FA Cup Replays | Page 3 | Vital Football

FA Cup Replays

Tranmere hitting the nail firmly on the head. Zero consultation with EFL clubs on this decision

Yes, the full statement articulates the situation very clearly and succinctly

Lots of statements from clubs flying across social media now. I know Clive Nates has already responded but it would be great to see our club channels condemn it in a statement as well, highlighting the Ipswich at home tie as to why they’re so important.

Disgraceful decision, needs to be overturned. Replays can be the lifeline to many lower league clubs. Who gets to vote on such a decision? Is it just the powerful six? What have the other Premiership teams said about it? They are all shareholders so a majority have agreed? The bloody snakes.

It’s an old habit though; Julius Caesar A2 S1:

“That lowliness is young ambition's ladder,
Whereto the climber-upward turns his face;
But when he once attains the upmost round
He then unto the ladder turns his back,
Looks in the clouds, scorning the base degrees
By which he did ascend.”

Well done to all Clubs that have condemned the action. At least start by banning Premier under 21 sides from all cups involving EFL sides.

The Chairs of all EFL clubs need to get together and provide a strategy to get this decision changed. They can try to get some Premiership chairmen to give their support but for reasons above that is unlikely to happen.

It’s power gone mad.

OK, my two-pennyworth (for what it’s worth).
I confess to not knowing enough about the decision making structure of football, apart from the fact the FA and EFL basically run the run the two main ‘competitions’. This is probably through losing touch a bit with being in Aus for almost 20 years now. I do know that there has been an enormous rise in the last couple of decades of overseas owners and those who put so much money into the game (and many other sports) that they have become a rich persons play thing. The money that is ploughed into ‘sport’ these days (tennis, cricket, golf, Formula 1, American football, baseball and basketball, etc) is obscene - how can you possibly justify paying over 100 million (dollars/pounds/Euros) for one player when there are wars going on and people are starving around the World. I do wonder though whether words of anger are enough and maybe it’s time the fans, the clubs and the public in general stood up and fought back against the ‘authorities’ in sport. In this particular case, the Premier League as the people that run the league have over the years been involved in ways to devalue the wider game and all it stands for the benefit of ‘elite sport’. It’s changed from a working man’s game/pleasure, for the benefit of all supporters, to a massive money-making business. The Premier League gets richer and more powerful and influential, to the detriment of the lower leagues and grass roots football. How about actually going one step further than words and finding a proper organised (peaceful) way of getting at the authorities and decision makers? There must be those in influential positions who can organise a proper ‘revolution’ against these people/organisations, legally or organisationally. Is being on the FA/EFL a democratic process (does the Premier League have its own decision makers? Why does it need to have one - that sets it apart from the rest of the football pyramid anyway - if so let’s find a legal way of changing the system and kicking them out of their positions and ‘electing’ people who have the best interests of the game & the fans at heart. Do they make any money from their positions (possibly not unless they get kick-backs from sponsors, etc 🤔🙄🫣🤬). Hit them in the pocket. Mass demonstrations outside the FA and EFL (PL?) HQs - swamp them with anything and everything to show what a bunch of ruinous, selfish, manipulators they are.

I know people from other clubs will say that it seems almost hypocritical that our beloved ‘little’ club LCFC has taken on US and South African investors in the last few years. I would make the point, however, that (as far as I am aware) these lovely people seem to be the exception rather than the rule as they have demonstrated that they have the best interests of the club, the fans and the community at heart and have built the club up in a wholly responsible, sustainable and accountably open way (and I hope that doesn’t come back to bite me in the the next few years - seems unlikely given the wider public recognition the club and it’s officials, owners and investors have consistently received on a regular basis).

The whole thing has become a lot more complicated than my simplistic and maybe naive view, but I just hope that others more knowledgeable than me can develop and add the necessary thought process to a serious wider conversation to change the ‘people’s game’ for the good of the people instead of the big business /individual mega-money ‘influencers’. There has to be a far more balanced, equitable and sensible approach than currently exists

Rant over. Up the Imps and football (non-Premiershite).

The utter contempt shown by the Premier League is breathtaking. The FA are terrified of losing the main players to a European league so will agree to absolutely anything to prevent this from happening.

We need external regulation now, not tomorrow, not the day after and give it some teeth to let the six clubs know that they can not ride roughshod over everyone else. We also need a strong statement from LCFC to firmly align the club with the overwhelming majority.

I have signed the petition as well.
The Premier League have once again showed total contempt for the rest of the football pyramid. But the biggest culprits for me are the FA who have sold out their most historically prestigious competition with no concern for the future of football in this country .
We need to get thousands of signatures on this petition and take what ever legitimate action we can to overturn this.
Of course the governments independent football regulator will be able to look into this. Actually I am joking because that appointment that has been promised for so long will probably never happen.

Agree with everything that has been said above including cutting the Premier League adrift.
Diffucult to achieve however as there are a number of clubs who see themselves as only temporarily out of it and many more who aspire to get into it.
It should never have been allowed to happen in the first place. What was wrong with the old First Division as the pinnacle of four professional leagues?
Personally I can barely bring myself to watch Match of the Day these days let alone a live televised game. The same goes for England. I never thought I would say that.

Election round the corner, time for political intervention, I fear nationization of football in this country (if that's even possible) is the only thing that will save football in the long run. The parasites at the top of the pyramid if left to their own devices will destroy it. There was an article in the paper the other day that claimed the top clubs were also looking at getting rid of season tickets altogether because such is demand, they can generate far more money without discounting season tickets,they truly have a complete and utter disregard towards their own fans, I absolutely despise them.

Last edited:
OK, my two-pennyworth (for what it’s worth).
I confess to not knowing enough about the decision making structure of football, apart from the fact the FA and EFL basically run the run the two main ‘competitions’. This is probably through losing touch a bit with being in Aus for almost 20 years now. I do know that there has been an enormous rise in the last couple of decades of overseas owners and those who put so much money into the game (and many other sports) that they have become a rich persons play thing. The money that is ploughed into ‘sport’ these days (tennis, cricket, golf, Formula 1, American football, baseball and basketball, etc) is obscene - how can you possibly justify paying over 100 million (dollars/pounds/Euros) for one player when there are wars going on and people are starving around the World. I do wonder though whether words of anger are enough and maybe it’s time the fans, the clubs and the public in general stood up and fought back against the ‘authorities’ in sport. In this particular case, the Premier League as the people that run the league have over the years been involved in ways to devalue the wider game and all it stands for the benefit of ‘elite sport’. It’s changed from a working man’s game/pleasure, for the benefit of all supporters, to a massive money-making business. The Premier League gets richer and more powerful and influential, to the detriment of the lower leagues and grass roots football. How about actually going one step further than words and finding a proper organised (peaceful) way of getting at the authorities and decision makers? There must be those in influential positions who can organise a proper ‘revolution’ against these people/organisations, legally or organisationally. Is being on the FA/EFL a democratic process (does the Premier League have its own decision makers? Why does it need to have one - that sets it apart from the rest of the football pyramid anyway - if so let’s find a legal way of changing the system and kicking them out of their positions and ‘electing’ people who have the best interests of the game & the fans at heart. Do they make any money from their positions (possibly not unless they get kick-backs from sponsors, etc 🤔🙄🫣🤬). Hit them in the pocket. Mass demonstrations outside the FA and EFL (PL?) HQs - swamp them with anything and everything to show what a bunch of ruinous, selfish, manipulators they are.

I know people from other clubs will say that it seems almost hypocritical that our beloved ‘little’ club LCFC has taken on US and South African investors in the last few years. I would make the point, however, that (as far as I am aware) these lovely people seem to be the exception rather than the rule as they have demonstrated that they have the best interests of the club, the fans and the community at heart and have built the club up in a wholly responsible, sustainable and accountably open way (and I hope that doesn’t come back to bite me in the the next few years - seems unlikely given the wider public recognition the club and it’s officials, owners and investors have consistently received on a regular basis).

The whole thing has become a lot more complicated than my simplistic and maybe naive view, but I just hope that others more knowledgeable than me can develop and add the necessary thought process to a serious wider conversation to change the ‘people’s game’ for the good of the people instead of the big business /individual mega-money ‘influencers’. There has to be a far more balanced, equitable and sensible approach than currently exists

Rant over. Up the Imps and football (non-Premiershite).
Just to correct your opening statement the Premier League is not run by the FA (obviously not by the EFL either), far from it . It runs itself

The FA is claiming the move was agreed by four representatives from the EFL (via the 'Professional Game Board'):

If true, I would love to know who those four are, and why it was agreed without referring to either its member clubs or their supporters.

And where is the consent from the other 640 clubs who entered the FA Cup this season?

The FA is claiming the move was agreed by four representatives from the EFL (via the 'Professional Game Board'):

If true, I would love to know who those four are, and why it was agreed without referring to either its member clubs or their supporters.

And where is the consent from the other 640 clubs who entered the FA Cup this season?
Leeds, Southampton, Leicester and Ipswich?