Favourite xmas song - def n/g | Page 3 | Vital Football

Favourite xmas song - def n/g

Carols- Oh Holy Night and Sussex Carol

Pop - Wham and Greg Lake

I also like this melancholy version of the Slade song by Noel Gallagher. A reminder that some people really struggle this time of year for various reasons, even more so during these covid times. Check in on your mates and speak to someone if you personally are finding things tough.

When a child is born (Johnny Mathis).
Fairytail of New York (Pogues.
Last Christmas (Wham).
In Dulci Jubilo (Mike Oldfield).
Stop The Cavalry (Jona Lewie)

Classic carols:
Once in Royal David's City.
We Three Kings.
Silent night.
Away in a Manger.

I generally come out in a nasty rash when I hear Christmas songs , but have to admit there are a few I can tolerate. Greg lake and John Lennon mentioned previously and for some strange reason Ian Anderson's Christmas song .
Regardless, happy crimble one and all. Hope everyone has a good one

Good shout on Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull). As bonkers as so much of their stuff but strangely infectious:
Ring Out, Solstice Bells (2003 Remaster) - YouTube

Regarding Johnny Mathis, that song doesn't seem to get anything like the airplay on Radio that so many other Christmas songs get, unless I just seem to be listening at the wrong times.

Back in the fifties one of my favourite singers was Harry Belafonte, wonderful voice and some great songs such as the Banana boat song and Island in the sun, but his remarkable Christmas song Mary's Boy Child is for me the best of the Christmas songs of all time.
Merry Xmas all you Gills fans.

I like Matt Monroe’s version too - both versions more so than the much more played and more sold Boney M version.

I love Christmas and am a big kid - all the more so as my wife’s family are miserable and hate it.

We’re a bit sad and have Xmas songs from one of the many online Christmas music radio or cable channels on throughout December.

I particularly love all the silly and garish Christmas songs from the 70s and 80s - Wizzard, Slade, Mud, even (and I’ll whisper this) Glitter, Wham!, Shakie, Macca, Elton, the lot!

Very few modern ones of note, but the Darkness’s hit from a few years ago is ace and I quite like Coldplay’s Christmas Lights (and I hate Coldplay).

Under-rated ones for me are Father Christmas by the Kinks, thank god it’s Christmas by Queen and it’s Christmas Time by Quo - all underplayed.

I love Christmas and am a big kid - all the more so as my wife’s family are miserable and hate it.

We’re a bit sad and have Xmas songs from one of the many online Christmas music radio or cable channels on throughout December.

I particularly love all the silly and garish Christmas songs from the 70s and 80s - Wizzard, Slade, Mud, even (and I’ll whisper this) Glitter, Wham!, Shakie, Macca, Elton, the lot!

Very few modern ones of note, but the Darkness’s hit from a few years ago is ace and I quite like Coldplay’s Christmas Lights (and I hate Coldplay).

Under-rated ones for me are Father Christmas by the Kinks, thank god it’s Christmas by Queen and it’s Christmas Time by Quo - all underplayed.[/QUO
Is your wife's maiden name Scrooge?
Having a Ukrainian/Russian other half I get four seasonal celebrations: western Europe Christmas; New Year's Eve; Russian Orthodox Christmas around 7 January and Old New Year.

Hate Xmas, a combination of religious nonsense and rampant consumerism. In addition, the pubs (in the past) have been filled with amateur drinkers (eventually they order a round, only to say at the end: can I also have a pint of Guinness). Bar f****** humbug:mad:

Last edited:
Hate Xmas, a combination of religious nonsense and rampant consumerism. In addition, the pubs (in the past) have been filled with amateur drinkers (eventually they order a round, only to say at the end: can I also have a pint of Guinness). Bar f****** humbug:mad:
Wonderful. Finally found someone who feels the same as me.

Just had Cop26 and millions are buying piles of crap that will be landfill in a fortnight.

I point blank refused to have my missus buy me an Xmas present. Beers from my daughter and a tea tray from my son (as we only have one and I have to eat dinner off the breadboard on the rare occasions we eat in front of tele).

Wonderful. Finally found someone who feels the same as me.

Just had Cop26 and millions are buying piles of crap that will be landfill in a fortnight.

I point blank refused to have my missus buy me an Xmas present. Beers from my daughter and a tea tray from my son (as we only have one and I have to eat dinner off the breadboard on the rare occasions we eat in front of tele).
According to my son, we have a large brown envelope arriving tomorrow.
Hopefully it’s full of cash.
Last time I got one of them was just before I was arrested 😂😂😂

I love Christmas - the look of excitement on a young child's face when they unwrap their present, followed by the look of disappointment when the realise it isn't what they wanted. Look forward to it for months

Under-rated ones for me are Father Christmas by the Kinks, thank god it’s Christmas by Queen and it’s Christmas Time by Quo - all underplayed.

I may be a leftie but I'll raise you a softie Steve. Enjoy

Last edited:
Many Carols are of course a really important part of Christmas. But given we are being asked for a modern song I will go for

Do they know it's Christmas?

It captures what Christmas should be about for non Christian's and Christian's alike.

Many Carols are of course a really important part of Christmas. But given we are being asked for a modern song I will go for

Do they know it's Christmas?

It captures what Christmas should be about for non Christian's and Christian's alike.

OP asked for fav xmas songs. Most carols are xmas songs and mine was silent night and make no apology for it.