Fleetwood (A) highlights | Vital Football

Fleetwood (A) highlights

Goalscoring strikers can be very expensive. But boy do we need somebody who can finish. Due to the fact that there are 4 teams at the bottom who are woeful I think we will be safe just this season. But we have a huge problem in front of goal.

the irony is that Stockley isn’t really a goal scoring striker either

Not saying we want Stockley but we certainly need someone who can possibly hit a barn door from 5 yards. Only House gets anywhere near to that. And I think we are wasting him as a loan striker. If he had someone to play with up front I think we would see a lot more from him.

Goalscoring strikers can be very expensive. But boy do we need somebody who can finish. Due to the fact that there are 4 teams at the bottom who are woeful I think we will be safe just this season. But we have a huge problem in front of goal.

Bar the Mandroiu chance I don't think we were creating loads of gilt-edged stuff though? I think our xG was something like 1.38 so not unreasonable we scored one goal? I think there xG was nearer 2 and I don't think the difference between the sides was out and out finishing. Poole took his well but the difference IMO on Sat was not being clinical just basic defending of set pieces and Jackson losing Stockley.

If we were missing loads of chances it would be more obvious we were just missing a finisher. You might argue a finisher would get on the end of more stuff but I don't think we're flashing stuff across the 6 yard box all the time or anything. I think we almost need to create more or find ways to progress up the pitch more than a goalscorer?

I think we've scored at a similar rate to what we've created.

the irony is that Stockley isn’t really a goal scoring striker either
Exactly, which is why I'm a little surprised about some of the comments about him. He's a nuisance, don't get me wrong, but he's had probably three prolific seasons in his career (two before his move from Exeter) and in the main is a 5 goal a season kinda guy.

Bar the Mandroiu chance I don't think we were creating loads of gilt-edged stuff though? I think our xG was something like 1.38 so not unreasonable we scored one goal? I think there xG was nearer 2 and I don't think the difference between the sides was out and out finishing. Poole took his well but the difference IMO on Sat was not being clinical just basic defending of set pieces and Jackson losing Stockley.

If we were missing loads of chances it would be more obvious we were just missing a finisher. You might argue a finisher would get on the end of more stuff but I don't think we're flashing stuff across the 6 yard box all the time or anything. I think we almost need to create more or find ways to progress up the pitch more than a goalscorer?

I think we've scored at a similar rate to what we've created.

We are bottom or near bottom of nearly every League 1 table I have seen, so I don't think it's a finisher we are short of. For what it's worth I think House is a better finisher than Hopper was so is an upgrade in that sense.

Bu
We are bottom or near bottom of nearly every League 1 table I have seen, so I don't think it's a finisher we are short of. For what it's worth I think House is a better finisher than Hopper was so is an upgrade in that sense.

But not a better header.

Not saying we want Stockley but we certainly need someone who can possibly hit a barn door from 5 yards. Only House gets anywhere near to that. And I think we are wasting him as a loan striker. If he had someone to play with up front I think we would see a lot more from him.
Strikers that can score goals at any level really are the holy grail though. Just think that Plange was a million fee for potential, and Mo Eisa has cost plenty to be a 1 in 3 at L1 level. That's a couple off the top of my head and I wouldn't be surprised if there were plenty more whilst I thought about it - Ben Hutchinson anybody.

The flip side is there will be plenty of bargains out there who cost little or nothing in transfer fees and were very successful at any given level. I just find it scary that L1 clubs are in the lottery of shelling out 7 figures with virtually no confidence of a return for that amount of outlay.

Exactly, which is why I'm a little surprised about some of the comments about him. He's a nuisance, don't get me wrong, but he's had probably three prolific seasons in his career (two before his move from Exeter) and in the main is a 5 goal a season kinda guy.
You're not wrong.
Shame he seems to find the back of the net every time he plays against us.

He got 20 last season (13 in league)! I think they dried up when he jumped to the Championship but I think he's better than that gives credit for. Better than 1 in 3 for Charlton. Last 5 seasons goals scored:

17/18 L2: 25
18/19 L2: 16 + 4 in Championship
19/20 Championship: 4
20/21: L1 8 + 1 in Championship
21/22: L1 20

My hot take on Stockley is just that... he is decent. I think a bit like Doidge as a striker that can do a bit of everything there's no surprise he had Championship suitors as he scores a few goals, he's not slow so can work across the pitch, can compete in the air, run in behind occasionally, threat from crosses...

He might not score like Ronaldo but he's also not Tom Hopper in terms of goals, slowed down in the Championship but been pretty consistent otherwise.

Yeah, it's a big jump from L2 to the Championship and that probably hampered his goal scoring but he's only scored a handful of goals this season and for a rumoured £6k/week (be surprised if it was as much as that but I suppose why else would you move from Charlton to Fleetwood) you'd expect a better return from his Fleetwood spell so far.

As I say though, good player, just not someone I'd file under 'goal scorer'.