February Player Ratings: Darren Ferguson Is Wrong - Shoot The Players Instead | Vital Football

February Player Ratings: Darren Ferguson Is Wrong - Shoot The Players Instead

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
When turning my thoughts towards this month's player ratings article, I encountered an unexpected dilemma.

<a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?523555">Click here to read the article</a>

<b>On Twitter? Please Retweet:</b>
https://twitter.com/VitalLincoln/status/970916894134947841

<b>On Facebook? Please Share:</b>
https://www.facebook.com/VitalLincolnCity/posts/1618179994884906

<b>On Google+? Please Share:</b>
https://plus.google.com/+VitalLincolnCityFC/posts/UVyFNvDWLwA

I think that the Managers must share the blame. As you have already stated it is patently obvious they are party to training players to perfect their diving techniques. Yet as total hypocrite's they will bleat about opposing players doing precisely the same . I agree totally with your point about players being happier to dive than score goals. Sadly I look at Dele Ali a great young talent and he is a regular diver even when he has the opportunity to score.
What worries me even more is the fact that if you watch childrens matches they are copying the pros and doing the same thing.
I personally would make it a straight red offence with a three match ban but if the same player gets caught again that season i would then double it to a six match ban.
I can't see it ever happening as it is the players who weald all the power in football now .

Doesn't matter how many pundits say contact is a foul or "a right to go down." Doesn't matter how many managers encourage their players (or fail to discourage) their players to cheat. Doesn't matter how many players are quite literally so dishonest that they are happy to get glory by cheating.

They can dive and timewaste and feign injury all day long. Players managers and pundits do not make the decisions. Referees do. So it is down to the referee. If they make crap decisions it is entirely on their shoulders. Yes humans make mistakes but some of the referees we see even in the PL seem to just guess.

GreenNeedle - 6/3/2018 00:09

Doesn't matter how many pundits say contact is a foul or "a right to go down." Doesn't matter how many managers encourage their players (or fail to discourage) their players to cheat. Doesn't matter how many players are quite literally so dishonest that they are happy to get glory by cheating.

They can dive and timewaste and feign injury all day long. Players managers and pundits do not make the decisions. Referees do. So it is down to the referee. If they make crap decisions it is entirely on their shoulders. Yes humans make mistakes but some of the referees we see even in the PL seem to just guess.

You have completely missed the point of what I have written.

Referees cannot be expected to referee a game correctly when the players are doing everything in their power to ensure they cannot do so.

The very same players who are doing their utmost to con referees for 90+5 minutes every week are the first ones to bleat to the media when referees get things wrong. That is imbecilic. They are the root cause of their own problem.

It is not down to the referee. The referee is almost powerless now to discern between a genuine foul and a dive. That is why the use of technology to identify it and severe penalties to punish it have become a necessity.

And the pundits are of huge importance in all of this. What they say reaches a huge audience and is therefore extremely influential. If Robbie Savage says it is perfectly acceptable to go down with any contact, people without a brain accept it as received wisdom. The players then take that as condoning their conduct and express permission to continue doing it.

If the pundits were to call it 'shameful cheating' instead of trying to legitimise it, what effect might that have on the top players in particular?

One thing is for certain: while the likes of Mr Savage and his overpaid mates continue to endorse blatant cheating in the game, absolutely nothing will change.

And the poor old referee will continue to be pilloried for things that he can do nothing about.

Honesty in sport is the only thing that gives it authenticity. Cheating makes everything worthless. An implied condition inherent in every sport must be that every participant plays fairly. Consider cycling and athletics for a few seconds: how much have those been tarnished in recent years by competitors not playing by the rules?

I'd be interested to know if anyone considers the art of "taking a yellow" or shirtpulling is in the same vein as diving. Like diving, done correctly can con a ref and prevent goals from being scored or is there something so detestable about the art of diving that offends us more than a professional foul?

Is one more acceptable than the other though? What about an unseen shirt pull at a corner that prevents a goal?

All cheating is bad. That's why we have a referee to arbitrate. Would be superb if they were all Gents, held their hands up and didn't need a referee. That is the point of the referee. To ensure fairness. To what degree players try to push the boundaries is by the by. They will push as far as the referee allows. And thus it is solely upon the referees shoulders to do the best he/she can.

Pundits pushing an entitlement aspect is another matter. You could argue it is prevalent throughout society with certain crimes being pushed as OK. A little white lie or exaggeration on a benefits form. Slight embellishment on a CV.

Politicians thrive of the "pundit" aspect where they push entitlement as far as they can to herd votes towards them. That is modern society (and I daresay has always been so.)

Maybe I haven;t said it on here before but I have been pretty open on different platforms for a few years now and my amazement how many sportspepole we have in this country that have diabetes or asthma or [insert any illness that requires performance enhancing medication.)

It has been quite obvious what has been happening while they harp on about Russia yet get their favourite doctors to pass them off on medication.

I daresay that a fair few ADHD sufferers are great sportspeople seeing as ADHD medicine helps you concentrate. Would be a superb medication for sports like Snooker where you can just switch off focus for a few seconds and it costs you a frame.

The problem here is that is human nature. To push a speed limit by a few mph to gain a minute here and there.

Just look at the furore over that speed skater last week. She pushes the boundaries and tries to squeeze through small gaps, using her elbows to ease competitors out of the way and then the media are all crying about how unlucky she is and how it isn't fair. Difference there was referees and replays.

I'm not a huge fan of in game VAR. I think all that could be done with bans retrospectively and eventually the argument of "doesn;t affect the result" would die off because a few games down the line with 15 players suspended it would most definitely start affecting the result.

Until then though we could do with a few referees that can see blatant diving and feigning injury.

Why not shoot Darren Ferguson? Won’t solve the referring issue but I’m sure it’ll make everyone feel better.

so, if diving is not obvious... how does the referee know the player has dived? and for every actual dive, there will be an instance where a player - running at pace - is knocked slightly off balance and genuinely goes flying.

re: referees
referees can only make a difference, if the governing body and the rules allow them to. take a look at pro rugby union. more going on in the scrum, maul, ruck than any tackling in football. and the players are still trying their utmost, by all methods, to gain an advantage. but the referee has superb control of the game. i think the sin bin is a huge help to referees, and deterrent to cheating players. it would make an interesting experiment in pro football. something to try in the efl trophy for instance.