Financial Accounts for 2022/23 | Page 5 | Vital Football

Financial Accounts for 2022/23

Imagine how Danson would feel paying Magennis for another year!
I've hit on this before, Danson doesn't get his arse down to the DW enough to watch matches so he wouldn't know a good player from a corner flag, if that crackpot Maloney goes in to Danson saying all the right things "good around the dressing room, good leader" etc the extension would no doubt be signed.

Goodburn isn't any better either never shows his face at matches, at least Whelan kept his eye on what happened on the pitch as well, the guy knew his football.

But given how mental the previous regime was you never know - they probably gave Magennis one too!
Surely the player in question must earn the extension? Appearances, goals scored, assists etc.

Magennis has done nothing to warrant an extended contract, speaking of appearances that could answer all our questions on why Magennis keeps getting selected and makes appearances as sub more often than not above players that ARE actually playing well, all part of Maloneys crackpot plan? :hmmm:

Surely the player in question must earn the extension? Appearances, goals scored, assists etc.

Magennis has done nothing to warrant an extended contract, speaking of appearances that could answer all our questions on why Magennis keeps getting selected and makes appearances as sub more often than not above players that ARE actually playing well, all part of Maloneys crackpot plan? :hmmm:

Magennis has made 37 appearances this season. If you have an automatic contract extension trigger that's probably enough to hit it. Massey got an automatic extension triggered despite not even playing 20 games.

I'd like to think we wouldn't have signed a 31 year old on a big wage 2 and a half year deal with an automatic trigger extension trigger but I wouldn't put anything past the previous owners. I'd also like to think the club would be fully aware on any trigger clauses and mindful not to hit them and get lumbered with expensive players we don't want next season.

I don't rate Magennis but if he doesn't play up front we haven't got anyone else who can play target man and the way we play needs someone to hold the ball. So we keep using him out of a complete lack of alternatives - if Stones was fit he'd be starting weekly by now.

We shouldn't be in this position and should've signed a target man instead of Kelman - who was never a fit from day one. But it's where we are.

Last edited:
Hughes and Aasgaard would be my guess. They signed new deal under Talal and another under Danson. Would've had to give them good wage to ensure they stayed.
Hughes will attract bids in the summer. He is big, strong and can also play football - a rare combination in a centre half. Asgaard still appears a bit lightweight for English football, although there's no doubt that he's skilful enough. He ran the show down at Peterborough, and their defence resorted to kicking him every time he got the ball.

Hughes will attract bids in the summer. He is big, strong and can also play football - a rare combination in a centre half. Asgaard still appears a bit lightweight for English football, although there's no doubt that he's skilful enough. He ran the show down at Peterborough, and their defence resorted to kicking him every time he got the ball.

I think that we probably had to offer deals that are bigger than we'd be looking to offer to new signings in order to keep them. But it was certainly the right choice as both will repay that investment down the line.

Hughes will go on to be a Prem player at some point for sure. Aasgaard is 6'2 and is built quite well, but he's still learning the physical side of the game. He's not a naturally physical player but i think he's improved on that this season and if he can become a bit stronger and learn how to use his size more effectively to hold off defenders he's got potential to go far too. I could see Aasgaard potentially becoming an out and out striker down the line.

Danson doesn't get his arse down to the DW enough to watch matches so he wouldn't know a good player from a corner flag, if that crackpot Maloney goes in to Danson saying all the right things "good around the dressing room, good leader" etc the extension would no doubt be signed.

Goodburn isn't any better either never shows his face at matches, at least Whelan kept his eye on what happened on the pitch as well, the guy knew his football.
What about Lucas, have you spotted him in the Directors Box?

Are you register monitor?

I've hit on this before, Danson doesn't get his arse down to the DW enough to watch matches so he wouldn't know a good player from a corner flag, if that crackpot Maloney goes in to Danson saying all the right things "good around the dressing room, good leader" etc the extension would no doubt be signed.

Whelan had a multi million UK empire but was locally based, he was heavily involved in the club and he loved that probably more than his other businesses. So it makes sense he was there so often.

By contrast Danson / Goodburn run a billionare dollar global business empire, which the club is just a small part of and they aren't based locally. So i wouldn't expect them to be there that much. But Maloney says Danson watches all of the games. But even if he doesn't as long as he's paying the bills and able to delegate appropriately it probably doesn't really make a huge difference.

We've just seen the accounts that show the huge amount of money Danson has had to put in over his first year in charge. So i think that while it's fair to say the club isn't taking priority over his other business interests, there's no doubting his commitment. If he really couldn't be bothered he would've let us go bust last June and saved himself millions.

Whelan had a multi million UK empire but was locally based, he was heavily involved in the club and he loved that probably more than his other businesses. So it makes sense he was there so often.

By contrast Danson / Goodburn run a billionare dollar global business empire, which the club is just a small part of and they aren't based locally. So i wouldn't expect them to be there that much. But Maloney says Danson watches all of the games. But even if he doesn't as long as he's paying the bills and able to delegate appropriately it probably doesn't really make a huge difference.

We've just seen the accounts that show the huge amount of money Danson has had to put in over his first year in charge. So i think that while it's fair to say the club isn't taking priority over his other business interests, there's no doubting his commitment. If he really couldn't be bothered he would've let us go bust last June and saved himself millions.
Pretty much hits the nail on the head that KDZ, what you missed was the types of businesses, JJB was a large sports company aiming to grow to one of the biggest, our meteoric rise under DW went hand in hand with the growth of JJB, it was a marketing masterpiece. It was a match made in heaven and a masterstroke on the part of DW, if you remember Whelan gave his reasons why he didn't take over MUFC when he had the opportunity, he claimed to many other football fans disliked Utd; and that could have had the opposite effect that the growth with us did.

Mike Danson's companies do not need us in the same way, they are already global players with no direct links to sport, does that mean, I think it does, what he is doing for us is without strings and perhaps even more meaningful.

Where has it been said Danson watches all the games?

I dont think he does, so that leaves Tinkerbell to his own devices is it any wonder the club is a shit show with no one running the show full time.

Maloney said it ... in an interview. He didn't say he watched live though.
Don't get the fuss, anyone would think by the way some are going on, he'd not seen a game but been seen watching every single eggchasing game. He's probably only seen both teams live less than 10 times in total...presume if he's in the country, he'll be at Charlton in a couple of weeks

Don't get the fuss, anyone would think by the way some are going on, he'd not seen a game but been seen watching every single eggchasing game. He's probably only seen both teams live less than 10 times in total...presume if he's in the country, he'll be at Charlton in a couple of weeks
You could have hit on summat there, if Danson said he watches all Wigan games that daft bugger Maloney thought he meant Latics when he really meant his beloved Worriers. :hmmm:

Easy to forget because of how long's he's been around but Aasgaard is still only 21 years old! For a player his age to already have over 100 EFL appearances at L1 level or higher is hugely impressive and will attract substantial interest. His body probably still hasn't grown to its full potential and he already looks a completely different person physically compared to what he looked like a few years ago.

Him, Hughes and Tickle are the golden assets but Tickle only has two years left, which is a problem and makes him the most likely to be sold, especially if a loan back for a season is part of any deal. An England U21 keeper contracted to a L1 club with only two years left on his deal. Plenty of vultures will be eying up a bargain.

Where has it been said Danson watches all the games?

I dont think he does, so that leaves Tinkerbell to his own devices is it any wonder the club is a shit show with no one running the show full time.

Maloney in his most recent interview where he discussed their upcoming meeting about next seasons budget.

Danson apparently used to watch United and Chelsea so I imagine now he's paying millions for us he's probably more interested in watching us. Even if it's not live or in person.

We also know his parents are meant to be Latics fans and his son on the board, so even if he isn't able to watch every game he will have people who gave give him updates.

Easy to forget because of how long's he's been around but Aasgaard is still only 21 years old! For a player his age to already have over 100 EFL appearances at L1 level or higher is hugely impressive and will attract substantial interest. His body probably still hasn't grown to its full potential and he already looks a completely different person physically compared to what he looked like a few years ago.

Him, Hughes and Tickle are the golden assets but Tickle only has two years left, which is a problem and makes him the most likely to be sold, especially if a loan back for a season is part of any deal. An England U21 keeper contracted to a L1 club with only two years left on his deal. Plenty of vultures will be eying up a bargain.

Tickle's last deal was signed before he'd got in the first team, so I imagine it's likely quite a low wage compared to most first team regulars. We are bound to be negotiating upping his money and adding extra years. I think we'll be able to agree that as he'll know that it's a matter of time before he gets a big move, so might as well up his wages while he's still here.

Maloney has confirmed there are 7 players out of contract, and named 5 of them (McManaman, Kerr, Humphrys, Jones and Magennis) as players he has spoken to. But said it will probably be early April before he knows the budget and what he can offer them. The indication seemed like he wanted to keep them and they were all open to staying.

It seems to also suggest no one has an extension trigger.

He says he's met with Danson and Goodburn twice in the last few days but the budget hasn't been finalised yet.

He had no reason to name any player so I assume he's being genuine about keeping them.