Fixture Release | Vital Football

Fixture Release

Luke Imp

Alert Team
Staff member
Seen a fixture release date of 21st August being mentioned.

I'm guessing the first half of the season will see shorter trips to minimise travelling. Can't see us being sent down to Plymouth, Swindon, Portsmouth etc on the opening day or in the earlier stages of the season.

I'm guessing the first half of the season will see shorter trips to minimise travelling. Can't see us being sent down to Plymouth, Swindon, Portsmouth etc on the opening day or in the earlier stages of the season.
Yes, although the local games would probably have attracted bigger gates under normal circumstances.

Why would you assume this logic? Some fans would welcome (within an unbalanced but competed season) the Plymouth home and away fixtures being completed by October if behind closed doors or with home fans only. In the 'early stages' are you inferring less travel for the convenience of teams (overnights/fatigue) or safety of away supporters. A local derby I suspect would not be welcome by the veto-police until a Covid vaccine or far more 'science' was available. At least the Xmas Market won't need to be factored into the December fixtures. I await to see if the league tell us of any underlying general logic in how the list is eventually generated and of course you can't please all the people all of the time

Last edited:
Anyone else feeling somewhat disinterested in an imminent fixtures list?
Normally I'd be looking within seconds of release. This time just seems so different.

As for away games, it has to make sense for several reasons to just forget any away fans anywhere for coming season.
It will give more of the greatly restricted capacity to the home fans and will also avoid piles of us all heading up and down motorways and sitting on trains etc, all pretty needless travel and all adding to our own danger and to that of others.
And with various areas going back into lockdown measures of differing degrees, it will also make any longer distance travel more awkward.

There could quite easily be a few postponements as well, even with no fans allowed how would a local lockdown affect a teams ability to host a fixture or travel away to one.

Anyone else feeling somewhat disinterested in an imminent fixtures list?
Normally I'd be looking within seconds of release. This time just seems so different.
No, I can't wait. It represents another significant step towards having some football to watch, our club to support, to seeing the new players in action, to seeing Michael Appleton's new style of play taking shape, to finding out which fixtures we may be able to watch in person, and most significantly to enabling our club to generate at least some revenue. All good.

There could quite easily be a few postponements as well, even with no fans allowed how would a local lockdown affect a teams ability to host a fixture or travel away to one.
already demonstrated by aberdeen. if there are lots of postponements everyone will have an eye on points per game.

Why would you assume this logic? Some fans would welcome (within an unbalanced but competed season) the Plymouth home and away fixtures being completed by October if behind closed doors or with home fans only. In the 'early stages' are you inferring less travel for the convenience of teams (overnights/fatigue) or safety of away supporters. A local derby I suspect would not be welcome by the veto-police until a Covid vaccine or far more 'science' was available. At least the Xmas Market won't need to be factored into the December fixtures. I await to see if the league tell us of any underlying general logic in how the list is eventually generated and of course you can't please all the people all of the time
I've not assumed anything, I was guessing. Partly because it reduces squads of players travelling all over the country (presumably, for the time being, over two or three busses). I'd suggest the less hotel stops would be the preference given the current circumstances.

or the opposite?

I'd venture that the opposite would be more likely in order to deter the majority of away fans from attending. All well and good to say that away fans cannot go, but I'd image a fair few would try to get to a match at Hull or Peterborough, but a days travel to Plymouth and Gillingham would be less enticing. Come the new year there could be a possibility of some supporters attending at that might include away. Big IF I accept

That said I'd have thought that the computer will just churn it out randomly

So:

Saturday 5 September: Carabao Cup 1
Tuesday 8 September: EFL Trophy Group
Saturday 12 September: League One
Tuesday 15 September: Carabao Cup 2
Saturday 19 September: League One
Tuesday 22 September: Carabao Cup 3
Saturday 26 September: League One
Tuesday 29 September: Carabao Cup 4

Potentially 8 matches in the first 25 days if we reach the fourth round of the Carabao Cup, but only 5 in the first 30 days if we are knocked out in the first round.

Fixtures being released Friday the 21st also. 3 weeks before kick off, but if no fans that's less of an issue I suppose

Really packing the Carabou Cup matches into the early season. Allows for clubs to make more changes to their starting line ups early doors I suppose

Interesting also to note that Leasing.com have ended their sponsorship of the EFL Trophy after just one season of the contracted three.

I also see that there will be no FA Cup replays at all in the coming season, and the Carabou Cup semi's will be one off games