Fleetwood (H) highlights | Vital Football

Fleetwood (H) highlights

God TJ was all at sea for their first big chance. Two of our players going for the same ball, acres of space behind, very slow recovery.

We look very vulnerable to the ball over the top.

First goal looks very tight but thought just offside. Second goal totally free header awful defending.
Looking at Scullys breakaway chance I noticed 6 Fleetwood players busting a gut to get back. Not another red and white shirted player anywhere in sight. Where
the hell we're they ? Scully only had one option which he tried unsuccessfully.

First goal looks very tight but thought just offside. Second goal totally free header awful defending.
Looking at Scullys breakaway chance I noticed 6 Fleetwood players busting a gut to get back. Not another red and white shirted player anywhere in sight. Where
Absolutely right on the Scully breakaway. Aren’t we supposed to be so much fitter than MApps team last year. Several of their players sprinted past our players who were ambling forward.

Absolutely right on the Scully breakaway. Aren’t we supposed to be so much fitter than MApps team last year. Several of their players sprinted past our players who were ambling forward.
I was wonder about that with about 10/15 minutes to go yesterday.

Emperor’s New Clothes. Every new regime talks about how unfit the squad was under their predecessor. Feels like a cop out to me - apparently Appleton is such a mug he’s been given a Championship job.

I noticed that yesterday, they seemed half a yard quicker. It wasn’t as though Lincoln we’re tired either as there was no evidence of the high press in the 2nd half. The high press must have got mixed up and should have read high balls !

Emperor’s New Clothes. Every new regime talks about how unfit the squad was under their predecessor. Feels like a cop out to me - apparently Appleton is such a mug he’s been given a Championship job.
If you can point me to a quote where that was said would be interested (I don't mean from posts on here)

God TJ was all at sea for their first big chance. Two of our players going for the same ball, acres of space behind, very slow recovery.

We look very vulnerable to the ball over the top.
That was patently obvious from the first five minutes of the season against Exeter, and is still the case. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen O'Connor in particular chasing a striker as he closes in on goal; that should never happen, the play should always be in front of the centre halves, not behind them.

That was patently obvious from the first five minutes of the season against Exeter, and is still the case. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen O'Connor in particular chasing a striker as he closes in on goal; that should never happen, the play should always be in front of the centre halves, not behind them.

Very true. I think Bradford fans commented that O'Connor was a solid centre back but very slow on the turn. Not sure therefore why he was a priority signing for our recruitment team, unless it was because he has no injury record.

He might be OK with a quick intelligent centre back or right back who could cover behind him, but Poole doesn't seem able to do that (especially as he is having his own form problems at present), and TJ physically struggles to cover for even himself this season.

It will interesting when (if) jackson and Walsh are fit whether they are given the chance to develope a pairing, with Poole moving to RB.

Very true. I think Bradford fans commented that O'Connor was a solid centre back but very slow on the turn. Not sure therefore why he was a priority signing for our recruitment team, unless it was because he has no injury record.

He might be OK with a quick intelligent centre back or right back who could cover behind him, but Poole doesn't seem able to do that (especially as he is having his own form problems at present), and TJ physically struggles to cover for even himself this season.

It will interesting when (if) jackson and Walsh are fit whether they are given the chance to develope a pairing, with Poole moving to RB.
I'm okay with O'Connor. He was a priority because he was affordable and does what we couldn't do last season which is compete in the air and compete physically, if Jackson is unfit. One of those with pace is a bit pricey, I imagine.

The bigger issue are the fullbacks. If you are a centre half you will need cover from your fullbacks.
There is something awry with TJ. If that's a temporary issue with fitness/illness or he just hasn't got the engine to play fullback I am not entirely sure.

If things don't change, I can see various possibilities when/if our centre backs get fit. Any of those 3 Walsh, Jackson or Montsma would strengthen our back four in some combination with O'Connor and Poole.

Left back wise. Roughan is not the finished article defensively by a long chalk and he was knackered after about half an hour. But he came out after the break and won a series of header before getting cramp.
I was encouraged by the way he stood up after half time. But he has a good deal to improve on before we can be confident he is a solid left back defensively. Attacking wise he is already easily good enough.

Not according to Oakley Booth, him and Scully had a long exchange of views after Scully's shot (although I completely agree with you, Scully had no options on at the time)

Roughan guilty of two errors on those highlights that would have seen Robson absolutely roasted by many people. Let's the ball drop over his head to the blond fullback who get's a shot away and then is guilty of letting his man run through while sticking his arm up appealing for offside for their first. Absolutely magic ball across the goal for our second though...

A more experienced LB probably follows the run of the goal scorer rather than play offside (even steps in front of him and 'bumps' him off).

Danny Andrew has a hell of a left foot on him, as soon as that free-kick was given, and also the angle it was at, I did fear the worst.