FAO Dave Burgess. | Vital Football

FAO Dave Burgess.

CecColdwell

Vital Newbie
Just finished reading the book, Goose Green, by Nigel Ely, Falklands War Veteran, 2Para and SAS. Thought you might be interested. He has written the book by interviewing those who were there ,from Captains down to privates.
Very funny in places but brings tears to the eyes in others. Did,nt realise how lucky the forces were to win the war and H comes across as a bully who got himself killed, not the big hero as portrayed in the media.

There were some good documentaries made about the war in 2022 with interviews from soldiers that served there to recognise 40yrs since it happened
i only know one person who went there he was a school m8 who joined the marines he was 18 at the time never saw action he felt really embarrassed when his folks had a big party for his homecoming said it was the biggest piss up he’d ever been on shame it wasn’t the same for everyone

Generally speaking it,s the "Ruperts" (Officers) who get the gongs and other ranks cop for a "Military Medal" award (Military Cross) for Ruperts, all down to the scourge of the British class system! However Para Reg differs because of its fighting skills of other ranks, highly trained, peak fitness and agression which makes the Paras stand alone in the British Army, "Ready For Anything".Sergeant Ian Mckay from Rotherham and as a youngster on the Blades books won the VC on Longdon, sadly getting killed to win it! Another 3 Para lad, Cpl. Stuart Mcglaughlin a scouser after being killed for his act of bravery was also put forward for a VC on Longdon. Sadly inter service rivalry prevented the award by the top brass, mainly Navy because the Falklands was supposed to be a Marine lead assault, but as usual , Para Reg showed them the way at Goose Green and Mount Longdon, Postumhous VCs won in both battles. Naval bods were of the opinion that they just could,nt stomach the Parachute Regiment totally outshining the Sea Soldiers. Stuarts family have fought for justice regarding this for many years sadly as yet to no avail. As Field Marshall Montgomery described the Parachute Regiment, "Every Man An Emperor!"

Just to add to my previous post Cec, if you are interested in the war Down South in 82, the best book to read is an account by an old army mate of mine, Jim Mc,onell, title "3 Days In June". Jim himself had part of his face shot off by a dago sniper (Dagos had night sights, Paras did,nt!) It,s a brilliant blow by blow account of the battle for Mt. Longdon, inc. the Paras killed inc. sadly the death of a 17 year old 3 Para lad in the eve of his 18th birthday! "We Will Remember!"

Just to add to my previous post Cec, if you are interested in the war Down South in 82, the best book to read is an account by an old army mate of mine, Jim Mc,onell, title "3 Days In June". Jim himself had part of his face shot off by a dago sniper (Dagos had night sights, Paras did,nt!) It,s a brilliant blow by blow account of the battle for Mt. Longdon, inc. the Paras killed inc. sadly the death of a 17 year old 3 Para lad in the eve of his 18th birthday! "We Will Remember!"
Thanks Dave will a look for it.

It,s available on ebay Cec, well worth a read. Another mate, the late Denzil Conick lost his leg in the battle by clambering down the hill to look for cigs in the pocket of a Para who had been slotted but in the process copped for a dago artillery round, "Smoking Kills!" Had another mate Pat Harley not clambered down and applied first aid to Denzil under fire he would have bled to death. Both needed a smoke to calm their shredded nerves! For his bravery Pat was mentioned in dispatches. A poxy little oak leaf to stick on his South Atlantic medal ribbon. I reckon a Rupert would have copped for a VC!

Didn’t want to start a new thread this is closest to the subject
btw I don’t blame the forces they just do as they’re told (well most do 😳)
got to blame those in charge they’re the c_nts

549F76CD-EA98-42FB-9C83-919868026C5F.jpeg

Didn’t want to start a new thread this is closest to the subject
btw I don’t blame the forces they just do as they’re told (well most do 😳)
got to blame those in charge they’re the c_nts

View attachment 70969
This just shows how many thick people there are out there. The failure to control our borders has absolutely nothing to do with our armed forces. If they were told to do it they would and do it well. Unfortunately the c**** are all in parliament, all parties and there's absolutely zero will to sort it out.

By the way, while we're on about our security, I watched a fascinating interview with a reformed extremist on last night's James Whale show on Talk TV/ Radio. I found the interview riveting, the guy is so brave to speak out.
The interview starts around 7-25pm after the usual early tomfoolery. Here's a link...

In this modern snowflake woke world I,m glad I served before all this bollox. Helmet cameras? f.ck off!, media intrusion? f.ck off! much too dangerous for any shiny arse nosy twat to come anywhere near! Kill or be killed was our mantra if you wanted to keep on living and Rules Of Engagement only used to wipe your arse with, much better than Arabs using their left hand! Initially exonerated for our actions on 30/1/72 the powers that be dug it all up again with The Good Friday Surrender Agreement, freed all the murdering terrorists and went after the lads who were doing their job in service of Queen and Country facing bullet and bomb on a daily basis. A brother in arms in his 70s presently charged with murder for doing his job on that fateful day 52 years ago. "Country Fit For Heroes", FCK OFF!!