Saturday 5 September: Carabao Cup 1
Tuesday 8 September: EFL Trophy Group
Saturday 12 September: League One
Tuesday 15 September: Carabao Cup 2
Saturday 19 September: League One
Tuesday 22 September: Carabao Cup 3
Saturday 26 September: League One
Tuesday 29 September: Carabao Cup 4

Potentially 8 matches in the first 25 days if we reach the fourth round of the Carabao Cup, but only 5 in the first 30 days if we are knocked out in the first round.

Imagine trying to attend that lot under normal circumstances, would cost a fortune!

I guess it's on the basis that no fans will be allowed to attend matches in September but there seems to be a chance that some fans may be allowed to attend from October, and that the league matches are likely to be more attractive than cup matches for msot clubs. The Twenty20 Finals Day has been postponed until October for that reason.

I can't wait for the fixtures while it's going to be a little strange this year it doesn't take away the passion or the excitement of wanting to see our mighty imps have a great season.

It's something to actually look forward to and can takeaway the drone of the media and social media cyber warriors moaning, criticising or being downright divisive and depressive.

Bring it on and let's have something to look forward too.

Going to be great fun for us who struggle to get to midweek games - an increase from 4(?) to 11!
That's just league fixtures - including the Carabao and EFLT, we have a minimum of 15 midweek games. Is the FA Cup midweek as well? In that case, a minimum of 16 midweek games.

I wonder whether clubs will field even weaker sides in those cups in order to save legs for the intense league schedule? Does the schedule devalue cup competitions even further?

The more I think about this, the more convinced I am that teams with older players are going to struggle as the season progresses.

EDIT: Portsmouth played 16 cup matches last season (15, excluding the outstanding EFLT final). There are 35 weeks to this season (between 5 September and 8 May) - that would mean them playing on all 35 Saturdays plus 27 of the midweeks, and that excludes postponements. This is going to be some season!

Last edited:
They still haven’t played last seasons final yet.

Blimey I'd forgotten about that. Doesn't seem to feature on the schedules either. New competition starts in four weeks time. Could the final of one year be played after the competition starts the following one? How would that figure in with players having moved to one of the finalists and be cup-tied, possibly leading to the two finalists not being able to put a team out?? ( I know it's Pompey and Salford so them not finding enough players is unlikely)

They still haven’t played last seasons final yet.

Portsmouth are keen to have their day out at Wembley. Fans have mentioned once or twice :rolleyes: on social media that they've sold 50,000 tickets.
Would presumably be 2021 before this sort of crowd could attend; it would need various rule changes/waivers allowing both clubs to field players signed over the summer who might be cup-tied or would have been ineligible for the original date.

Am I alone in thinking that will be the end of FA cup replays for good?

Yep. "Big clubs" have wanted to scrap them for ages.
First we saw unlimited replays got rid of and changed to one reverse fixture replay then a 2nd neutral venue replay.
Then the 2nd replay was got rid of.
Then final replays got rid of, then semis, then quarter-finals.
Think last season saw 5th round replays scrapped.
Now we have all replays gone. Don't think they'll ever come back which would be a big shame as that's the prime attraction of the FA Cup - earning a replay with bumper crowds and loads of extra excitement (as well as much needed extra funds for the smaller clubs).
FA Cup on tv has also got quite pathetic with the pile of games moved to Sundays each with a tiny bit of tv coverage, completely ruining the excitement of FA Cup Saturdays.

So:

Saturday 5 September: Carabao Cup 1
Tuesday 8 September: EFL Trophy Group
Saturday 12 September: League One
Tuesday 15 September: Carabao Cup 2
Saturday 19 September: League One
Tuesday 22 September: Carabao Cup 3
Saturday 26 September: League One
Tuesday 29 September: Carabao Cup 4

Potentially 8 matches in the first 25 days if we reach the fourth round of the Carabao Cup, but only 5 in the first 30 days if we are knocked out in the first round.

That looks such an odd schedule.
Matches will be a lottery with clubs fielding all sorts of jumbled line ups.
Hard to see anything to look forward to.
Season will be all about firstly surviving as a club and secondly staying up.
We'll be lucky to have many or any fans at most games.

Seen a fixture release date of 21st August being mentioned.

I'm guessing the first half of the season will see shorter trips to minimise travelling. Can't see us being sent down to Plymouth, Swindon, Portsmouth etc on the opening day or in the earlier stages of the season.

I would be amazed if the EFL give that a second thought. Fixtures will be generated by software.

There are so many games for us which are over 200 mile round trip that it seems inevitable the league games will be the usual random selection of inconvenience at times.

What is of note that 11 (minimum) league games will be mid week so at least 5-6 away games mid week without any international postponements. Realistically I think we will be looking at around 15 mid week league games this season by the time we get to next May.