(FOOTBALL TALK!!) Exeter v Pompey | Vital Football

(FOOTBALL TALK!!) Exeter v Pompey

pompeyrug

Alert Team
So, here we go again!

Another season gets underway this weekend with Pompey heading to Devon to take on Exeter.

How will we start, win, lose or draw?

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18548" target="blank"><b>Click here to make your prediction: Exeter v Pompey</b></a>.

Pompey enter a new season with great expectations once more, the same could of been said of last year, but this really does feel different, the feel good factor is abundant, season tickets have sold a

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?545150">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Front page preview for Paul up and running on the link above so check it out...

In it I said: <i>Great to have the previews back Paul, this is when you know the season REALLY is here - bring on tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Not expecting an 'easy ride' at all but do think we will win... 3-1?</i>

Come on guys, the season is here so lets have some football talk and not just comment in the word threads etc.

Appreciate we had the summer off, I did too with other jobs, but the season is now back in action so lets talk footie :1:

Won't be making this one unfortunately but I think we stand an excellent chance of getting the 3 points. Exeter have had a woeful season with their captain leaving this week amongst a host of other players and staff. Things are so bad that Tisdale has had to register himself as a player!
I don't often bet on Portsmouth to win but today I have. Trying to remember the last time we won on an opening day!

As said in another thread...

I think, with all due respect to them, that Exeter is our most winnable games this month and Oxford is another I think we will get all 3pts from.

The rest are winnable but tricky - Cambridge will be BANG up for it next weekend!

I am certain we will see the odd week when we get hammered, that is just the way it will be but these will be rare and not defeats every other week - I reckon we will also dish out some beating (on the pitch, not off it!) too...

BRING IT ON!

Foolishly I do bet on Pompey, usually only very small amounts and more 'for fun' you know, the odd quid each game... gone slightly more today, but NOT much more :14:

Bite to eat then I will be heading off to meet some mates

Very little :7: today as I did my back in and on pain killers so cannot over do it!

First half - deja vu; but second a good fight-back and could have won it.

I thought Atangana made a difference when he came on - (via commentary only!).

Atangana looks a decent player, think AA might have learned a thing or two today about what works and what doesnt...

Westcarr out wide, for me, DOESNT!

Barcham had a decent game but again, as so often was the case previously, there is no final ball or end product.

1st half we were poor, so unexpected as I thought we would start brightly and not be flat but 2nd hald MUCH better - do think this result 'might' calm some overly hyped expectations and couldnt beleive some booing and jeering at half time mind! FFS its 45-minutes of the FIRST game of the season...

Until the season is a month or two old little can be known tbh can it, I tell you tho I am pretty sure who I would sooner be supporting come May as, even tho they held their own for large parts, Exeter will do well to stay up for me.

A draw was about right and fair today for me and a draw away ISNT the worst result at all is it?

Am I allowed to be disappointed, reading about Exeter's woes I think they will be relegation candidates this season so 2 points dropped against them even first game of the season is disappointing.

Jimsmithswig - 10/8/2014 10:46

Am I allowed to be disappointed, reading about Exeter's woes I think they will be relegation candidates this season so 2 points dropped against them even first game of the season is disappointing.

Of course you are Wiggy, no two ways about it as much as I say a point isnt a bad point it isnt the result I was thinking we would get dare I say expecting?

1st half we were woeful, stepped up a few gears 2nd half but still much more in the tank I am sure - always threatened an equaliser but I was not sure we would get that final ball right...

We would have been much more disappointed had we lost eh! Tbh, as much as things are not going well for Exeter, I am not sure it was quite as much 'woe' as has been mentioned during the week as there were still some experienced players in the line-up when you stop and look properly.

They will be in trouble this season methinks but you get some odd results on the opening day and we avoided a real surprise by not losing - this is a game I am sure we WOULD HAVE lost last season...

Hurray! The season is back! Pompey kicked off their 14/15 campaign with a decent 1-1 draw at a strong Exeter. All pre-season work was out into action, resulting in a game of completely different halve

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?545188">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

For a large while at the weekend Pompey, right up their with the bookies as 'favourites' for league two promotion, looked as though Exeter - woes and all - could have beaten us!

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?545211">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

For a large while at the weekend Pompey, right up their with the bookies as 'favourites' for league two promotion, looked as though Exeter – woes and all – could have beaten us!

A 1st half, best forgotten from those in the stands – and Exeter has to be the worst ground in the world to view a game as a visiting supporter! – saw us go into the break 1-0 down, with it also one that <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Andy Awford</font></b> was not happy with...

He might not have 'ranted and raved' as such but he would have made it clear what he expected from his side, and that was not it! Talking to the Pompey Site he said: 'the first half wasn't good enough. We were solid and they didn't create too much, but we didn't move the ball quick enough.

'That was the message to the lads at half-time. We didn't change shape – just asked them to move the ball into wide areas and believe in what they’re doing.'

Whatever was said at half time worked...

There was only one side doing anything for much of the 2nd half, we were literally 'camped in their half' as AA says and as much as Exeter did look like they could have broken a time or two they did not test our goalie at all.

A point was the least we deserved, which could have been more: 'thankfully they listened to that, played better and got a goal – and might have got two or three more.

'We've created enough chances. Andy Barcham went through and there was a penalty appeal. We were camped in their half.

'Exeter were dangerous on the counter-attack, but I don't think Paul Jones was called into action too much.'

The opening day is always a strange one, everyone comes in on a level playing field there are no 'clear favourites' as such and you can often get some 'strange' results so the positive is that we avoided one of those!

AA, rightly so, was much happier with the 2nd half showing with him saying that was of 'the standard we expect from them'.

More showings like the 2nd half one and it will be a decent season, I still worry defensively as against sides better coming forward we WILL be caused problems but we also know that we can create openings and as long as we are patient we will score more, on the whole, than we concede.

Both <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Jed Wallace</font></b> and <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Jack Whatmough</font></b>, at opposite ends of the pitch, impressed with Whatmough getting into advanced positions a lot!

Wallace though was the one given special mention by AA: 'I thought Jed was excellent. It was a great ball from Nigel Atangana to send him away for the goal and he cut inside and produced a good finish.

'He's always practising that on the training ground – coming inside on his right foot and on to his left.

'It was good technique for the finish and I thought his performance deserved a goal.'

This was more the type of showing we know Wallace can offer, with the speculation surrounding his future gone – of course I am not naïve enough to think a new deal means he will not go – I reckon we will see this type of performance regularly this season, which could be key to our season...

<b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Craig Westcarr</font></b>, for me, does not work out wide though based on this evidence and that is where he found himself for large periods of the game – I think he is the focal point, or should be, of the attack but then you lose the impact of <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Ryan Taylor</font></b>, who I thought led the line pretty well.

I think some of the calls from some fans around me that 'Westcarr is another McLeod' were a bit harsh... Hopefully he will not be, but come on you cannot decide this after one competitive game can you?

Some might also have had their expectation levels revaluated?

Again, this is only one game but for some people to be barracking the players as much as they did when they came off at half time, with some boos too, was way too much for me – my views on booing are well known, and granted we did not play well in the 1st half but ONE 45-minutes of football is all it was for Christ sake!

Do not get me wrong my expectation levels are fairly high for this season but we WILL NOT walk this league, and I do think some need to remember this...

Oh, and a mention must go, following a very impressive showing when he came on, to <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Nigel Atangana</font></b>. This guy looks like he could be a real find!

It is hard to say if this was 'a point won' or '2pts dropped' at this stage of the season, yep I thought we would win, perhaps I expected it but I take solace in the fact that we did not lose and I am pretty sure that this is a game that we would have lost last season...

Onwards and upwards!

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://twitter.com/vitalportsmouth " target="blank"><b>Follow @VitalPortsmouth</b></a>.

PLAY UP POMPEY!

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18547" target="blank"><b>Click here to make your prediction: Pompey v Cambridge</b></a>.

<b><I>Vital Pompey always wants blogs, so if can offer us something we would love to share it with the masses!

To email your own unique article/blog for publishing</b> <a href="mailto:portsmouth@vitalfootball.co.uk"><font color="#0E4FB0"><b>***CLICK HERE***</font></b></a></I>

Agree 100% re the barracking/boo-boys, Rug, but I do have a shred of sympathy.

In these belt-tightening times fans have forked out hard-earned money to keep the club alive and expect a decent return for that.

Having said that, I think a more positive approach would be to encourage the team at this early stage of the season. Booing/barracking is totally counter-productive.

I think it is a case of lots of new players once again. While friendlies are good work outs before the season, plenty of players still have to get playing together in serious competitive matches. :59:

Know what you mean Blue, it is a big commitment to keep putting money into the club and following it - the more fans put in the more some expect in return?

Footie doesnt work that way does it...

I do not like the booing and the like but if you pay your money you have your right, within reason, to do what you want but after 45-minutes of the FIRST league game of the season, that surely has to be way too soon!

Fortunately I do think it was only a very, very small minority...

Whilst listening to the commentary I also watched the News 'tickertape'. I couldn't believe the number of derogatory remarks, like calling for AA's head. The first game of the season!!

Could have been Scummer trolls I suppose :10: