Final League Position Predictions? | Vital Football

Final League Position Predictions?

MrDavishPFC

Vital Newbie
I know it's early, but after seeing around 5/6 months of football, where do you think, or where would you be happy with, Pompey finishing this season?

Gone with Mid-table .. as a think we will be there or thereabouts ...

.... happy with avoiding relegation was my starting gambit at the beginning of the season .. so although I'd be disappointed if we (now) finished one above the relegation zone .. I'd still be ok with it ..

Next Year however I will have far greater expectations..

Have to agree with you Chix! Especially after the opening game of the season I thought 'here we go again', but now we have a game in hand over everyone bar Wycombe, meaning we can reach 8th position, if results go our way.

Not too shabby!

PUP.

Nice one MrD, glad to see you not only involved as a blogger now, and posting but posting your own threads too :35:

Ahead of the season I had aspirations of being midtable, wanted around 10th(ish) tho so will be sticking to that and anything less will disappoint me.

Ok, perhaps injuries dont always help but think Whittingham needs to cut out some of the needless tinkering, dont think he is too far away from knowing his best XI now tho and that side SHOULD be more than capable of finishing around midtable for me...

Cheers Rug! :4:

I'm looking forward to Christmas, not because of the wine, chocolate and mince pies, but because this tends to be the period that defines the rest of the season!

If we can string together a few points in that time, as well as recruiting a few new players, I have no doubts that mid-table will be where we lie come the end of April.

PUP.

fingers crossed MrD ... and a little higher would be greeted with an acknowledgement of job well done for the trust

I've got a good feeling about it Chix, providing the JPT doesn't take over, and we begin losing focus on the league, then we'll be fine. I balance is needed when it comes to league and cup games, which is something I think we've got.

In Pompey We Trust.

The Paint Pot wont get in the way now will it...

Bitterly disappointed by our exit but we have no excuses now as the league is all we have to play for now.

What has been annoying this season is the way the players seem to queue up to apologise when they have short changed the fans again. If they did their jobs properly there would be no need for their persistent apologies. :9:

mslorna48 - 12/11/2013 16:10

I voted for promotion as play off winners, cos. I'm an Optimist. :41: :110:

Wow .. I hope you are right Lorna .. I'd happily be wrong it that happens .. can you imagine .. :14:

It is not goal-scoring that is our problem – we’re the joint second highest scorers in the league. Our problem is defending. Only three clubs have conceded more goals than us this season. If we had limited our opponents to one less goal per match this season (not easy, but a lot easier than us scoring one more goal per match), if we had done that, we would be top. Three points clear in fact. And probably still in the league and paint pot cups. Let’s put a good deal of what little resource we now have into building a defence that will take us back to Division 1.

Have to agree with you there, Robin. Many times this season I've thought 'not again', whenever a team attacks. We don't seem confident in our defence, and they don't seem confident in themselves. Bring in perhaps an out-and-out left back, and another centre back, and I'm sure we can push higher for the second part of the season. Hopefully, we can undo the damage that has already been done, it's now down to Guy and his recruitment team to find a suitable defender.

Ricardo Rocha anyone?

PUP.

Gotta agree with both of you re the defending but as for bringing in more people haven't we done that already ...

we have .. Cooper, East, Moutauakil, Painter, Devera, N'Gala, Bradley ... That's seven and then we have Webster and Butler (both with first team experience in League 1) so that's nine and we also have Jack Whatmough chomping at the bit in the Academy .. so good that we have just given him a three year deal.. So that's ten.... I'm sure we don't need anymore

What we do need however is Andy Awford to stop what he is doing for a day a week and drill this lot on how we should play week in and week out then WHOEVER plays knows what to do.

That's exactly what George Graham instructed Pat Rice to do at Arsenal and Rice did it year after year until he retired ... everybody defended the Arsenal way ... and boy we all know how effective that was !!

Maybe Rocha coming back to train will help do this .. He was probably a better defender than Pat Rice too !!

oh .. and Hi Robin god to see you posting on Vital Pompey !

Ricardo will do what Awford probably should have been doing for a couple of months, I know Guy says RJR isnt going to play for us again (and I am torn if I would even want this anyway) but I would never say never as alot can happen in a few days, let alone weeks or even a month.

Oh, and welcome Rob, are you the Rob that I met before the Exeter game all those years ago and also met before the Plymouth game this season with Richie etc.?

pompeyrug - 15/11/2013 14:56

Oh, and welcome Rob, are you the Rob that I met before the Exeter game all those years ago and also met before the Plymouth game this season with Richie etc.?

You Devon boys will pick up anybody .. Beware Rob .. before you know it he be suggesting a beer in Dawlish ..

Just re-read that and chuckled to myself ... makes it sounds as if Rug goes around picking up men ... :59: I promise you thats not the case ... unless anybody can tell me differently :68: