Fisherman's Friends versus Uncle Joe's balls | Vital Football

Fisherman's Friends versus Uncle Joe's balls

Same line up as Tuesday leave Hughes out fit or not, the precedence has been set same again at Fleetwood and no tinkering for the sake of it.

Play like we did against the knuckle draggers and the points are in the bag.

Hopefully no 'derby night' hangover going into this game & it's a comfortable, no stress win.
Good title btw Cueball 👌

We need to keep on developing. Our skills, our style, our togetherness, our intensity, our creativity, our points total, everything.

They'll be fighting for their lives, so we have zero right to expect an easy win.

I'll go 2-0 to us, but it might not be easy.

As an aside, here's some essential advisable reading for some amongst us. 👀

Looking at Fleetwoods stats and they are really not having a good time;

On their third manager of the season with Charlie Adam and he's only managed 2 wins from 12.

Worst defence in the league.

Worst home form in the league.

Low scorers with only 36 goals in 35 games.

No wins in their last 5, only managing 3 draws with teams around them in the relegation places.

Struggle to take the lead or hold it.

So would it be typical of our season if we followed the excellent performance and result against high flying Bolton with a completely lackluster performance and result against struggling Fleetwood. Like we did with Exeter after the Peterborugh game.

Fleetwood are fighting for their life so shouldn't be short of fight, so if we are complacent or casual and don't show enough urgency or intensity then we'll get turned over like we did in other games we weren't up for it. But the reality is we are a much better side and if we turn up and match Fleetwood for effort and endeavor we'll win but if we will is the reason we've lost so many games to poor sides this season.

Their danager man is probably their top scorer and target man Jayden Stockley, he's had a big improvement in form since Adams arrived with 9 goal contributions in those 12 games. He scored twice from the bench to rescue a point in their last game, so i expect he'll be starting this time and full of confidence. We know that big target man have often been something we've struggled to deal with this season, so we'll need to counter that.

From our perspective it wouldn't at all shock me if we reverted back to wing backs with Hughes, Clare, Godo and Humphrys could bebrought into the starting line up at the expense of Smith, Kerr, McMannaman and Magennis. But for me personally I'd like to see us keep the back 4, Magennis up top as the target man and have Godo on the left and Humps on the right wing.

We need to keep on developing. Our skills, our style, our togetherness, our intensity, our creativity, our points total, everything.

They'll be fighting for their lives, so we have zero right to expect an easy win.

I'll go 2-0 to us, but it might not be easy.

As an aside, here's some essential advisable reading for some amongst us. 👀

The delay pass 'foot on the ball' fad that a lot of people aren't keen on is something that's trickling down from the Prem. I read an article about it a while ago.

It's worth reading for anyone who wants to understand the logic to it. If we do it very well is a different matter.

I remember earlier this season, and also last season, there were times where we'd be in a mid-block and disciplined for the first 30 mins. But after the crowd got increasingly frustrated someone (Lang, Power etc.) would just give up and go and start trying to press high up. The second this happened you could see oppositions would switch on and start playing the quick passes through the space our press left behind. It's all well and good wanting us to press high, win the ball back, and turn it into a goal scoring chance, but it's high risk high reward, and the risk is that good teams will play through our midfield which isn't exactly imposing, and get to our CB's who aren't exactly lightning paced.

The flip side is that we do want to counter-attack. We have very good ball playing CB's to launch an attack again a high press (coupled with Kerr's ability to step forward into space, and this is something Hughes can easily develop), we have midfielders who can move the ball quickly and change the point of attack, and in Humps, Godo, Thelo and JJ, we have attackers who can do real damage in 1v1 situations.

The game has definitely moved on from either pressing high and parking the bus, it needs us to be adaptable and disciplined, and also to get a sense of what the other team are looking to do, and then working out how to get our attackers into 1v1 situations rather than 1v2 situations where we'll have to move the ball back and out into space somewhere else.

Couldn’t join the physical queue for tickets due to the ongoing debacle so it’ll be interesting to read the views of those who do go. Should be a cracking atmosphere and good day out for those lucky enough to get tickets.

I’m expecting a very difficult game. They fought from two down midweek to snatch an injury time point which tells me they are fighting and won’t yield easily. If it was the reverse of Tuesday with us having the majority of possession yet they won I wouldn’t be surprised.

Can't see that cos of the firewall KDZ, but it's summat new, changes the way the game's played, and is a skill that needs to be practised and developed before players get proficient.

Give me two mins, and I'll come back with summat that surprised me ...

Found it ... I've seen this Greavesie goal loads of times, but I don't recall ever seeing the build up before. Tippy tappy back four shite back then ?!

I think the opposition is Utd, with Bestie and Nobby Stiles.

We have to treat Fleetwood with the same 'mind-set'
we had for the Bolton game, we cannot 'take it for granted'
this game will be easy, as this has 'back-fired' on us against teams ' below us'.

Last edited:
Can't see that cos of the firewall KDZ, but it's summat new, changes the way the game's played, and is a skill that needs to be practised and developed before players get proficient.

Give me two mins, and I'll come back with summat that surprised me ...

I found this which is basically the article explained as a video. I found it interesting as it does give you an insight into what we are probably trying to do.

Long story short is it's trying to bait a press and open up space that you can quickly play though if you are smart enough. I think our issue is often the movement isn't there from both 2 def mids to exploit the gap against the lesser sides, but we do it in the bigger games.

I remember earlier this season, and also last season, there were times where we'd be in a mid-block and disciplined for the first 30 mins. But after the crowd got increasingly frustrated someone (Lang, Power etc.) would just give up and go and start trying to press high up. The second this happened you could see oppositions would switch on and start playing the quick passes through the space our press left behind. It's all well and good wanting us to press high, win the ball back, and turn it into a goal scoring chance, but it's high risk high reward, and the risk is that good teams will play through our midfield which isn't exactly imposing, and get to our CB's who aren't exactly lightning paced.

The flip side is that we do want to counter-attack. We have very good ball playing CB's to launch an attack again a high press (coupled with Kerr's ability to step forward into space, and this is something Hughes can easily develop), we have midfielders who can move the ball quickly and change the point of attack, and in Humps, Godo, Thelo and JJ, we have attackers who can do real damage in 1v1 situations.

The game has definitely moved on from either pressing high and parking the bus, it needs us to be adaptable and disciplined, and also to get a sense of what the other team are looking to do, and then working out how to get our attackers into 1v1 situations rather than 1v2 situations where we'll have to move the ball back and out into space somewhere else.

I think what you are saying about leaving space to play through is certainly the case in higher divisions where some teams have technically much better players, but in L1 where most of the time defenders aren't as confident or competent with the ball at their feet a good high press is still often very effective in forcing them into mistakes and turning over possession.

I'd say this season the better teams who were more likely to play through us are the ones that we've tended to press more aggressively and it's done well for us. Bolton and Peterbough away are the 2 that really stick out. We were very good at high pressing teams out of possession under Cook and Richardson in L1 as well.

The lesser sides who were less likely to play through us are the one's we've not pressed that hard or high and we've given them time and space and i think it's made their life easier, especially if they didn't have a good long ball option to bypass our press.

I think what you are pointing out is more when we aren't all working as a unit and 1 or 2 players go for the press and others don't it does create the gaps the opposition play through as you said. But if everyone knows their role in a press i think a lot of sides at this level will struggle against it. We certainly do when other teams press us high in numbers.

Looking at Fleetwoods stats and they are really not having a good time;

On their third manager of the season with Charlie Adam and he's only managed 2 wins from 12.

No wins in their last 5, only managing 3 draws with teams around them in the relegation places.

Struggle to take the lead or hold it.

So would it be typical of our season if we followed the excellent performance and result against high flying Bolton with a completely lackluster performance and result against struggling Fleetwood. Like we did with Exeter after the Peterborugh game.

Fleetwood are fighting for their life so shouldn't be short of fight, so if we are complacent or casual and don't show enough urgency or intensity then we'll get turned over like we did in other games we weren't up for it. But the reality is we are a much better side and if we turn up and match Fleetwood for effort and endeavor we'll win but if we will is the reason we've lost so many games to poor sides this season.

Their danager man is probably their top scorer and target man Jayden Stockley, he's had a big improvement in form since Adams arrived with 9 goal contributions in those 12 games. He scored twice from the bench to rescue a point in their last game, so i expect he'll be starting this time and full of confidence. We know that big target man have often been something we've struggled to deal with this season, so we'll need to counter that.

From our perspective it wouldn't at all shock me if we reverted back to wing backs with Hughes, Clare, Godo and Humphrys could bebrought into the starting line up at the expense of Smith, Kerr, McMannaman and Magennis. But for me personally I'd like to see us keep the back 4, Magennis up top as the target man and have Godo on the left and Humps on the right wing.

Struggle to take the lead or hold it.....

Cheers KDZ.....now means a win nailed on for them cos that's what we do...I jest but it's normally what happens when there's stats like that. On a positive note, I'm going for an away win & hope to prove the last 2 stats wrong 😉

I found this which is basically the article explained as a video. I found it interesting as it does give you an insight into what we are probably trying to do.

Long story short is it's trying to bait a press and open up space that you can quickly play though if you are smart enough. I think our issue is often the movement isn't there from both 2 def mids to exploit the gap against the lesser sides, but we do it in the bigger games.
You can see that at times (not often enough maybe) we do it well ... but we're still developing.

When it's done well, it's great to watch, but each player needs to know their role and execute it well, otherwise it gets labelled as crap.

It’ll be another tough game tomorrow as they’re fighting to have any chance of survival. We should have enough quality but I can’t see it being pretty, we’ll need to mix it up rather than expecting to pass out from the back and play free flowing football.

Some recent interviews with the players (Kerr, Jones, M Smith, McManaman, Humphrys) have showed they clearly care about the club. It also highlights the ups and downs of being a footballer and how injuries and confidence play a big part. They can give it their all but if luck doesn’t go their way or they come up against an opponent who gets the better of them on the day then sometimes it just isn’t to be. As supporters I think we sometimes expect far too much and make things worse by getting on players backs. As Tuesday showed, if we get behind the team it can make a big difference. Hopefully we’ll see more of the same tomorrow and can have another good day out by the sea.

They'll be up for it, fighting for their lives, a completely different test to Tuesday night, we should win, but the attitude needs to be spot on. If we can start like we did at Shrewsbury (but take our chances, we should have been 2 up after 20 mins), we'll win comfortably, if not, it could well be an afternoon, where we need to dig in and earn the points