FAO Admin re thread closure | Vital Football

FAO Admin re thread closure

Buddha

Vital Football Hero
Good decision. It should have been closed ages ago.

If it was my abusive post that tipped the balance I'm shocked.

It was bound to happen but now VG's ability to partially speak his mind has been diminished

It isn't easy on here, we have hopefully been light touch and welcomed (totally delighted to have you all) on here. We have offered to have you nominate moderators (thankless task so don't blame people not wanting to! lol) etc. Or to contact me.

Trouble is, it's a fine line between free speech and abuse.

I do think some would be better in life (not just on Vital) to ignore those who wind them up so much. Life is too short.

Happy to listen to suggestions but obviously either way, it is difficult to keep all happy or 'win' ...

I think football is controversial enough, trying to talk politics on these forums is a nightmare!!

I appreciate the light touch on here. We've been at each others' throats since long before we came on here but we still generally manage to keep things in bounds.

When Gills are playing we're thick as thieves. It's just the rest of the week that we have to get through.

Were I to support the principle of banning or preventing speech on occasions (which I do not), that thread would have been a damn good candidate for the procedure.

My only worry is that we lose posters who log on, see those threads heading the postings once again, and say oh sod it, I'll not bother. Of course, no one is forced to read them, but they do rather set a tone after awhile.

People use the ‘Report’ button?!?

Surprised that certain right wing extremists (self proclaimed ‘populists’) haven’t been banned altogether.

[doing a great job Mr(s) Admin]

The answer is the ignore option that being said I am pleased the Admin has taken action if a thread has got out of hand.I enjoy talking politics but reading racist rubbish is not what I want to read.Having family who's origins are outside the UK.It leaves me angry as many are the nicest people you could wish we to meet.I know two referees who have part or all their family origins outside the UK. They are both excellent referees at their level and fabulous people to meet .

I think football is controversial enough, trying to talk politics on these forums is a nightmare!!

This is a football forum??? Well FMD!

I’m with Jokerman about people not bothering when they see all the political rambling. I reckon without all the crap sniping and arguing about politics, race and whatever other social issues are up your nose , we’d have a lot more posters here. And possibly talking football and Gills.

Yes, you can just ignore those threads and move on (which is what I do) but it’s quite easy to see that a lot of posters are here purely for those controversial threads and to wind people up. And quite often it then all spills over into the football threads (as with my recent Ashley Cole thread).

Here’s a novel idea to those people, how about start a political sub-forum and go for your lives.

People usually get the balance right, and I suppose in these torrid times it's harder to keep the balance. I like the politics. I like hearing tthe points of view-lots to learn. It's the abuse, and repeated abuse, usually from people with whom I'm fairly sympathetic, which gets a bit wearing. No big deal in the end though, and it blows over when Saturday comes.

Whether anyone likes their views or not most if not all the posters on the political threads are gills fans and all can tolerate some level of abuse from other posters lol.

People usually get the balance right, and I suppose in these torrid times it's harder to keep the balance. I like the politics. I like hearing tthe points of view-lots to learn. It's the abuse, and repeated abuse, usually from people with whom I'm fairly sympathetic, which gets a bit wearing. No big deal in the end though, and it blows over when Saturday comes.

Well said

No no no! I can’t be arsed visiting two separate forums. Think the way it is now works really well and people should easily be able to avoid posts they don’t want to read - it’s not as if there is a bombardment of political threads - just a lot of posts on those threads.

We don’t need to start introducing unnecessary rules.

No no no! I can’t be arsed visiting two separate forums. Think the way it is now works really well and people should easily be able to avoid posts they don’t want to read - it’s not as if there is a bombardment of political threads - just a lot of posts on those threads.

We don’t need to start introducing unnecessary rules.

Everyone has different ideas , be they political or how the site should should be run or presented. That's healthy in my book.

Im personally happy with the set up , and would suggest most folk are happy too.