Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 17 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

A scrapped season might be a repreive from the relegation trap door for us but it could potentially cost thousands of people employed at lower level clubs their jobs due to lost revenue. Clubs fighting for financial survival could be tipped over the edge and out of business. Fans of those clubs will see their team disappear forever. Unless Sky and the FA are prepared to meet the shortfall of lost revenue to those clubs (which will run into millions), then the season needs to be completed properly and promotions and relegations decided the correct way by playing the remaining fixtures - even if it takes us into late June or July, and then after a 2 month gap start the new season in say, September. No international breaks of 2 weeks - just allow the leagues to take priority. A club as big as Villa will never feel the burden these smaller clubs have to deal with, but we owe it to these clubs to do the right thing by them, they are every bit as important to their fans as Villa is to us. As the saying goes - "There but for the grace of God go I" It would be an absolute travesty for English football if we suddenly had 10 or 15 clubs go bust and thousands of jobs lost.

Yep. No need to cancel this season . It can be completed at some stage. And it will be.

A scrapped season might be a repreive from the relegation trap door for us but it could potentially cost thousands of people employed at lower level clubs their jobs due to lost revenue. Clubs fighting for financial survival could be tipped over the edge and out of business. Fans of those clubs will see their team disappear forever. Unless Sky and the FA are prepared to meet the shortfall of lost revenue to those clubs (which will run into millions), then the season needs to be completed properly and promotions and relegations decided the correct way by playing the remaining fixtures - even if it takes us into late June or July, and then after a 2 month gap start the new season in say, September. No international breaks of 2 weeks - just allow the leagues to take priority. A club as big as Villa will never feel the burden these smaller clubs have to deal with, but we owe it to these clubs to do the right thing by them, they are every bit as important to their fans as Villa is to us. As the saying goes - "There but for the grace of God go I" It would be an absolute travesty for English football if we suddenly had 10 or 15 clubs go bust and thousands of jobs lost.

I don't reckon finishing the season is relevant. As soon as the emergency is over (which is absolutely unpredictable) then football can start again, and that can be anything from finishing the season to scrapping it and starting next season afresh. It's being able to play again which is critical, especially for the clubs which rely on gate money to keep going. Make a sensible decision when football becomes possible.

After this pause whenever that is , players and management will need a mini pre-season to get match fit I'd say 2 weeks minimum

After this pause whenever that is , players and management will need a mini pre-season to get match fit I'd say 2 weeks minimum

I disagree. They should've taken a week off yes. But this is still work time for them, I don't see an excuse and given under age group games/local BCD friendlies. Any player not raring to go and get it right doesn't start the first game (I don't mean in the sense of crunching tackles, but you can still be sharp, bright and competitive).

I know it's not the same thing but when we have server issues (like every online website), I don't take the day off, I'm putting in the work to get ahead of myself.

Short of players isolating (who should still be training to a baseline), I don't see an excuse or a requirement for a mini pre-season.

And McP - the season can't be cancelled....domestic should finally rule and even if that means UEFA temporarily abort their European bollocks, this year has to finish and next season needs to start as close to normal start date as possible.

Make this year null and void and end of season payments will not be made from sponsors, or broadcasters etc and that really will kill clubs. If anything, the FA should be working on 'commercial partners' fronting up cash to help tide clubs over on the promise, by hook or by crook, the season comes to a natural end.

If the season is aborted then I reckon the broadcasters etc should pay a proportion reflecting the number of games which have been played. Or something like that. It's in everybody's interest to come to a reasonable deal.

If the return to football takes too long, then the case for aborting this season becomes stronger and stronger. Nothing can really be decided until we have that start date.

A factor is the transfer window. Does it get moved until beyond the delayed end of season, e.g. December if the season finishes in November. There are huge implications in that.

And McP - the season can't be cancelled....domestic should finally rule and even if that means UEFA temporarily abort their European bollocks, this year has to finish and next season needs to start as close to normal start date as possible.

This.

As much as I would accept any help in staying up (good God we need help aswell!) the notion of cancelling or convoluted play offs is more than tinged with claret and blue specs or hatred of all things Liverpool.

As I have said. There is absolutely no reason why the season cannot be finished and everything else delayed/adjusted to suit this season finishing.

Very disappointed in UEFA setting a firm date for euro 2020 . They shouldn't and didn't need to do that yet. Next summer should be kept free to use to accommodate any delay in starting season 2020/21.

It's really not complicated in my humble. People are over complicating to suit an agenda .

Perhaps after some cold turkey people will start to realise football is not important at the moment, we just have to see how things go in the next few months.
All the if's and but's are irrelevant at this moment in time as is the date of April 4th which is what two weeks away, we'll still be killing each other over bog rolls by then not playing football

I’m getting fed up hearing about poor old Liverpool and Leeds. It’s the clubs in the lower divisions that will suffer the most, gate receipts are still critical to them unlike PL teams. I don’t get the thinking that we all lose TV money as Sky and BT will still have to pay up for what they have shown so far. It will be interesting to see if the PL is prepared to cover the losses of the lower leagues. The way Simon Jordan explained it all yesterday it would be very easy for the PL to swallow the these costs to ensure they all survive, not so confident myself that the greed of some won’t prevent it.

Perhaps after some cold turkey people will start to realise football is not important at the moment, we just have to see how things go in the next few months.
All the if's and but's are irrelevant at this moment in time as is the date of April 4th which is what two weeks away, we'll still be killing each other over bog rolls by then not playing football

My wife says I have been far more relaxed over the last few days lol.

I’m getting fed up hearing about poor old Liverpool and Leeds. It’s the clubs in the lower divisions that will suffer the most, gate receipts are still critical to them unlike PL teams. I don’t get the thinking that we all lose TV money as Sky and BT will still have to pay up for what they have shown so far. It will be interesting to see if the PL is prepared to cover the losses of the lower leagues. The way Simon Jordan explained it all yesterday it would be very easy for the PL to swallow the these costs to ensure they all survive, not so confident myself that the greed of some won’t prevent it.

Apparently the PL have £1.6 billion in reserves. Wouldn't be a problem to them to prop up the clubs that need help.

This.

As much as I would accept any help in staying up (good God we need help aswell!) the notion of cancelling or convoluted play offs is more than tinged with claret and blue specs or hatred of all things Liverpool.

As I have said. There is absolutely no reason why the season cannot be finished and everything else delayed/adjusted to suit this season finishing.

Very disappointed in UEFA setting a firm date for euro 2020 . They shouldn't and didn't need to do that yet. Next summer should be kept free to use to accommodate any delay in starting season 2020/21.

It's really not complicated in my humble. People are over complicating to suit an agenda .
This.

Sound logic Melon but the Elephant in the room is Coronavirus. Esteemed Epidemiologists appear to disagree about which way(s) this virus will develop. No one knows,so we must be patient. The dangers include financial melt down through many levels of football and the demise of some fine, traditional clubs.

Was speaking with (name drop mode on) Dennis Mortimer today, he said playing behind closed doors shouldn't affect the players, it didn't them when they played their European game in those circumstances.

Who knows what will happen, for me, this season should be completed before any new season is started.

Well if this season doesn't restart until September , we could possibly have Wesley and Heaton back fit.

'57 will be delighted.

This.

Don't know if that was aimed at me, MD. If so it's not true. I am not looking for a get out of jail card for Villa.

Fact. We have absolutely no idea of when football will be allowed back. If it comes back at a point which allows the season to be completed with acceptable levels of disruption, fine. But it may not.

I find myself having more distain for football and its self importance in a time when so many people are being affected and yet to be with this unprecedented event, at a time like this with so many worried elderly folk I find the thought of the greed league and its disgustingly overpaid individuals repulsive.