Football pitches back in the day....... | Vital Football

Football pitches back in the day.......

alex_farrells_left_peg

Vital Squad Member
I couldn't sleep this morning and ended up going downstairs so as not to disturb the missus and her "beauty sleep" Turned the TV on and noticed there was a re-run of "the big match" from 1975 being shown. Jumped in half way and was utterly astonished to see Andy Nelson, yes the Charlton Andy Nelson, talking with Brian Moore regarding their game against Southend the day before. I sort of hoped that BM was going to ask him why he had done the dirty on us back in the day.... unfortunately I think that he had probably been forbidden to do so but never mind, Peacock, Hales and Flanagan were mentioned so there was a wee Gills tinge there.

That, however, is not what really caught my attention.... they also show highlights of a game between Derby and Stoke (I think) at the Baseball ground and I could not believe they played a match on something that was not dissimilar to a free range pig farm field. Up to their bloody ankles in mud and hardly a blade of grass visible. We moan about the grass at Priestfield but believe me, it looks like a snooker table compared to what they played on. I honestly can't remember pitch at Priestfield ever looking that bad - but there again, I have only been supporting them for almost 60 years so.....what do I know?

Last edited:
Iirc Clough used to deliberately water the pitch and make it even worse when facing European oppos in order to limit their game.

Yes, pitches were a quagmire from October until they dried up at Easter and the ball then bobbled all over the place. Vitrually impossible to play decent football.

Groundkeeping, pitch preparation, drainage engineering have all improved immeasurably over the years. You don't learn your trade by listening to an old geezer, who inherited the job from his dad because modern football relies on modern pitches. Those pictures bring back many memories whitstable though Priestfield was better than many first division pitches and Ipswich were reckoned the best. What I most remember is the absolute incredulity on finding a game postponed, or abandoned because players would turn out on mud, snow and ice and in thunderstorms.

I can't find anything online but I'm sure our groundsman won an award for our pitch back in the 80's?
I seem to remember we came second only to Arsenal or something.

I can't find anything online but I'm sure our groundsman won an award for our pitch back in the 80's?
Yes my dad told me the Priestfield pitch came third behind only Wembley and Highbury in some vote or award for best pitches in the leagues.

And IFRC our groundsman was subsequently headhunted by Chelsea