Football Governance Bill | Vital Football

Football Governance Bill

Buddha

Vital Football Hero
Anybody watching the House of Commons right now?

That Tory MP for Gillingham and Rainham just mentioned us!

He also mentioned Scally and said we're doing marvellously moving up the league!

His main point though, was that the scrapping of FA Cup replays will negatively effect clubs like ours.

He also mentioned Scally and said we're doing marvellously moving up the league!

His main point though, was that the scrapping of FA Cup replays will negatively effect clubs like ours.

Thanks for sharing.

I’m really curious about the financial impact of not having FA Cup replays. My ‘gut feeling’ is that is isn’t material I. The grand scheme of things. Is it really that much of a problem for clubs like ours?

I think that the real issue might just be the way that the FA and EFL have, seemingly, decided amongst themselves without engaging with clubs. And, understandably, EFL clubs are pissed off.

There was another Tory (MP for West Bromwich) who was quoting some FSA statistics about TV money and parachute payments to clubs relegated from the Premier League.

Apparently 92% of the money has gone to the 20 Premier League Clubs and 5 clubs in the Championship who have received parachute payments. The remaining 8% was shared between the 67 other clubs.

And now Tracey Crouch (Tory MP for Chatham) has just spoken.

Medway being well represented in this debate in a nearly empty chamber.

Tbf, all the politicians (Tory and Labour) are saying good things in this debate. Labour bloke chatting now about how he'd like to see more fan owned clubs.

Thanks for sharing.

I’m really curious about the financial impact of not having FA Cup replays. My ‘gut feeling’ is that is isn’t material I. The grand scheme of things. Is it really that much of a problem for clubs like ours?

I think that the real issue might just be the way that the FA and EFL have, seemingly, decided amongst themselves without engaging with clubs. And, understandably, EFL clubs are pissed off.
The EFL released a statement the day it was announced that they hadn’t been consulted, it was a decision made by the FA with the PL.

Gills mentioned again!

Has our club ever before been mentioned twice in the HofC in just one hour?!

Bolton Tory just had to check his notes to remind himself where Bolton currently are in the league?

Thanks for the heads up.Now watching.

Thanks for sharing.

Not a problem as we really should budget for elimination in the first round but a lost opportunity for sure.

You would imagine that a bumper pay day in cup replays would help secure a clubs financial future for a year or two or allow them to invest in facilities or even playing budget.

You can still get drawn away to a big boy and that gives you the same benefit but if drawn at home you no longer get the chance of a potentially money spinning replay away at one of the big boys and possibly on the TV.

I'd rather a replay at Arsenal / Spurs than lose in a shoot out at the end of the home game.

#metoo

I’d like to see some actual figures to base judgement on but I suspect it’s minimal when divided by the number of entrants.

I suspect a large part of any financial impact will be the lack of TV money for showing replays. Otherwise I suspect a lot of replays in rounds 1-3 between non-prem sides will make a financial loss.

#metoo

I’d like to see some actual figures to base judgement on but I suspect it’s minimal when divided by the number of entrants.

I suspect a large part of any financial impact will be the lack of TV money for showing replays. Otherwise I suspect a lot of replays in rounds 1-3 between non-prem sides will make a financial loss.
Agreed and I think most people are talking about the big boy replays from round 3 onwards.

Round 1 and 2 have tiny crowds, for many years we didn't even open all the ground for the early rounds. I rarely got to round 1 and 2 games if I am honest despite being a ST holder (I know they aren't covered by the ST)

Agreed and I think most people are talking about the big boy replays from round 3 onwards.

Round 1 and 2 have tiny crowds, for many years we didn't even open all the ground for the early rounds. I rarely got to round 1 and 2 games if I am honest despite being a ST holder (I know they aren't covered by the ST)

They are talking about the big boy replays but removing replays takes away all replays (from R1 onwards) not just the financially lucrative ones.

I do wonder how non league fans feel about retaining replays for the qualifying rounds - can imagine for the really small teams the proposition of playing twice against the likes of Oldham might seem attractive but other than that are they more a pain in the arse - can imagine most would again be loss making.

Still don't get a replay - and that's what the thread is talking about :-)

Bit unfair to present it as one of two options though and disregard the possibility that taking a big club to ET and possibly pens represents a good chance of progression and further financial rewards.

Personally if we drew after 90 mins at home to any team I’d rather take my chances in ET and penalties. Understand I’m in the minority on that front.

If this was a stitch up between the premier league and the FA then could the EFL decide to boycott it? Without the EFl teams it would loose its lustre completely!

Especially as the replays were sacrificed by the FA as part of the deal which aimed restore some prestige. Part of the deal means all game play at weekends and during later rounds there can be no premier teams playing on the Saturday or Sunday. Replays were used as a bargaining chip. EFL with no say by the looks of it.

I’m not that bothered about replays but maybe the prize money for lower league clubs progressing should be increased significantly. That way the financial reward is still there but eases fixture congestion. The EFL needs something from this deal but got nothing.

They are talking about the big boy replays but removing replays takes away all replays (from R1 onwards) not just the financially lucrative ones.

I do wonder how non league fans feel about retaining replays for the qualifying rounds - can imagine for the really small teams the proposition of playing twice against the likes of Oldham might seem attractive but other than that are they more a pain in the arse - can imagine most would again be loss making.

That's fair and I agree some will be loss leading. Maybe both clubs decide prior to KO on game one whether it will be a replay or ET/Pens.

The general feedback from the clubs has been unsupportive of the change though.

it.

I’m not that bothered about replays but maybe the prize money for lower league clubs progressing should be increased significantly. That way the financial reward is still there but eases fixture congestion. The EFL needs something from this deal but got nothing.

Part of the deal was an additional £33M funding for grassroots football. No idea what exactly is meant by ‘grassroots’ - it might extend to some of the very small teams that play in the first lot of qualifying games but suspect it’s more around facilities for kids.

The general feedback from the clubs has been unsupportive of the change though.

Indeed. While I’m personally not fussed about the loss of replays it’s been extremely poor PR from the FA in how they’ve gone about it without any fitting consultation process.

The beauty of the FA Cup (particularly being unseeded) ha been that everyone is treated similarly (not the same as Prem teams don’t join at R1). Only consulting a few teams destroys that.

I do also wonder if the decision making process fully complied with the FA’s own internal governance policies. Presumably it does or we’d have heard to the contrary by now.

There was another Tory (MP for West Bromwich) who was quoting some FSA statistics about TV money and parachute payments to clubs relegated from the Premier League.

Apparently 92% of the money has gone to the 20 Premier League Clubs and 5 clubs in the Championship who have received parachute payments. The remaining 8% was shared between the 67 other clubs.
Do you mean total TV money from all competitions?

MOTD Saturday, suggested the EPL clubs pull out of the EFL Cup instead and allow just EFL clubs to participate. I think that would be much better than removing replays if the lower clubs need the money.

Or, also, sharing the money better amongst the lower teams.