Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 50 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

BBC has run a survey on how the season should end:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52282288

6 options. Top came void the season, on 39%. Next was finish season whatever on 28%. Everything else was 12% or lower.

Seems the fans have got a grasp on things. None of the pundits in that article went for void the season, although one or two conceded it was possible and might come to that.

That's the season that was. It's over, let it go... (apologies to TW3).

This probably says it all really, Germany easing restrictions but many things, including large gatherings, are out until at least the end of Aug.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52299358

Bearing in mind they have far less deaths, (1/4) of what we've had.

Large public gatherings including religious services will remain banned until 31 August. Bars, cafes, restaurants, cinemas and music venues will all remain closed.

So it is behind closed doors, or it is done and unless something changes re social distancing, it is done anyway.

UEFA talking head is convinced that all football will have to resume behind closed doors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52291542

Out of touch, by a mile. That UEFA bod has no clout anyway.

I can't see the Gov allowing one set of rules for football and another for everybody else. First priority will be allowing more businesses to open open while maintaining social distancing. Don't think football can do that. They can't allow footballers a freedom which is denied to the general public.

Behind closed doors feels so safe. But what about:
the 25 player squad, with say 5 to 8 coaches
referee, assistant and 4th official
the manager and assistant
the medical staff and trainers
the chef/s to cook the pre-match meal
the ball boys in the stadium to retrieve the balls
the cleaners for the changing rooms,
the security men inside/ outside the ground
the bus driver
the tv camera crew
everyone else I haven't thought of who would be essential

All of the above have families. So the community required to play games behind closed doors is a large one. Not to mention the fans drawn to the ground despite no chance of getting in. What happens when one player/ support worker contracts and spreads the virus. One team loses a few players....do they carry on with the mini league then, knowing that one team is considerably weaker?

How is this meant to work?

What happens when one player/ support worker contracts and spreads the virus. One team loses a few players....do they carry on with the mini league then, knowing that one team is considerably weaker?

You are onto something here.

So. What we do is basically sacrifice Jack by infecting him with Corona. As he is such a sociable, clearly popular chap amongst the football community and will probably break any rules anyway, we send him around our relegation rivals key players for party time. Thereby infecting them by the undoubted sharing of hippy crack from balloons. Thus rendering our rival teams weakened for the relegation run in.

the bus driver
the tv camera crew

All of the above have families. So the community required to play games behind closed doors is a large one. Not to mention the fans drawn to the ground despite no chance of getting in. What happens when one player/ support worker contracts and spreads the virus. One team loses a few players....do they carry on with the mini league then, knowing that one team is considerably weaker?

I read that for a Prem game to take place there have to be a minimum of 240 people present.

the bus driver
the tv camera crew

You beat me to it with regard to the squads and medical people, pyhsios coaches and managers etc.
They are all in the dressing room together as are the opposition, in their dressing room.
I am wondering what the situation would be if a number of players from one side or the other said that the risks were to great and refused to put themselves in a situation where they could catch this virus and carry it home to their families.
Seems like a non starter given all the possible complications.

What a horrible thought watching Villa play in season (and club future) defining games on some generic training ground with only the shouts of players and officials to be heard.
And possibly worse Sky and the media making it out to be anything but the complete fake and sham it is.
As the days go on I hate the idea more and more . I would prefer the season voided and I was very anti that idea 4 weeks ago.

One of the reasons, (the main reason?) given for continuing is the loss of the TV money and the need to pay it back. Is this realty though? If Sky and others forced the issue then either they risk bankrupting some clubs on which their future revenues depend and/ or they force the premier league to consider selling the games themselves, with their own organisation/ channel, thereby cutting out the tv companies completely. I remember Simon Jordan offering this idea before Christmas and saying how much more the league would earn from it without losing so much of the revenue that teams generate to the TV companies.

Faced with that prospect, will the TV companies be so keen to hammer the PL?

What a horrible thought watching Villa play in season (and club future) defining games on some generic training ground with only the shouts of players and officials to be heard.
And possibly worse Sky and the media making it out to be anything but the complete fake and sham it is.
As the days go on I hate the idea more and more . I would prefer the season voided and I was very anti that idea 4 weeks ago.

I f only you were a visionary like me . :whist:

One of the reasons, (the main reason?) given for continuing is the loss of the TV money and the need to pay it back. Is this realty though? If Sky and others forced the issue then either they risk bankrupting some clubs on which their future revenues depend and/ or they force the premier league to consider selling the games themselves, with their own organisation/ channel, thereby cutting out the tv companies completely. I remember Simon Jordan offering this idea before Christmas and saying how much more the league would earn from it without losing so much of the revenue that teams generate to the TV companies.

Faced with that prospect, will the TV companies be so keen to hammer the PL?
It is already being looked at.

I dont think we should be worried about this season being finished behind closed doors, because that's not realistic.

A very realistic and likely possibility is that next season is delayed until probably late September at the earliest and played behind closed doors.

We some professor has said social distancing will have to continue until a vaccine has been found which sound right to me, so there won't be any crowds anywhere.
Football without fans is pointless?

It is being reported by CNN that large gatherings of people will not be allowed until 2021 in US cities. If we follow suite that will kill football.