Folkestone away friendly. | Vital Football

Folkestone away friendly.

On the other hand, there are those that are not getting competitive games and could be called up as pressure mounts on the squad.

Just don't want some nl upstart trying to prove a point. We have lost good players to that over recent years in "friendlies"

I'm planning to go - last time I went there they had Gadds on in the clubhouse, so hopefully that will warm up the old cockles!

Time to give Wilko a full match workout. Eaves is one yellow away from a two match ban. At least for part perhaps a slightly out of sorts Parker could be paired with him?

I guess it was a good work out, but difficult to read too much in to it as Folkestone look down way below our standard (as I guess you'd expect) and the pitch and conditions weren't great. Most of the positive signs were as youd expect and I'm not sure any one who played will be threatening the first team any time soon, other than maybe Wagstaff, Ogilvie and List, but barring injuries, they are there or thereabouts anyway. Moussa was one of the big positives -looked composed, good in possession a seems to have decent pace. Hadler also had a very tidy game and looked composed with catches, kicking, distribution and through balls - I turned up 10-15 mins I so missed Folkestone's goal so can't comment.

Other performances of note. Wilkinson looked good in the first half - too good for Folkestone scored a good goal and got a lucky deflected second, but seemed to get pushed out much wider in the second half and looked less effective. He had a few decent chances - close range header, one on one and a penalty and missed them all. Nash really didn't threaten a lot, ditto Nassieri nor Rees whatshisname - can't see any of them breaking the first team squad on that showing any time soon, but Moussa probably, I'd say.

It looked like SL wasn't there and the team was coached by Coxie and Patto. The difference in quality between then two sides was marked - the likes of Wagstaff, list, even Wilkinson and Nash looked lightening on occasions compared to Folkestone.

Thanks for the report ST. What did you think of Murphy ? I ask because, as Phil points out, Eaves will likely have to miss one or two games before long and we`ll need to replace him up front. I dare say there are some who might suggest Murphy is preferred over Wilko as deputy.

Lancs - not a lot on that showing. He looked on the big (in a hefty sense) side, so maybe he needs to get fitter, but didn't cause a lot of problems for the Folkestone defence who, as I say, were a long way below our level, bar one nicely timed through ball to Nash who cocked up a one-on-one - he didn't look particularly dangerous either. List looked lightening against Folkestone, as you'd expect. However, what impressed me most was that he appears to have bulked and strengthened up as did not seem fazed by some hefty challenges, a hard bobbly pitch and freezing conditions. Wagstaff had a very good first half shift, as you'd expect, and really put himself about and showed enthusiasm (including balling at the linesman, ref, team mates and opponents, which I like!) He was taken off at half time, which I hope was a sign that he'll feature on Saturday rather than that he's injured yet again.

Wilkinson looked good in the first half, but it's hard to say how good given the quality of opponent. He scored one decent goal, scored a second which was a speculative 20 yard shot that should have been passed to Nash (I think) who was through on goal, but instead deflected wickedly leaving the keeper helpless. He had plenty of other chances, which I suppose is good that he got in the positions, but missed some good ones, including a generously awarded penalty, which is less good.

In short, if Eaves is suspended, I would be worried and would probably, on the face of it, prefer a change of formation, maybe a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 with the likes of List/Wagstaff/Martin pushing on.

Thanks ST, a bit worrying that there appears to be no natural substitute for Eaves at this time. Past games suggest that SL will opt for Wilko, though recent performances suggest that List should be a serious contender. Back at Peterborough, which was the start of the "turn-around", Parker and List worked very well together as an attacking pair.

I did see on Twitter someone say that Wagstaff limped off at half time, implying he could be injured again.