FAO Silent Blade | Vital Football

FAO Silent Blade

Charliejoejohn2

Vital Squad Member
I remember the games against Arsenal when Alan Ball sat on the ball when they beat us 5-0 and TC repaid him when he did the same when we beat them by the same score. I seem to remember the games being very close together. My question is What interval was there between the two games?

Long time ago now but with the team we had back then losing to them at the Lane 5-0 would have been a real bummer. I remember it had been a red hot day and home on leave I soaked up the sun at Millhouses Lido. Must have had a positive effect on TC cos he was absoloutely on fire that night. What a player, what a performance, he really could do magic!!!!

My recollection is that Arsenal were beating us 5 - 0 at the Lane on 29th January 1972 when Alan Ball sat on the ball close to the half way line near the dug outs on the John Street side. He followed this up with some unkind comments after the game

It was 19 months and 6 days later when we played Arsenal at the Lane on 4 September 1973. We went 5 - 0 up and the whole crowd were imploring Currie to sit on the ball. TC duly obliged but very close to our own penalty area (in fact it may have been just inside it). This was of course far riskier but as TC got up to rapturous applause he stumbled and Arsenal almost scored as a result.

What a memory and what a magical night!

Ah DB - those halcyon days at Millhouses Lido. We spent most of our summers there, often calling at the Wagon and Horses for some refreshment before heading back.

We used to love it until the lads came back on leave from the army and nicked the girls!!

I remember the games against Arsenal when Alan Ball sat on the ball when they beat us 5-0 and TC repaid him when he did the same when we beat them by the same score. I seem to remember the games being very close together. My question is What interval was there between the two games?
I think you're posting this on the wrong forum CJJ. Silent Blade posts on S24mate.

The old grey matter on the wane these days, glad I was,nt at the Lane to see squeaky blood nut take the piss by sitting on the ball. Thought that happened at Highbury but there you go. Millhouses Lido, a great place especially for families with kids but no bird pulling for me, the wife would have objected! Prior to the Lido, the old Millhouses Baths was quite an experience, filled with river water, when you dived in, it took 15 minutes for you to start breathing again before having a jam tart attack! I was there 1960 when a young lad drowned after going in from the top diving board, reckon he was up there train spotting! No chance of seeing him below the murky surface so baths closed and he had to be retrieved by police divers. Think that signed the death knell of the place which was later replaced by the Lido.

Shouldn't sit on a ball it makes them oval shaped, probably the reason they can't pass three yards to each other now.

I think if a player sat on the present ball they play with it would finish up as flat as a fart. Then again the old time casey ball would have crushed their bollox flat. In the 50s the Great Jimmy Hagan stood on the ball as an apponent attempted to kick it and crack! his leg nearly broke in two. The sound reverberated all around the ground. Jimmy got sent off for that old timers tactic. Real mans game back then cos tha needed nerves of steel to head the f..kin thing, like nutting a Bull Terrier!

My recollection is that Arsenal were beating us 5 - 0 at the Lane on 29th January 1972 when Alan Ball sat on the ball close to the half way line near the dug outs on the John Street side. He followed this up with some unkind comments after the game

It was 19 months and 6 days later when we played Arsenal at the Lane on 4 September 1973. We went 5 - 0 up and the whole crowd were imploring Currie to sit on the ball. TC duly obliged but very close to our own penalty area (in fact it may have been just inside it). This was of course far riskier but as TC got up to rapturous applause he stumbled and Arsenal almost scored as a result.

What a memory and what a magical night!

Ah DB - those halcyon days at Millhouses Lido. We spent most of our summers there, often calling at the Wagon and Horses for some refreshment before heading back.

We used to love it until the lads came back on leave from the army and nicked the girls!!
Is my memory playing tricks with me is I say I remember Alan Ball clapping TC when he sat on the ball. ?

You,re correct Charlie, Alan Ball did applaud TC, one England International applauding an England team mate in appreciation of TCs brilliant skills. What a Player! Great Days Indeed!!