Fleetwood match thread. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Fleetwood match thread.

picking up points at Fleetwood is a good measure of where we are at just now. Win at home and draw away are the signs of a decent side. Big Xmas coming up. Do well and we could be looking upwards and not downwards this season.

Exciting times

Certainly a good point, but think of Accrington supporters after their team put an end to a Portsmouth ten match unbeaten run by 4-1!

Fleetwood - one of the poorest places in the UK not helped by a low catchment area with Blackpool, Fylde and Preston all nearby

Well earned point for a hard working Gills side in very windy conditions. Fleetwood can be pretty cold ordinarily, but the 40 mph+ biting wind coming off the Irish sea really made it a bitterly cold afternoon !

For most of the game Gills defended resolutely - that they conceded so many free kicks was a sign of their resolve but also, perhaps, a sign that the wind was simply far too strong for Fleetwood`s players, as they seemed unable to remain on their feet for any length of time :wagging:

Nothing too fancy today - the weather wasn`t conducive to free flowing football. But we did have our moments - none better then the passing move which set up Jakubiak to equalise for Gillingham. Having received the ball on the edge of the penalty area he delivered a delightful and calculated right footed in-swinger which beat the goalie and sailed into the far corner of the goal. Really nice play.

Fleetwood`s goal came during a period of decent home pressure. With Evans chasing, Tucker got to the ball first and instead of instantly getting rid of it he turned with it and Evans nicked it and passed it to the experienced Maddon who rarely misses from such close range 1-0 Fleetwood. I`m not wagging fingers though, Tucker made a couple of mistakes but I thought he still had a decent game in very tricky conditions. In fact our back four played well today. Ogilvie, in particular, was impressive and played with mature confidence.

Our midfield was OK but looked a tad lightweight if i`m honest. Maybe it was the weather, but IMO, Jones didn`t have a great game. O`Connor did a good job as did Lee but even with O`Keefe in the middle we lacked the presence of a busy, energetic, hustler type midfielder to press the opposition.

The three substitutions made late in the game changed our shape and added some vim to our middle. Leaving three at the back, Gills really did give it a go and from the eightieth minute onward we pressed and pressed, leading to the equaliser.

The presence of substitute Pringle in the middle made a difference. He`s so positive and busy, I don`t understand why he`s not managed to get a regular slot. Up front, Jakubiak`s goal apart, we were not particularly threatening. There`s still room for improvement.

Good result for the Gills - well done to the team and also to the management who made some bold substitutions at the right time.

MOM for me was Connor Ogilvie.

Well earned point for a hard working Gills side in very windy conditions. Fleetwood can be pretty cold ordinarily, but the 40 mph+ biting wind coming off the Irish sea really made it a bitterly cold afternoon !

For most of the game Gills defended resolutely - that they conceded so many free kicks was a sign of their resolve but also, perhaps, a sign that the wind was simply far too strong for Fleetwood`s players, as they seemed unable to remain on their feet for any length of time :wagging:

Nothing too fancy today - the weather wasn`t conducive to free flowing football. But we did have our moments - none better then the passing move which set up Jakubiak to equalise for Gillingham. Having received the ball on the edge of the penalty area he delivered a delightful and calculated right footed in-swinger which beat the goalie and sailed into the far corner of the goal. Really nice play.

Fleetwood`s goal came during a period of decent home pressure. With Evans chasing, Tucker got to the ball first and instead of instantly getting rid of it he turned with it and Evans nicked it and passed it to the experienced Maddon who rarely misses from such close range 1-0 Fleetwood. I`m not wagging fingers though, Tucker made a couple of mistakes but I thought he still had a decent game in very tricky conditions. In fact our back four played well today. Ogilvie, in particular, was impressive and played with mature confidence.

Our midfield was OK but looked a tad lightweight if i`m honest. Maybe it was the weather, but IMO, Jones didn`t have a great game. O`Connor did a good job as did Lee but even with O`Keefe in the middle we lacked the presence of a busy, energetic, hustler type midfielder to press the opposition.

The three substitutions made late in the game changed our shape and added some vim to our middle. Leaving three at the back, Gills really did give it a go and from the eightieth minute onward we pressed and pressed, leading to the equaliser.

The presence of substitute Pringle in the middle made a difference. He`s so positive and busy, I don`t understand why he`s not managed to get a regular slot. Up front, Jakubiak`s goal apart, we were not particularly threatening. There`s still room for improvement.

Good result for the Gills - well done to the team and also to the management who made some bold substitutions at the right time.

MOM for me was Connor Ogilvie.
Cheers for the report.
Pringle hasn’t been involved lately as he was sent off vs Wimbledon so received a suspension.
Prior to that his wife gave birth so he was excused from a couple of matches.
When he signed initially he was travelling some distance and was finding that hard, but he’s living more local to the club now.

Cheers for the report.
Pringle hasn’t been involved lately as he was sent off vs Wimbledon so received a suspension.
Prior to that his wife gave birth so he was excused from a couple of matches.
When he signed initially he was travelling some distance and was finding that hard, but he’s living more local to the club now.

That`s interesting, Lark, cheers. Hopefully we`ll see more of him, I suspect he could be a difference maker.

Big Xmas coming up. Do well and we could be looking upwards and not downwards this season.
Exciting times

I’ve been looking upward not downward all season. Even after the shaky start, from afar (and results-wise) we have always looked likely to be very mid-table rather than “just above the bottom 4”. From pretty much every report this season (barring 2 games) we have been very tough to break down or beat. As mentioned a lot, a bit of luck in 2 or 3 games and we could easily be top 10 now.

Well happy with that point at Fleetwood & shows our possible intentions in the new year, would be great if we could, at least push, for a top 6 place.

If we can maintain our home form over the next month I think us fans will definitely be dreaming of giving the Top 6 a scare come April.

Traditionally a non league team in Blackpool's shadow.

Not if you listen to Joey Barton 😁

Very happy with that point.

I was tired and asleep through most of it (son n daughter in law just gave birth to our first grandchild 👍). But woke up and checked the sores just after Fleetwood scored. Saw the 2 subs Evans made and thought blimey we are going all out now. Great equaliser then we went even more attacking!

What was our formation at the end? 3-4-3 maybe?

The ifollow commentators mentioned that it was a pity that the tv camera didn't have the same view , and couldn't capture the bend/curl in Jaku's goal.
Another 100% effort performance and I for one , wouldnt ask for anymore.
Our management team has transformed the team and long may it continue.
COYG !

The ifollow commentators mentioned that it was a pity that the tv camera didn't have the same view , and couldn't capture the bend/curl in Jaku's goal.
Another 100% effort performance and I for one , wouldnt ask for anymore.
Our management team has transformed the team and long may it continue.
COYG !

Gills fans had a great view of the angle and it was, indeed, a sublime placement by Jakubiak.

I’ve been looking upward not downward all season. Even after the shaky start, from afar (and results-wise) we have always looked likely to be very mid-table rather than “just above the bottom 4”. From pretty much every report this season (barring 2 games) we have been very tough to break down or beat. As mentioned a lot, a bit of luck in 2 or 3 games and we could easily be top 10 now.

If we can maintain our home form over the next month I think us fans will definitely be dreaming of giving the Top 6 a scare come April.

Not if you listen to Joey Barton 😁

Very happy with that point.

I was tired and asleep through most of it (son n daughter in law just gave birth to our first grandchild 👍). But woke up and checked the sores just after Fleetwood scored. Saw the 2 subs Evans made and thought blimey we are going all out now. Great equaliser then we went even more attacking!

What was our formation at the end? 3-4-3 maybe?

congratulations on the new addition to your family mate, let us know the name when you are ready x