk"><font color="#0E4FB0"><b>***CLICK HERE***</font></b></a></I>