Fantastic deals ? | Vital Football

Fantastic deals ?

barryimp

Vital Reserves Team
Looks like a few loanees then ? I would have thought we would be able to afford the odd better player. DC also said he was looking at non league players.They are not many that trip of the tongue.
A friend of mine who is a Stags supporter said that when Matt Rhead was with the Stags he was purely an impact player and he thought Nathan Arnold was between non league and Div 2. He did say however that he thought DC was a very good manager and he said that we played as a team.
He was also very concerned about the amount of money being spent at Field Mill.

Interesting part in there about Long - we didn't pay any of his wages then got to sign him, presumably for nothing. Fantastic deal indeed!

I'm happy that we aren't throwing daft money at players and putting ourselves in financial peril. I'm also sure that there's an element of keeping our powder dry, not wanting everyone to know how much we've got so they can ask for mega money.

However! Are we really that far behind anyone else in the league in terms of finances? The income we made last year from the cup, the increased gates and everything that went along with our success, plus the ticket sales already this year and the extra directors surely mean we can at least compete?

As I say, I'm all for the sensible approach. I'm just going it's more of a won't pay situation rather than a can't pay.

Hardly going to start reporting articles on how much cash we are ready to spend. We will be able to compete in the top ten I would imagine we will try and develop gems rather than spend big on those who have been around.

Rhead was an impact player, but not any more. His overall contribution is vastly different to what it was.

I like that we won't go stupid with wages, but we will have to spend more than last season to challenge. We also need to be very competitive in order to keep the new found support interested, otherwise it will be a one-off season for attendances!

It would be nice if the Cowleys could find brilliant players who want to play for Lincoln City for lower wages than they would get elsewhere. Ridiculous?? well that's what they did last season so who would bet against them doing it again??

Well if a Stags fan thinks Arnold is between a L2 and NL player, he must be right because he will have seen a lot more of him than we have.

Although we made a lot of money last season, I reckon the bulk of it will go towards the training ground & medical facilities, etc. Sure DC will have an increased budget for players but probably not a huge amount, which many clubs & agents will be banking on, plus of course DC doesnt believe in upsetting the playing squad by paying huge amounts to players - its all about the team.

PerthImp - 30/5/2017 01:24

Although we made a lot of money last season, I reckon the bulk of it will go towards the training ground & medical facilities, etc. Sure DC will have an increased budget for players but probably not a huge amount, which many clubs & agents will be banking on, plus of course DC doesnt believe in upsetting the playing squad by paying huge amounts to players - its all about the team.

I doubt it will be "the bulk" of it, but certainly it will be a substantial amount. If ever we were going to invest int he infrastructure, now is the time to do it. Hopefully, it will pay medium term dividends.