FA YOUTH CUP. | Vital Football

FA YOUTH CUP.

Forgive my bad memory but didn't we win this once, beating Liverpool in the final or something ridiculous???

Edit. Ok so I got carried away. We did beat Liverpool in the early stages with a young Matt Jarvis in the team.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...ws/liverpool-youth-0-gillingham-youth-3549859
No we have never won the FA youth cup.It would be really difficult to do these days with all the rules balanced towards the premier league. But yes I do believe we have pulled off the odd shock result over the years. But what I have heard this year it would be hard to imagine the current team doing anything positive in the cup this season.

I agree with Chris, this year the youth team isn't as good as its been in recent years however this year only has 5 second year players whereas in the past years we have had 7 or 8 so they are at a huge disadvantage to most teams. It looks like the best of the under 16 group is making up 3 to 4 places each week in the 16.

I think we have a couple of decent players in the first year batch Matt Baker and George Baker-Moran and below them Josh Chambers an under 16 look out for these 3 moving forward.

Yeah, fully agree.

Err, are we on about the yoof or the 1st team?
Yes it is however good news if Cookiejar is right. Long term if the current team is full of 16 and 17 year old players.Playing against teams who average age is about a half year older would make a big difference.

Forgive my bad memory but didn't we win this once, beating Liverpool in the final or something ridiculous???

Edit. Ok so I got carried away. We did beat Liverpool in the early stages with a young Matt Jarvis in the team.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...ws/liverpool-youth-0-gillingham-youth-3549859

Looking at the team-sheet from both sides it shows how hard it is to make it as a pro.

Aside from Matt Jarvis, none of our side that night really broke through to our first team. You'd expect Liverpool's side to have had a few playing to a decent standard but only Lee Peltier and Danny Guthrie have carved a reasonable career in the game.

Good luck to our GFC youth, they are the club`s lifeblood. It`s so nice to see any of our lads breakthrough to the EFL, preferably in a Gills shirt !

A few of those had the odd first team outing for us, but you’re right, none became proper first team players (Matty aside, of course).

I did quite like Edusei when he made a few random appearances under Jepson (?). Thought he showed potential.

Danny Knowles was in the year below me at (the same) school though - in case anyone cares.

The match is scheduled for Tues 5/11, 19.30 ko. Win that and we are at home to Wimbledon in rd 2.