Financial Fair Play Explained | Page 12 | Vital Football

Financial Fair Play Explained

Should our new owners just pay the fine for FFP and get on with it?

• Yes

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters
Champions League, Adidas deal and new shirt sponsor will see us ok. I think even Europa League will do the job .
Like Tarzan said, we'd hardly buy Rogers if we were in such a difficult position but it does shine the light on players like Digne and DC, even Chambers. We can't carry players and we can't have high earners draining more resources than players who are their equals.

€138m losses seems shocking on the face of it, hopefully there’s a plan which isn’t just sell all of our best players… champions league is a gold mine but nowhere near enough to overturn a financial deficit that big

€138m losses seems shocking on the face of it, hopefully there’s a plan which isn’t just sell all of our best players… champions league is a gold mine but nowhere near enough to overturn a financial deficit that big
We don’t have to overturn the entirety of it to be sustainable in the eyes of these rules. All told depending on how deep you can get into the competition and how much extra the gate receipts are and additional better paying sponsors are. There is an argument to say it you’d wipe out 75-80% if you did really well. Getting past the group stage might take out 40-50% of it.

I’d suggest replacing Ramsey with a £10m punt from the Championship is not the smartest move if we want to keep competing each season. Although granted Ramsey’s form has been well below that of the last 2 seasons, he’s still a much more proven player than Rogers.

I don’t have any idea of our financial situation but we can’t sell players for £50-£70m and replace them with £10m players and still expect to compete, it’s madness. We have to replace with like for like.

I’d suggest replacing Ramsey with a £10m punt from the Championship is not the smartest move

You're right. It's a crazy move. But if our finances are as bad as those graphs and charts make out I'm not sure we'd have much alternative than selling Ramsey, Luiz, Ollie or Emi.

So when people question the investment in Rogers could that be the reason?

Just a thought.

We don’t have to overturn the entirety of it to be sustainable in the eyes of these rules. All told depending on how deep you can get into the competition and how much extra the gate receipts are and additional better paying sponsors are. There is an argument to say it you’d wipe out 75-80% if you did really well. Getting past the group stage might take out 40-50% of it.
But as someone else has said if the losses are £105m over 3 years or whatever it is, we now need to make a profit for this season for the first time in forever in order to keep within the rolling 3 year limits. Hopefully there’s some kind of anomaly from last seasons accounts which makes it much worse than “normal”, it really does seem concerning I doubt the club will comment but they should do to clarify the situation to fans.

Maybe that's were the rumour has come from with Watkins going to Arsenal? Plus that could be the reasoning behind the North stand redevelopment being scrapped?

You're right. It's a crazy move. But if our finances are as bad as those graphs and charts make out I'm not sure we'd have much alternative than selling Ramsey, Luiz, Ollie or Emi.

So when people question the investment in Rogers could that be the reason?

Just a thought.
Dunno mate but if is true I’m worried. I think the rules are b*locks personally but we’ve obviously cocked up ourselves letting it come to this. Gerrard definitely made some questionable signings that’s for sure, Olsen, Carlos, Dendoncker and Coutinho were all put on silly money. Digne and Kamara too but they were good signings IMO.

I think out of those players you mention we’d have to sacrifice Ramsey, absolutely cannot let Emi, Dougie or Ollie go.

The following are all on £100K + per week: Martinez, Mings, Torres, Digne, Carlos, Kamara, Tielemans, McGinn, Bailey, Watkins, Diaby. I’ve heard Lenglet too but he’s on loan.

I’d argue Carlos isn’t worth that and Digne is probably a bit too high given his age. Tielemans probably isn’t worth it either or Diaby at this stage but we’ve just signed them and they could become important players. Unbelievably Dougie is only on £75K per week.

We pay a lot to our first team squad, unless we improve revenue we can’t afford to have players like Dendoncker on £90K and Olsen on £50K and players like Coutinho on £125K. We need to offload these players before we offload Ramsey who’s only on £70K. Unless we drastically need to raise funds but I don’t think we do, I think it’s about bringing the wage bill down. If we move these overpaid squad players on and replace with smart scouting signings like Kosta (the Serbian right back) who’s probably only on £10K if that then we’ll be fine.

Last edited:
Unless Rogers has been bought as a long term replacement for Ramsey?

Pay £8m now. Get £70m in the summer.
From a maths perspective it makes sense. Our squad isn't carrying much fat, so a single high profit sale makes the most sense if we need to cover a big chunk of deficit plus keep investing.

Dunno mate but if is true I’m worried. I think the rules are b*locks personally but we’ve obviously cocked up ourselves letting it come to this. Gerrard definitely made some questionable signings that’s for sure, Olsen, Carlos, Dendoncker and Coutinho were all put on silly money. Digne and Kamara too but they were good signings IMO.

I think out of those players you mention we’d have to sacrifice Ramsey, absolutely cannot let Emi, Dougie or Ollie go.
I don't think we've necessarily cocked up. We can squeak under the allowable losses if we make 1 or 2 high value sales, which could easily have been the plan all along.

We're not an established CL club with a global revenue base, so we can't just keep accruing Champions League quality players without expecting to sell.

Just to point out no one knows what the players earn , other than it is a lot.
From Aston Villa FC Limited Accounts:

Total wages = £108m as at May 2022

Other charges take that up to £124m and I'm assuming this is for all coaching staff and players at whatever level.

2023 accounts haven't been released yet so I'm not sure where this 138m Euro loss has come from?? Have I missed something?

From Aston Villa FC Limited Accounts:

Total wages = £108m as at May 2022

Other charges take that up to £124m and I'm assuming this is for all coaching staff and players at whatever level.

2023 accounts haven't been released yet so I'm not sure where this 138m Euro loss has come from?? Have I missed something?
I was thinking that as well.