Football Finances | Vital Football

Football Finances

RedImp73

Vital Reserves Team
Great sounding programme currently on Radio 5 Live about Finances in lower league football. Initial focus was on Bury but is on until 9pm and looking at all aspects of running clubs in the lower leagues.

Probably best on a podcast or catch up. Maybe someone better than me might put a link up on here in due course?

Great sounding programme currently on Radio 5 Live about Finances in lower league football. Initial focus was on Bury but is on until 9pm and looking at all aspects of running clubs in the lower leagues.

Probably best on a podcast or catch up. Maybe someone better than me might put a link up on here in due course?

This must be it then:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0009brl

That's the one - many thanks Imprest 1.

I listened until circa 7:45 before other things took over. Heard a really good interview with Alan Hardy as part of it, talking about many things, including how towards the end of his tenure both he and his kids were spat at in the street. It's a good panel of people including Keiran Maguire (Price of Football), guy from Noth the Top 20 podcast and Mark Palios who now runs Tranmere. Just listening to some of the numbers particularly involving the Championship are quite scary.

The one that got me most was that the average Championship player's wage is £16,000 per week. However if a Championship club wants to 'break even' across the season then they would need to pay every player £5,000 per week.

If this sort of thing interests you this really is worth 2hrs of your time for a listen and may even raise questions or thoughts about how (well?) we are being run and whether we are, or aren't in a good position.

And also:

"The hard facts are that a trickle of cash from the Premier League and the Club’s normal revenues aren’t enough, on their own, to enable us to compete in this league let alone the Championship. Hence the need for my additional investment each year."

A Club the size of Ipswich, relative to L1, reckon they can't compete in L1 without additional investment. Admittedly, bigger club = higher overheads, but still.

And also:

"The hard facts are that a trickle of cash from the Premier League and the Club’s normal revenues aren’t enough, on their own, to enable us to compete in this league let alone the Championship. Hence the need for my additional investment each year."

A Club the size of Ipswich, relative to L1, reckon they can't compete in L1 without additional investment. Admittedly, bigger club = higher overheads, but still.

Yes but are they still paying players on contracts agreed whilst in the Championship and probably averaging £16,000 per player per week.

Yes but are they still paying players on contracts agreed whilst in the Championship and probably averaging £16,000 per player per week.

Last season they had a squad of 45 ! they seem to be 'down' to about 34 this season. Think they have off loaded their big earners but I suspect they are relying on promotion this season to get back to where they think they belong. I know from my local Blues that they give away lots of free tickets so while their reported gates are decent, income wise they are not all they seem.

PS James Wilson is doing well there according to reports, holding down a central starting place.

Thanks for that, really interesting. Puts into context the moronic calls for the club to ‘invest’ and buy every player the manager wants. We’re a recent League One club with gates that will level out (hopefully) at 5/6 thousand. We should behave as such.

Mark Palios came over very well on that. The host Mark Chapman didn't quite get it though. He still seemed to be under the impression that "investors" are coming in to football to make money from the PL.

Debbie Jevans was right when she questioned that, the idea being that some are involved for reasons other than making money, which they clearly are.

On the other hand, if I was a Wycombe fan right now I'd be more than a little concerned after hearing the interview with their proposed new owner.

Alan Hardy's bit went as I expected. He may or may not have been spat at in the street, the guy just can't help wanting to be in the limelight. There's no doubt in my mind that's the real reason he bought County. Palios said he liked him personally but he quickly shot down Hardy's ideas about football ownership.

Nothing's going to change unless the EFL clubs agree to third-party oversight of their funding and expenditure.

Thanks for that, really interesting. Puts into context the moronic calls for the club to ‘invest’ and buy every player the manager wants. We’re a recent League One club with gates that will level out (hopefully) at 5/6 thousand. We should behave as such.

Where's your "ambition", MaineRoad? ;)

That's the one - many thanks Imprest 1.

I listened until circa 7:45 before other things took over. Heard a really good interview with Alan Hardy as part of it, talking about many things, including how towards the end of his tenure both he and his kids were spat at in the street. It's a good panel of people including Keiran Maguire (Price of Football), guy from Noth the Top 20 podcast and Mark Palios who now runs Tranmere. Just listening to some of the numbers particularly involving the Championship are quite scary.

The one that got me most was that the average Championship player's wage is £16,000 per week. However if a Championship club wants to 'break even' across the season then they would need to pay every player £5,000 per week.

If this sort of thing interests you this really is worth 2hrs of your time for a listen and may even raise questions or thoughts about how (well?) we are being run and whether we are, or aren't in a good position.

I‘ve friends that are Notts fans and have worked for the club. I don’t condone abuse to anyone and especially not spitting. But some of the stories about him and his tenure at the club they tell would make your toes curl. He also still walked about in full Notts tracksuit around the city even during the last few days. The blokes unbelievable.

Can I ask - and this isn’t a dig, a serious question- why do you hope we ‘level out’ at 5/6 thousand?

Last Saturday on Soccer Saturday, Peterborough got a lot of PR for buying a thousand pound worth of food to give to the local food bank.

For me if you are using the food bank you wouldn’t worry if your milk came from a shop at 50p or an extra posh shop at 75p.

So where did Peterborough spend the 1k for the food bank? M&S, while they could of probably of bought an extra 35-40% if they had gone to somewhere like Lidl’s or Aldi for the same money, in a weird sort of way this epitomises the stupidity at times of football finances.