Way things are wages will be massively reduced
Some players sold to get some of his money
Back
With very little to spend to bring in new players
Way I see it we will have a weaker side next season compared to this
And a much bigger struggle on the field
With a big part of the team now here gone end of season
And could well be like this for quite some time
But at least we will still have a club just impossible to build a successful team for quie some time
But it needs to be sorted and it will be under danson
It will be a squad that is paid less Bicky, that is a given. The footballing world was collectively saying that Wigan were massively overpaying in L1 two years ago, and the subsequent accounts show just how much they were overpaying by. £10k+ a week for one player in L1 is totally unsustainable on income based on 8000 attendances. You could just about get an entire starting 11 for the wages of Magennis & Wyke - neither of whom you will miss.

It will be a squad that is paid less Bicky, that is a given. The footballing world was collectively saying that Wigan were massively overpaying in L1 two years ago, and the subsequent accounts show just how much they were overpaying by. £10k+ a week for one player in L1 is totally unsustainable on income based on 8000 attendances. You could just about get an entire starting 11 for the wages of Magennis & Wyke - neither of whom you will miss.
Good job our average in that L1 season was over 9,000

Hughes and Aasgaard would be my guess. They signed new deal under Talal and another under Danson. Would've had to give them good wage to ensure they stayed.
I can't see this as being right KDZ ... surely Danson's whole strategy is going to be to pay lower wages, and sell players as they justify earning big money.

This is the first full season for both of them (though Aasgard's been on the scene for a season or two) and neither really justified having loads of money chucked at 'em.

My guess is Pearce ... unless one of the others has a Massey clause.

I can't see this as being right KDZ ... surely Danson's whole strategy is going to be to pay lower wages, and sell players as they justify earning big money.

This is the first full season for both of them (though Aasgard's been on the scene for a season or two) and neither really justified having loads of money chucked at 'em.

I did hear a rumour about Wyke

Both signed new contracts under Talal when money was being thrown around like mad, so they both would've been on good money before Danson took over.

After Danson took over we had a number of players hand in their notice, Maloney said we tried to negotiate new deals with them but they just wanted out. Shortly after that Hughes and Aasgaard signed new deals despite both having 3 years left.

Danson clearly wouldn't have offered new deals unless he had to, so I think it's highly likely the offer was made to avoid them handing in their notice - like it was offered to the ones that did hand in their notice. I imagine we probably were willing to offer more money than we normally would due to their future potential transfer value potentially leaving for nothing.

They almost certainly wouldn't have taken a pay cut, and maybe even got a pay rise from the Talal contract they got. But I think we didn't have much choice under the circumstances.

You may be right KDZ, but neither Hughes nor Aasgard had done anything to warrant big money under Talal, and even if they were, it still doesn't make sense to suggest Danson matched it.

Anyhow, face it, both are likely to fetch considerably more than the cost of their contracts if we tried to sell them ... I don't see the contract of either as a liability.

You may be right KDZ, but neither Hughes nor Aasgard had done anything to warrant big money under Talal, and even if they were, it still doesn't make sense to suggest Danson matched it.

Anyhow, face it, both are likely to fetch considerably more than the cost of their contracts if we tried to sell them ... I don't see the contract of either as a liability.

No one did enough to get the money they were being paid by Talal, so I imagine Aasgaard and Hughes probably got far more than they probably should've like all their team mates.

If the deal was to stop them walking on a free they probably asked for a pay rise and Danson probably conceded it would be financially better to pay it over losing them, even if it's more than he's happy with.

Of the candidates, that would make most sense (as he was probably the best performer out of that group ... I presume the clause would have been in before the awful incident.

I'd guess Wyke is unlikely to have an automatic extension clause as you rarely get them in 3 year deals. They seem to be far more common on 2 year deals. But given how mental the previous regime was you never know - they probably gave Magennis one too!

May explain the lack of goodbye and thanks when he left.

Wyke's loan means he probably won't pull on a Latics shirt again but i wouldn't expect him to write a goodbye message until his contract runs out officially. I think he will do one then.

If the deal was to stop them walking on a free they probably asked for a pay rise and Danson probably conceded it would be financially better to pay it over losing them, even if it's more than he's happy with.
Kids that age, not really (or at best, only just turned ) first team regulars, I'd imagine the lure of the new contract for them was the security offered by the length.

Who knows? ... though I suspect we'll find out in the summer. All things being equal, my bet is they're staying, but If they are on big money, then I reckon they're almost certainly on their way.

Kids that age, not really (or at best, only just turned ) first team regulars, I'd imagine the lure of the new contract for them was the security offered by the length.

Who knows? ... though I suspect we'll find out in the summer. All things being equal, my bet is they're staying, but If they are on big money, then I reckon they're almost certainly on their way.

I think they'll probably both stay as even if they are on good money we're still going to demand a level of fee that I'm not convinced anyone will pay yet.

But if they continue to progress in 6-12 months those offers will start to arrive.

King, don’t do this to me. It’s bad enough knowing we’ve another three home games watching this lame donkey up front, but the prospect of another season would be just too much and the final straw for me.

Imagine how Danson would feel paying Magennis for another year!