Football could learn so much from Lions v All Blacks | Vital Football

Football could learn so much from Lions v All Blacks

Jimmy Gordon

Vital Football Legend
It's sheer class how the players and coaches in this react to ref decisions and show respect to refs and the opposition during and after the game with what they say and do

Despite giving 110 per cent to win throughout

And then the shit theatricals, behaviour and post game interviews we see week in week out from footballers and managers?

Embarrassing to see the difference really

Give Rugby the same constant exposure as football (please god no) and it would be the same.

And the players won't change unless the fans change and it's a cultural class things- the working class origins of football has created a culture markedly different from the middle class roots of rugby.

Pope John XXIII - 8/7/2017 10:59

Give Rugby the same constant exposure as football (please god no) and it would be the same.

And the players won't change unless the fans change and it's a cultural class things- the working class origins of football has created a culture markedly different from the middle class roots of rugby.

Utter shit mate, rugby has constant exposure with super rugby, constant tours, tri nations etc

Money has ruined football, if you look at footballers of 40/50/60s they didn't surround the refs and swear and abuse him

Modern footballers have zero respect for the officials from day one, rugby players from
Day one respect the ref.

Rugby works hard to maintain its discipline and it is very hard on people who break the rules with post game citings...the fa take 6 months to act on anything

After all that; three tests, first time in 12 years they've toured NZ and it ends in a draw.

Both captains holding the trophy together at the end.

Absolute pony.

Southern red - 8/7/2017 11:36

Utter shit mate, rugby has constant exposure with super rugby, constant tours, tri nations etc

Money has ruined football, if you look at footballers of 40/50/60s they didn't surround the refs and swear and abuse him

Modern footballers have zero respect for the officials from day one, rugby players from
Day one respect the ref.

Rugby works hard to maintain its discipline and it is very hard on people who break the rules with post game citings...the fa take 6 months to act on anything

Rugby doesn't get anything like the exposure football does, and I can't believe anyone would argue with that. Rugby gets exposure but nothing like the same amount.

The level of exposure and the amount of money are interlinked.

And you have completely ignored my central point.

Go to any white working class school and see how the dad's tend to act at their kid's football matches and you'll understand how those same kids react later on if they make it

It's accepted in football that you show neither the refs nor the game itself any respect

Get away with whatever you can etc and then the manager pretends he never saw it after the game

Would be easy to change if those in charge of the game had the will to change

The professional game sets a shocking example for the rest to follow

The Football and Rugby stereotypes have changed markedly over the last 25 years,

Rugby's wider appeal was the direct result of professionalism and Football has become more middle class, particularly in the PL, because of its perceived trendiness and cost of watching the sport.

I'm not sure its the fans who influence the players behaviour either; I would be more inclined to blame the managers.

BC would never have stood for players chasing a referee round the pitch; look at Roy Keane's behaviour, for example, when he was with us and what he turned out like when he played for Fergusson.

Southern red - 8/7/2017 14:17

So no white working class kids ever play rugby?

Look at where the majority of Pro Rugby players come from compared to pro football players.

I've worked in three schools. One was deeply middle class and a wealthy area. Everything was about Rugby.

Another was white working class, quite rough in places and a deprived area. Rugby wasn't even on the radar, it was all football.

I have never personally met a working class person who chose rugby over football, although they must exist. I have never taught a lad I would class as working class who was aiming to be a pro rugby player

Football disproportionately draws in the working class just as rugby disproportionately draws in the middle class.

Cheers chaps I have my favourite Monday's song in my head now...Judge Fudge.I think its the word exposure that caused it for me so cheers Pope.

Sorry Pope, I played Rugby for years and the big difference is that from day 1 I was told to always call the referee sir and never argue the decision. I take my grandson to football most Saturday's and i get sick of parents and some grandparents spend most of their time trying to referee the games from the side line and arguing the toss every 2 minutes. I have refereed Rugby and Hockey and I can say without fear of contradiction that even if I made a naff call, NO decision was ever questioned.

In the last minute of the last test match with the scores level the made a decision and then questioned himself and called for the TMO. NOT ONE PLAYER ranted at the referee, NOT ONE PLAYER ranted when he changed his decision. Imagine that on a Sunday league game let alone the premier league.

I went to a Grammar School and Football was the main sport in the Winter with cricket in the summer. I played Rugby on a Saturday morning and went to Football in the afternoon.

Widdow - 8/7/2017 10:47

Should of finished with a pentaly shoot out
Like your thinking...a penalty shootout that we would be expected to win for a change!

Jimmy a got a point. The behaviour of most footballers is pretty appalling and embarrassing. If there was the will you could easily change it though. Like Rugby, they just need to mike up the officials and give a two match ban to anyone other than the captain that questions the ref. It would be carnage for the first couple of weeks, but it would cut it out completely after that as managers would absolutely not want their best players missing game after game.
Do the same for the cheating and the game would be a hell of a lot better. Unfortunately there isn't the will.

forestfaninvegas - 8/7/2017 17:49

Sorry Pope, I played Rugby for years and the big difference is that from day 1 I was told to always call the referee sir and never argue the decision. I take my grandson to football most Saturday's and i get sick of parents and some grandparents spend most of their time trying to referee the games from the side line and arguing the toss every 2 minutes. I have refereed Rugby and Hockey and I can say without fear of contradiction that even if I made a naff call, NO decision was ever questioned.

In the last minute of the last test match with the scores level the made a decision and then questioned himself and called for the TMO. NOT ONE PLAYER ranted at the referee, NOT ONE PLAYER ranted when he changed his decision. Imagine that on a Sunday league game let alone the premier league.

I went to a Grammar School and Football was the main sport in the Winter with cricket in the summer. I played Rugby on a Saturday morning and went to Football in the afternoon.
:15: You eggchaser! Agree though that it is installed at an early age to accept the ref's decision.However it is hard to know all the rules so fair play to you for refereeing rugby!

Jimmy Gordon - 8/7/2017 16:30

What's it like in rugby league as that's more working class than football?

I'm well placed to answer that Jimmy as Rugby League is the game of choice on the Oz East coast, football a bit down the list together with AFL.
It's a great game to watch but no place for light weights. Unfortunately too many of the players tend to get pulled up by the Police for all sorts of offences and much of it relates to drunken problems, betting on games and individual performances, DUI, and a load of other stupid offences. Giving the impression that too many of the players are overpaid idiots. At the moment there's an internal enquiry into all sorts of problems involving players, no solution in sight. On the field though the ref rules pretty well all things considered. We don't seem to see the sort of silly stuff seen in your football matches. Crowds in general are well behaved, not always but mostly.
Rugby Union seems to be the same here as with you, well behaved in general and the ref getting that sort of response.
Wish I could say the same about our football. These days I watch a lot of amateur games and the behavour of fans at times is pretty poor no matter how young the players. And beer is one of the problems. A strong ref usually does a good job and will not put up with some of the usual crap. A younger bloke or a learner has a hell of a job at times, partly due to crowd pressure and also players giving him hell. A couple of years ago one of my grandsons, age 17, fancied his hand at reffing, he lasted 3 months, couldn't stand all the agro.
Refs in the pro games seem to do reasonably well although there's a certain amount of player nonsense. Crowds in general are not too bad, local derbies sometimes getting a bit heavy either before or after a game. But not so bad as you seem to get some times in U.K.