Fan's Golden Share Proposal | Vital Football

Fan's Golden Share Proposal

hulloutpost

Vital Champions League

This may not be as sexy as who we are signing next, but surely this is a massive news story. It speaks of the potential for an act of exceptional philanthropy and a fundamental bed rock of the board's integrity. Discuss:

The devil will be in the detail but I reckon at face value it will be along the lines of the Germans where fans retain at least 51% ownership of the club which amongst other things makes them less susceptible to chancers and asset strippers.

Last edited:
The devil will be in the detail but I reckon at face value it will be along the lines of the Germans where fans retain at least 51% ownership of the club which amongst other things makes them less susceptible to chancers and asset strippers.
I would think it’s not owning 51% or similar but that this share enables the holder to veto things like a change in ownership

Well the only shares I directly own are LCFC shares. So I shall read this with interest.

I wonder if this golden share is something that would act like a veto on behalf of the fans by the Red Imps Community Trust for any major decisions in the future such as a change in ownership, a colour change to the home kit or a move to a new ground for instance. I may of course be completely barking up the wrong tree.

The way I've always interpreted it is that it gives the fans, via the Trust, a block vote against an individual or group trying to change kit colours, club name, club badge, stadium moves and any other important and/or historical aspects of the club.

So everything along those lines has to be communicated and voted on - like we did with the badge vote a few weeks back.

The way I've always interpreted it is that it gives the fans, via the Trust, a block vote against an individual or group trying to change kit colours, club name, club badge, stadium moves and any other important and/or historical aspects of the club.

So everything along those lines has to be communicated and voted on - like we did with the badge vote a few weeks back.

Yeah, but we all know that was rigged.

It was part of the fan led review into football's recommendations wasn't it?

"Among the recommendations that are now to be brought forward include the creation of “shadow boards” consisting of club supporters that would allow fans to have a greater input into decision making in their clubs. Supporters groups would also get a “golden share” in their club, providing a veto on a number of key decisions, including whether to sell the club’s stadium, as well as heritage issues, such as the team’s crest or colours. There will also be a pledge to introduce stronger mechanisms to guarantee equality and diversity in football boardrooms."

It was part of the fan led review into football's recommendations wasn't it?

"Among the recommendations that are now to be brought forward include the creation of “shadow boards” consisting of club supporters that would allow fans to have a greater input into decision making in their clubs. Supporters groups would also get a “golden share” in their club, providing a veto on a number of key decisions, including whether to sell the club’s stadium, as well as heritage issues, such as the team’s crest or colours. There will also be a pledge to introduce stronger mechanisms to guarantee equality and diversity in football boardrooms."
Is was, but I think the Club had either started the ball rolling prior to the review or prior to the paper being released.