FA Cup Replays | Vital Football

FA Cup Replays

impsimps

Vital Football Hero
Seven years tomorrow since we beat Ipswich 1-0 in a replay, just watched Bristol City beat West Ham in a good game and it showed how much it meant to them in front of 25,000. The FA want to get rid of 3rd Round Replays for the benefit of the Premiership, how daft and short sighted is that !

Seven years tomorrow since we beat Ipswich 1-0 in a replay, just watched Bristol City beat West Ham in a good game and it showed how much it meant to them in front of 25,000. The FA want to get rid of 3rd Round Replays for the benefit of the Premiership, how daft and short sighted is that !
What's the old saying, "none so blind as those that will not see"?
Think we've all got used to the big clubs getting their way, and they will again. They certainly don't care about our moments in the sun or our existence.

The broadcasting fee per club for televised FA Cup third round matches is £85,000 this season - compare that with the Premier League where every game is currently worth over £9m between the two clubs. The prize money for winning the FA Cup is only £3.7m. You can see where the problem lies and why the big clubs are not remotely interested in the FA Cup.

I would give them a choice. Either have a replay or concede the game…..
That would not solve it either because it would devalue the competition further by almost allowing the big clubs to opt out completely; that would create a glorified Bristol Street Motors Trophy, played for by teams from outside the Premier League.

My proposal for scrapping replays if they have to be scrapped is where the two teams are from different leagues, if the team from the higher league does not beat the team from the lower league in the initial fixture, they are automatically knocked out of the cup and the lower league team progresses. If two teams are from the same league then a replay is mandatory...

I reckon it would be fine if it was just asking the two teams, and if one or both want it you can have a replay, if both don't then finish it with extra time/pens.

Yeah there's value in us getting a replay with a big team or a team drawing with Man United at home so they can get a big pay day away... but I'm not sure anyone really wants Brentford v Wolves or Bournemouth v Fulham twice.

The FA and Premier League have reached an agreement which means the FA Cup format will change from the 2024-25 season.

Starting next season, FA Cup replays will not take place from the first round onwards.

Also, Premier League to increase funding to football pyramid.

The FA and Premier League have reached an agreement which means the FA Cup format will change from the 2024-25 season.

Starting next season, FA Cup replays will not take place from the first round onwards.

Also, Premier League to increase funding to football pyramid.
Sounds like the 'smaller' Clubs are being shafted by the FA and Premier League yet again, expect 'compensation' will be minimal. Where would we have been without our Cup run to the quarter finals, including the Ipswich replay and tv money, probably no proper Training Ground.

Sounds like the 'smaller' Clubs are being shafted by the FA and Premier League yet again, expect 'compensation' will be minimal. Where would we have been without our Cup run to the quarter finals, including the Ipswich replay and tv money, probably no proper Training Ground.
Just wow, FIRST round! :shake:

I can't believe the majority of clubs L1 and below were in favour of that (unless it's a Steve Evans sized brown envelope they've bunged), and if not, what the Hell have rounds 1 and 2 got to do with the PL.

As for the FA, that's right - you just keep on eroding the oldest football tournament in the world. Just don't moan when you wake up and realise how impotent, irrelevant and powerless you have allowed yourselves to become.

The FA Vase this season all the games went straight to penalties, didn't even have extra time!

Just think! If the FA had done away with extra time and straight to penalties this season it would help those glorious premiershite clubs in Europe...........oh no, wait!

Last edited:
"
In its current format, the FA Cup has no replays from the fifth round onwards, but the FA says the move to eliminate them from an earlier stage has been made "in light of changes to the calendar driven by the expanded Uefa competitions".
"
the statement makes no sense. so you look for the reason for the fudged explanation... and 'changes to the calendar' from a different area entirely to 'expanded uefa competitions'

coincidence (no i don't think so either) that this is announced around the same time as sky prepare to televise more efl league games, therefore 'changing the calendar' in the efl league area?